Cutting

SplosionDude

Hey,

I was just curious if anyone on here hurts themselves or has ever resorted to hurting themselves when they get overwhelmed by everything that comes with avpd or ocd or whatever challenge you have in your life? Also, why do you do it? i know it's different for different people.

I do it cause it does result in me feeling better for a little while afterwards. THere's another reason, though. I also do it because it sort of makes me feel like an....interesting person. I seem to feel boring/dull/inferior compared to other people all the time, but knowing i cut myself kind of makes me feel like i do have something interesting about me and who i am. I don't know, it's quite strange/hard to explain.

Danfalc

Banned
I struggled with self harming for a long time especialy when I was younger.Its been proven its physicaly addictive as it does make you feel better,as when you self harm the body produces seatonine which is like a natrual high and makes you feel better.

But it's so not worth it,people tend to cut deeper the longer they have been doing it,and trust me,the short feeling you get isnt worth all the scars you end up with.It will just fuel your low self esteem when your older because you will feel self concious about them.

(Edit)Plus I dont know if you have any brothers and sisters?But imagine how you would feel if someone you cared about started harming themselves,I know its a hard habit to break but try and be strong for the people who care about you.

Last edited:

Krista

Hmm, it's always interesting to hear people talk about this because I've been depressed before. Severely. But I've never understood the pleasure or release of cutting yourself? To me it's like "Well now I feel even more like sh*t and my arm is bleeding.." or something to that effect.

nopark

Never hurt myself. Most of my efforts are about hiding my problems from other people. But mostly I agree with Krista. And... Doesn't it hurt? Maybe I'm just a wuss, but that's a pretty big deterrent for me too!

I'm in recovery from SI; it's been about three years since I cut on a regular basis, but I do have the occasional slip-up.

I did it for multiple reasons--foremost was the fact that I felt the need to punish myself when I did something stupid or when I didn't do as well as I had wanted to. Another reason was to calm myself down in high anxiety situations. If I knew I was going to have to talk to a lot of people (for example, if I was going to a party), I would normally cut beforehand to ground myself before I left, and then I'd cut afterward to calm myself down from all the anxiety that I had felt throughout the situation. For a long time, I wasn't able to sleep unless I had cut before going to bed. It was a very calming thing for me.

It really is a vicious cycle. Sometimes I would cut because I had cut. It was like, "Well, damn, I did that and now I'm going to have to hide that, I'm an idiot, so let's do it some more in a place that no one will see." And, as Danfalc said, the longer you do it, the worse it gets.

Krista

Never hurt myself. Most of my efforts are about hiding my problems from other people. But mostly I agree with Krista. And... Doesn't it hurt? Maybe I'm just a wuss, but that's a pretty big deterrent for me too!

My point exactly. I guess it's depending on the person, if it makes them feel better or not but it hurts. It's like having a crappy day and cutting yourself while shaving. Doesn't feel good.

My point exactly. I guess it's depending on the person, if it makes them feel better or not but it hurts. It's like having a crappy day and cutting yourself while shaving. Doesn't feel good.

For me it rarely hurt during the actual act of cutting, there was too much adrenaline (I guess). It was only after the fact that it hurt, and I always associated that part of it with the punishment aspect--I did this to myself and therefore I deserve this pain, and if I wasn't so stupid in the first place I wouldn't have cut and therefore wouldn't have to feel the pain. So next time I won't be so stupid, and I won't have to cut, and I won't be in pain.

Krista

I'm in recovery from SI; it's been about three years since I cut on a regular basis, but I do have the occasional slip-up.

I did it for multiple reasons--foremost was the fact that I felt the need to punish myself when I did something stupid or when I didn't do as well as I had wanted to. Another reason was to calm myself down in high anxiety situations. If I knew I was going to have to talk to a lot of people (for example, if I was going to a party), I would normally cut beforehand to ground myself before I left, and then I'd cut afterward to calm myself down from all the anxiety that I had felt throughout the situation. For a long time, I wasn't able to sleep unless I had cut before going to bed. It was a very calming thing for me.

