deleting facebook

w*n*c*a*m

Well, I do the opposite. I think Facebook is a great tool for learning to appreciate yourself.

You see, people get pissed off with Facebook because they affected with people's post. But if you think of it, deleting your Facebook account doesn't really solve the issue. The frustration, the jealousy and insecurity will still be there.

In my case, what I did is to immerse myself totally with the Facebook newsfeeds and learn to see it in a more positive light. I learned not to compare myself and to appreciate other people's happiness. Sometimes I still feel a bit envious but that's normal I guess. What is gone now is the Bitterness. I can look at their travel pics, selfies and random posts without getting irked or feeling sorry for myself. Sometimes there are still people that annoys me (some are really narcissistic in a very annoying way like posting 10 continuous selfies in one day. Damn that is way too much for me to tolerate lol) but hey, it's no big deal... I just shrug it off or unfollow them. I think that's the healthy response--- to not make petty things like that affect me and change my perception of Facebook.

Luckylife

I have a Facebook account but few FB friends, it feels all wrong if you meet someone in person then 'add as Friend', much like you will not see them in person again. It makes little odds I suppose, but one thing I do is post lots of pictures, they mean so much more than obscure quotes. If there is anything to be wary of on Facebook it is people with fictitious usernames - often this is to do with illicit drug networks. The Interweb might seem to promise so much, but it is only a graphic interface and won't do the dishes or mow the lawn nor make you lose 25lb - obvious really but try telling that to a rebellious teenager. Having said all this I will continue to have a FB page.

chibiXphantom

i deleted facebook a few years ago. i have created an account a few times since, but usually would just delete it again within a week, finding it to be useless to me.
i dont care about people that i went to high school with or seeing what people i barely talk to are up to.
the people i actually want to talk to, i just text them or email them or talk to them in person.
i prefer to know what people are doing with their lives and what interests they have by actually talking to them, not just scanning their facebook page. and i prefer people find out things about me by actually talking to me.
ive disliked facebook since it replaced myspace (i liked myspace...). i just dont like it

ONline87_15793

i agree with you.
The last day of decemeber i deleted my facebook account for privacy reanson. Mark Zuckenberg policy it's disturbed. i don't want that my meta-data would be shared for over the world. Every information i share on the net must be protected!

Unfortunally for a school exchange that i didn't i created another account just to be linked with the person i COULD BEEN live with. But my father says that there is not enough money and i staied ad home. Damn it!

Now i have facebook but less than 120 friends and only 10 groups just to the essenzial. I would monitoring my information on the net.

Zaki

Yeah I should just get on with it and get rid of my account. I rarely visit the site at this point anyway. FB is such a lame bragfest to me.

Megaten

The "unfollow" button is the best thing on Facebook. You can stay connected to people but dont have to be bombarded with their posts every time you log in. I'd like to be done with it too, but not being connected digitally is starting to become the equivalent to not having a phone. It just cuts you off from a lot of the world. So many people now would rather give you their facebook than their phone number these days.

The "unfollow" button is the best thing on Facebook. You can stay connected to people but dont have to be bombarded with their posts every time you log in. I'd like to be done with it too, but not being connected digitally is starting to become the equivalent to not having a phone. It just cuts you off from a lot of the world. So many people now would rather give you their facebook than their phone number these days.

Agreed. Facebook has replaced the phone in that sense, or rather become paired with it - but phones are just computers now. Which is really interesting if you think about all of it...

Unfollow button, delete/block, moderating time spent on FB - all good when necessary ;)

Sweetdarlin

I deleted my facebook account over two years ago and have not regretted it whatsoever. I only created the account to keep up with social events at my school but quickly found it annoying. In the beginning, it was fun because it was new to me. But after awhile I found that it was hard for me to have real interactions with these people that were my "friends" on facebook. I struggle with social interactions and it felt like using the site just made that a lot worse. So I gave it up to have something real and it's great. Then again not everyone has social awkwardness, so I'm sure they can adapt to it just fine.

