Do you believe in God?

MrJones

aaaaahhhhhggg so immature!

For most people that don't believe in God it's like talking about the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Invisible Pink Unicorn

I don't believe in God, but I respect it if it makes you happy and/or if you make "good things" to go to Heaven or something. I mean, we all have lies in our lives, what if this lies make you a better person?

No one can prove (yet) if God exists or not, but my common sense tells me that he/she/it doesn't, but believers have the same evidence as me to talk about God's existence.

coyote

That's because after a while the level of disagreement and actual knowledge comes to a plateau resulting in a wall that is insurmountable and everyone involved just gives up. To take the edge off of any hard feelings or to lessen the suffering of thinking so hard we begin to make light of the whole thing. Its how humans cope. :D

not to mention, some of us have already been debating this issue longer than the other members have been alive - so our perspective has changed

Pookah

thats the thing, I said that enough evidence is out there, just people dont want to listen. Its typical of people to wanting to pretend to listen, while not really listening

And then an atheist comes in and shows you the anti-evidence and once again round and round we go.

Its probably better for those with LIKE mindsets to have the discussions. Very rarely will two opposing factions suddenly convince each other.

Here on the fence I can see everything and hopefully stay above the carnage. ;)

Pookah

Here's a fun question for atheists who want to have kids. Why?

Fun question for theists. Is your god/gods wrathful, indifferent, benevolent?

coyote

Here's a fun question for atheists who want to have kids. Why?

it's merely instinct - a part of being a human animal

"spreading seed" - keeping the gene pool alive

and the path to procreation is lots of fun to boot

Pookah

it's merely instinct - a part of being a human animal

"spreading seed" - keeping the gene pool alive

and the path to procreation is lots of fun to boot

But why would you want to subject them to this place? Subject them to being alive only to be eventually wiped from existence?

lunaticbinge

"Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

Noop

the idea of god is just that, an idea.

if they "do" exist they must be a cowed for not caring for, or helping the weak. after all, aren't we based on their design.

up yours god.

coyote

But why would you want to subject them to this place? Subject them to being alive only to be eventually wiped from existence?

a person will exist if they were meant to - it just works out that way

while they exist in this universe, they are merely here to be who they are

until it's time for them not to be here any more

it's all a very beautiful thing

Pookah

because it does exist

there is no "reason" to keep the gene-pool alive

it is in our nature

But people into science and stuff are all about being "creatures of reason." They go around spouting about belief being inferior and stuff and then go ahead and give into biology.

coyote

But people into science and stuff are all about being "creatures of reason." You can't go around spouting about belief being inferior and stuff and then go ahead and give into biology.

i think you have me confused with someone else

Pookah

a person will exist if they were meant to - it just works out that way

while they exist in this universe, they are merely here to be who they are

until it's time for them not to be here any more

it's all a very beautiful thing

I find that to be unbeautiful. I find the prospect of being here and then not, against my will, to be TERRIFYING and CRUEL.

Rembrandt Broam

Well apart from the fact that making babies is fun ;) isn't it better to be alive even for a brief time before being wiped from existence, rather than never existing in the first place?

B

Beatrice

Well apart from the fact that making babies is fun ;) isn't it better to be alive even for a brief time before being wiped from existence, rather than never existing in the first place?

No. Not in my opinion. I'm with the Greeks - man is better if he had never been born. Or whatever the saying is.

coyote

I find that to be unbeautiful. I find the prospect of being here and then not, against my will, to be TERRIFYING and CRUEL.

i would recommend learning to accept it

we have no control over anything

so quit trying to grasp for things beyond your reach

it's very freeing

Rembrandt Broam

No. Not in my opinion. I'm with the Greeks - man is better if he had never been born. Or whatever the saying is.

I suppose that depends on your situation. I can understand how some people's lives are such that they would definitely feel that way. However when I take all aspects of my life into consideration, I am glad I have the opportunity to be here for however long I may have.