deleting facebook

I think Im going to delete my facebook account, like properly delete it this time not just deactivate it.

With it I 'could' in theory stay in touch with people... of course I don't...but technically I could.

I've been thinking about it a lot.

Why is it so hard to do...I hate facebook it should be the easiest thing in the world to delete it...but it isn't.

I think its because its the the only contact I have with a lot of people I used to know.

Last edited:
I used to browse Facebook A LOT and whenever I was bored or I felt awkward in public or class when I had nothing to do and just browse Facebook and feel less awkward, basically just make yourself busy with something so you don't feel as awkward. :/
But then I decided to not visit it much, I wouldnt wanna delete it cuz I still use it for messaging and stuff. It's kinda like calling you know, most people text now a days of course people call too but mostly texts. You can say facebooks is like that too.
Don't delete, just reduce the times you go onto it.

Last edited:

Deco

I deleted mine a few months ago.
Can't you keep in contact just by using other ways, like Skype?
But the only reason I see for keeping Facebook is the one you mentioned or if you work in a field that requires you to have a FB account.
You have 14 days after deleting to go back and reactivate your profile.

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I think Im going to delete my facebook account, like properly delete it this time not just deactivate it.

With it I 'could' in theory stay in touch with people... of course I don't...but technically I could.

I've been thinking about it a lot.

Why is it so hard to do...I hate facebook it should be the easiest thing in the world to delete it...but it isn't.

I think its because its the the only contact I have with a lot of people I used to know.

I know the feelin'. I can't bring myself to delete my Facebook account for the very same reasons you mentioned. Even though I just created my account on Facebook to stop my sister hassling me about it constantly. I never actually wanted to or had any interest in joining Facebook.

S_Spartan

Throw off all that vile evilness and come to the light, oh weary soul! :p

Leave social media to the validation junkies! Which is about what 95% of it is.

Sacrament

If you're finding it so hard to delete it, then you don't really hate it as much as you say, you just feel bad when you see other people being social, having fun, etc.

fate12321

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. My closest friends mostly contacts me through texting. By the way, the majority of the people I have on there I don't really message. I mostly use facebook for games that require facebook access.

Phoenixx

I deleted my facebook a few years ago when I was in high school. I honestly felt so much better without it. I didn't feel that constant nag like I needed to know what everyone was up to.

I have Facebook again now though, just because I live too far from everyone I know and it's a good way to keep in touch with them. I still find myself comparing my life to everyone else's and feeling down about it when I spend too much time on there. When I get like that, then I stop visiting for a few days or so. I couldn't deactivate it now because it's how I keep in contact with the people closest to me. I mean, yeah there's text, but it's just easier to use facebook. I can type a lot faster and more efficiently on a keyboard on my computer than my phone. (Because I don't have a smartphone like everyone else, unfortunately.)

Hoppy

My favourite facebook quote was the guy who said "The unfollow button makes facebook so much more interesting."

I have very few people on facebook, but some family, lots of crafty stuff and cute puppies. That keeps me as busy as I want to be.

SCP-087-1

I still have facebook and I don't plan to delete it. It's not a constant effort to maintain or anything. I have unfollowed a lot of people because they piss me off so much

Marshmallow

I've kept mine, I guess because I'm fairly indecisive in general, but I rarely check it anymore and no longer have a use for it. It was useful in the past when people organised 'events' and such for meeting up and I had to communicate with people for group projects and stuff. I've replaced facebook with forums now anyway.

Deco

I'm almost 100% sure if it wasn't for Facebook or any other type of social media, my social life would be much better. Just like it was a few years ago. In the days people cared about real friends more than status.

DekKO

I deactivate mine often but always come back :sad: I haven't opened it back up in three days so I'm pretty proud. Only reason I deactivate it is because I still want to have all the posts and pictures I've had on there but it really just gives me the option to return which I always do hahaha. Good luck though. It is really difficult but it does make you feel better after awhile.

nicole1

I deleted it and I'm not looking back. People on there are way too judgmental and often cruel. I decided it was no longer useful to me. Once I've collected all of my data, I will permanently delete it. Being away from a lot of people who I've met on there has given me the power to just let them go. I have some contact details but other than that, I'm over Facebook. It use to be more private but with more advanced changes to be more of social sharing site, it no longer appealed to me. I'm much happier without it. I'm experiencing real life a bit better and not relying on online social interaction. Plus, I found out I don't need a profile for Candy Crush Saga.

Even though I don't use it, I know it's there. I know that if I wanted to I could get in touch with people-people who I would otherwise probably never see or hear from again. And theres something really sad about cutting those ties....however loosely bound they are, its a connection to a world I used to be in and I don't have many. bit sad really

nicsa

i am constantly changing my mind. i deleted my facebook for like the tenth time last weekend cos i went crazy and posted a desperate status and msgd an ex best friend to tell her she was a bitch. i actually feel more free being released from it... you can always re-activate of course but only good will come from having a break every now and then. sometimes it can be a bit much with info overload and i only really go on it for petitions, news and family. i dont miss it at all.

Ransfordrowe

Unfortunetly big social sites in theory could be a big force for good and unity.Some people use it make friends,keep in touch but I think many use it to boast,to be seen,to jump on the bandwagon etc.Often its easy to be lost in the crowd on those sites.Loss of people shouting to get attention.

MollyBeGood

Even though I don't use it, I know it's there. I know that if I wanted to I could get in touch with people-people who I would otherwise probably never see or hear from again. And theres something really sad about cutting those ties....however loosely bound they are, its a connection to a world I used to be in and I don't have many. bit sad really

You used the word "sad" twice about your feelings about not keeping in touch with people. I think you should continue to work on reforming those relationships based on your emotional response to not having those people in your life anymore.

I don't use an FB account with my real name. I have a fake name and use it to subscribe to pages I like to read about. I have a few contacts I made here and that is it. I wonder if people think I am dead because I don't have one? Lol. I honestly don't care. I guess I am jaded but I really dislike social media on concept. It reminds me of HS popularity contests. I was soooooo glad to leave that world I do not plan to regress.

I deleted my Facebook account 6 months ago for pretty much the same reasons as the other posters here. The site just wasn't useful to me anymore. It brought only negative things into my mind. Just lots of comparing my life to other lives - mostly people I haven't talked to in 3, 5, 8 years. I realized I really didn't care about what those people were doing, and that what they choose to post on FB probably isn't an accurate representation anyway.

One of the big things that kept me on there was the thought that I might some day want to talk to some of these people again. The fact is, I didn't talk to anyone on there. The people that ARE really important all have my phone number, or email, or know where I live, and can contact me one of those ways. Being on Facebook wasn't actually helping me make or maintain any connections; It just kept old connections I don't have anymore, hanging around in my mind and on my computer screen. People will come and go in life, and Facebook was making it difficult to let them go.

Besides this there are all the privacy implications of Facebook which is another reason I deleted it. I actually tried to make a new account under a false name at one point, so that I could still use it to contact people without people being able to look up my name. I found that I was unable to activate the new account without providing a phone number - undoubtedly to cross-check that with existing accounts to see if it's a duplicate. Since I only have one phone number, I stopped right there.

As it stands my account has been deleted for half a year, and the last time I actually used FB was almost a whole year ago. The only regret I've had is that I forgot to save some of my pictures. I have had no reason to open a new account.