It really is a vicious cycle. Sometimes I would cut because I had cut. It was like, "Well, damn, I did that and now I'm going to have to hide that, I'm an idiot, so let's do it some more in a place that no one will see." And, as Danfalc said, the longer you do it, the worse it gets.

If you don't mind, your answers make sense to me..as much as they can on why you do it but I'm wondering what it feels like to you? Is it the pain that you enjoy? Like the obvious way it feels when you get cut by something or does it feel totally different? Maybe it doesn't even feel like pain?

Luke1993

Hey,

I was just curious if anyone on here hurts themselves or has ever resorted to hurting themselves when they get overwhelmed by everything that comes with avpd or ocd or whatever challenge you have in your life? Also, why do you do it? i know it's different for different people.

I do it cause it does result in me feeling better for a little while afterwards. THere's another reason, though. I also do it because it sort of makes me feel like an....interesting person. I seem to feel boring/dull/inferior compared to other people all the time, but knowing i cut myself kind of makes me feel like i do have something interesting about me and who i am. I don't know, it's quite strange/hard to explain.

I used to do it, for the same reasons as you, to be more interesting, and for attention I think, although I hate to admit I'm an attention seeker. Eventually I stooped because I wasn't benefitting much from it, (Also maybe because I wasn't getting any attention? I don't know)

If you don't mind, your answers make sense to me..as much as they can on why you do it but I'm wondering what it feels like to you? Is it the pain that you enjoy? Like the obvious way it feels when you get cut by something or does it feel totally different? Maybe it doesn't even feel like pain?

I never felt pain during the actual act of cutting. If I did, I would stop. The pain would always hit afterward, and I felt as though I deserved all that pain and hassle--after all, I chose to do this to myself and therefore I had to man up and deal with the consequences. If I was so immature that I had to take this out on myself, then why should I expect it to be painless?

The grounding/anxiety relief aspect of it wasn't anything to do with the pain--I think that that was more to do with the fact that I was "mutilating" (way too strong a word) myself. So I would get immediate relief from the anxiety from the act of cutting, and then the later pain would be the punishment for whatever.

Nack

Banned
I've never did any SI, but sometimes i have this little urge to do so. I know what you're getting at Splosiondude, it have some correlation with emotion numbness; when it seems like nothing makes you feel anything, and you're just mellow all the time. By SI it makes you feel pain, its a extreme feeling; to make one feel alive.

doesit

Hey,

get some help speak to family or psychologist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baguette

i have never cut myself i almost did once but then i was like na **** this and that was the end of it. but i do punch my self when i get overwhelmed with anger or frustration, i never knew why i did it i have been doing it since i was a toddler.
i have no memory of my dad my mum left him when i was a baby but she said that he did it aswell so my problem is kinda genetic. i hate that i do it, its an embarrassing secret i keep and im smarter then this but it happens quite rarely now days and oneday it should be fully gone.

self harm is not a good thing you will have to wear those scares for the rest of you life.
i have a permanent swelling on my right cheek but its not to bad

BlaiseBLATES

I've been self-harming for the past six years of my life... I had a lot going on in my childhood and I saw no point. I wanted my parents to be happy and it seemed they couldn't be whilst I was there.
There was a lot of death too and I got bullied because I was always kinda upset about these things. They really got to me.
So yeah..I turned to self harm...I've tried everything to give up but maybe I'm just not ready...We'll see.
Message me if you ever need support (Y)

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I cut sometimes... My arms and forearms are covered with marks, I have a few marks on my legs too. I'm a monster.

lyricalliaisons

I've done weird things like bite myself when I'm very angry or upset & other small things, but I've never cut. I've had thoughts of doing it & dreams where I truly thought I had done it until I woke up & realized it wasn't real.

Noca

Banned
I rarely SI, when I due its because im in severe physical pain. I cut myself and focus on that pain which helps me forget about the rest of the pain im in, also it releases endorphins which help kill the rest of the pain im in and make me less depressed.