Clinically diagnosed or SELF Diagnosed??

hoddesdon

I have four psychiatrists' diagnoses, two from general practititioners and one from a psychologist. What is the record, by the way?

SilverRain

Self - I imagine most people are self-diagnosed as they are just worried of being blown off by the doctor, saying theres nothing wrong with them, like everybody else does.... :oops: :x
Agreed. I've got a clinical diagnosis now, but that has certainly been my stumbling block along the way.

Clinical diagnosis - Social Phobia and an Eating Disorder.
Self diagnosis - Avoidant and overly self-conscious.

When I mentioned AvPD to my Psychiatrist, she pretty much brushed it off as a branch of SP and said a person's exact issues would be explored in more detail during therapy.
I guess it's true what was said about AvPD being an older DSM characterization because all the health professionals appear to be grouping it under Social Phobia/Anxiety disorder now.

Seeing as treatment for either of them isn't so far different, I probably wouldn't worry so much about differentiating between the two, if it wasn't that I've also heard that SP is more about the fear responses, while AvPD has deeper negative cognitions. If that be the case then I'm definitely the latter and I'm afraid that (depending on the focus of my treatment) some of my issues will remain unresolved. That's the part that really has me worried about this.

The doctor first told me about SA. I told her about my symptoms, and she said I suffer from Social Phobia. And So a whole new world has opened my eyes, I was watching videos about SA, found this website, and knew what was happening to me. I never realized it had a name, I thought it was my personality, something was really wrong with me, I was thinking.
I still am not really diagnosed with it, but I KNOW that I suffer from it since a very very long time. And My clinic tells me I do to. and soon they will come with a diagnosis and i know like 100 % it will be SA and maybe another disorder.. So yeah , I hope I can get a real diagnosis soon :)

In a mostly pre-internet era I was clueless as to what was wrong with me until I blurted it out to a doctor who diagnosed social phobia.

Clinically diagonosed with SA while being treated for depression 11 or 12 years ago... recently self-diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Fortunateness self-diagnosed. AvPD, and many other possible things.

Edit: Fortunateness? Why did I write that? Unfortunately is what I meant.

Last edited:

Acegame

I am being diagnosed at the moment. Had an intake last week, but today i got a call they are not sure yet and want to speak with one of my parents. Very curious about it.

JamesSmith

Doctors know a lot that about the human body, but it's shocking about how much they don't know about anxiety. SAD is something that you actually have to have in order to truly understand it. Yes, I am self-diagnosed.

lavender

clinically diagnosed(agoraphobia, social phobia and anxiety), but I figured it out before hand :p

Fortunateness self-diagnosed. AvPD, and many other possible things.

Edit: Fortunateness? Why did I write that? Unfortunately is what I meant.

Way to go with making new words. Keep going. I do that a lot in Socialworld.

Self diagnosed. Doctors spin loops. Keep going around to make me pay more. No, sir, I don't like it.

Oxygen

Self. Started searching around the web a couple of years ago to find out what was going on with me. Planning on taking the next step soon and go talk to my doctor.