[Deleted for personal reasons]

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
That's useful. Thanks. ;3

But my concern lies more with people whom might not have this addon installed. They might still be heavily influenced by these type of adds.

Hence why I started this thread. :3

Not really sure how we could help them. I'm guessing the webmaster wouldn't appreciate a stickied thread about how to get rid of ads. ::p:

Actually, that particular ad you posted was pretty nasty. Maybe you could report it to the webmaster?

Oh, that not a bad idea. I could do that I suppose. :3

I'll do it after I've finished dinner and some other minor tasks I still need to do.

Luke1993

Well I guess that's how the site makes the money to run, through those ads. But yeah I got that addon some time ago and actually forgot this site had them! I'm guessing there is some sort of "ad database" and then it chooses the ads based on what they think is relevant from key words this site has "social skills" "confidence" "anxiety"

coyote

"Attention: You are a Pathetic Joke"
"Click Here or stay a loser for life!"

Wow - that pretty much sums up most commercial advertising

Is it any wonder that we feel bad about ourselves when we are told over and over again that we should, relentlessly, everywhere we turn?

"Your floors are horrible and nasty - you are a bad person for allowing them to be that way. BUT - if you buy Wonder-Scrub, you will be awesome, and your life will be beautiful!"

philly2bits

"Attention: You are a Pathetic Joke"
"Click Here or stay a loser for life!"

Wow - that pretty much sums up most commercial advertising

Is it any wonder that we feel bad about ourselves when we are told over and over again that we should, relentlessly, everywhere we turn?

"Your floors are horrible and nasty - you are a bad person for allowing them to be that way. BUT - if you buy Wonder-Scrub, you will be awesome, and your life will be beautiful!"

True. I'd hate to see what cigarette companies would putting on TV if they were allowed today. :eek:

On topic, it's best to get adblock plus or just ignore the ads.

Last edited:

Rembrandt Broam

I actually laughed out loud at that ad.

It's the guy in the ad I feel sorry for. I wonder if they told him his picture would be displayed beneath the banner "Attention...You Are A Pathetic Joke!"

They probably told him he would be advertising the lateste Gillette razor blade or something. :D

True. I'd hate to see what cigarette companies would putting on TV if they were allowed today. :eek:

On topic, it's best to get adblock plus or just ignore the ads. The webmaster is not very open to suggestions when it comes to the money aspect of this site.

^totally.

When I first joined here, the ads did make me go "wtf?"... but later, I just don't "see" them anymore :). I think most people realize that those ads are just ridiculous - though I have to admit, I did almost click on one once, because I was just feeling super ****ty that day :/

hippiechild

SPW has always been on the cutting edge of advertising absurdity! Personally, that's half the reason I come here, for the latest and greatest in marketing genius ::p:

awkwardamanda

I have adblock but then I usually don't even bother trying to block the ads. Meh. I keep the ads on the side of the main page hidden (click the minus at the top of each box), but there's still a few elsewhere on the site. The one that really pisses me off is the one that says "I'm popular and you're not." I should probably block that one anyway. I notice there's often a lot of "guests" at the site. They should know that they should sign up and log in to make the ads less of a nuisance. If you browse the forums like that, they'll show up right in the fricken middle of a post. I never thought about it, but maybe that does scare some people off.

Feathers

lol I was wondering 'which ads' but then I saw them last night and today.. a bit annoying, yeah.. but I couldn't help grinning too!! (They seem real dorky and sleazy, wonder if anyone actually hits the button? You might also consider writing to that company it's achieving the opposite and is insulting for people with SA?? Might be more effective than writing to Webmaster?)

Ignace

I don't care about seeing such ads. I don't use adblockers, I just don't see them anymore, you get used to it. Besides, without ads, we probably wouldn't be here. ;)

Feathers

I thought they went away, but they reappeared - I clicked on them just to see who to write a complaint to, but it seems one of those anonymous sites - has anyone actually managed to find out the e-mail address or the person/s or companies marketing this to write to?
(I don't dare to actually subscribe to anything by them lol!)

awkwardamanda

I don't think complaining to the companies whose ads are appearing is really gonna do anything. Usually the ads are chosen by a program, based on words on the page. These companies may not have a clue how insensitive their ads are. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.:rolleyes: Some examples:
http://m.mediapost.com/publications/101/LI-TheAdPlacementTightrope-b.jpg
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/fail-owned-fire-fire-fail.jpg?w=500&h=413
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uuOo8x3WXWE/RsMaalOPqOI/AAAAAAAAE-o/RHIIGquBy8E/s400/Ad-2.jpg
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fail-owned-baby-burn-ad-placement-fail1.jpg