It was the best decision for me to work on my anxiety because now I have to talk and open up to people instead of just a computer screen.

P.S. You also find out who your true friends are. (Cliché, I know but it's the truth.)

w*n*c*a*m

Why do people see Facebook as hindrance for interacting with friends in real life. AFAIK Facebook makes you reach out to them. If you think Facebook is making a bad effect in your life then something's wrong with the way you use it. I think we're just blaming all these things on Facebook but really people don't want to face the reality that their lives are so boring compared to what they see in their friend's post. So they delete it.

I think we're just blaming all these things on Facebook but really people don't want to face the reality that their lives are so boring compared to what they see in their friend's post. So they delete it.

That's not my issue with facebook. My issue is that 'facebook' has access to information about me, even with restrictions and privacy settings and being careful what I post. By knowing who I'm friends with and what my friends post, fb can deduce a lot about me. I feel exposed. I don't like that. The age of too much information. I'm a highly private person.

w*n*c*a*m

That's not my issue with facebook. My issue is that 'facebook' has access to information about me, even with restrictions and privacy settings and being careful what I post. By knowing who I'm friends with and what my friends post, fb can deduce a lot about me. I feel exposed. I don't like that. The age of too much information. I'm a highly private person.

What privacy issue are you exactly concerned about?

Nanita

I have deactivated mine a couple of times, because of all the negative feelings I get when I see what a lot of people are up to and how full of content their lives are. Back whn it wasn't an option to unfollow fcebook friends, I deleted several people because I either felt too bad about getting constant reminders of their happiness, and other people I deleted because I felt it was way too shallow and fake to be in touch/witness each others facebook activities, like hellooo, I wouldn't even talk to this person irl anymore, so why be fake facebook friends....

Also it makes me feel weird that everybody sees my facebook activities, but at least now it's possible to limit who gets to see what u share.

Nowadays I just unfollow people if I don't feel good about seeing them there.

Mostly I use facebook to follow/read news from bands, artists or politicians that I like. And then those people I actually like communicating with.

Megaten

Agreed. Facebook has replaced the phone in that sense, or rather become paired with it - but phones are just computers now. Which is really interesting if you think about all of it...

Unfollow button, delete/block, moderating time spent on FB - all good when necessary ;)

Really scary too since theres a lot of people I dont think should be allowed to use the internet lmbo.

HexNoir

I deleted my facebook a long time ago, but I can't go around recommending that everyone else does the same, because we're all different. Facebook just served no purpose in my life; I have a phone for people who I want genuine contact with. FB is more of a popularity contest to me anyway, and I think it really knows how to bring out the inner narcissist in people.

Frizzbomb

I read this thread with interest, and took advice by unfollowing those people who post about what a great time they're having out with their friends who are people I 'interact' with but who do not wish to include me in anything.

I think it's going to be good for me.

Requiescat

I deleted my account because I thought it was creepy just browsing through profiles. I also thought that it was probably morally wrong snooping into the lives of people I was no longer involved with in any way. Another reason is that it kind of kept me looking to the past, or like a ghost that couldn't move on and instead just watched on from the outside as others actually lived their lives. It's somewhat depressing in that way, so I decided that if I was not going to be a part of their lives I wanted no more of them, not even on Facebook. I want to keep myself motivated and looking forward, not backward. So my new objectives have been set and I will work on those diligently and hopefully the next time I have an opportunity to make a friend I won't screw it up. That's something to look forward to.

I had to take my own advice and take a break from it, spending too much time on it depresses me and makes me anxious sometimes. I used to delete my profile like once a year before :rolleyes: Now I see it's necessary to have one, but I don't want to feel like a slave to it. Internet/social media vacations should be a thing in this age :p

What privacy issue are you exactly concerned about?

A big corporation having access to all this information about me. Even if I don't post anything they can get plenty of information by who Im friends with and what my friends like and post. Lots of companies now encourage people to contact them through social media. I totally object to that too.