Cannot swallow pills....

Emily_G

I used to have a really hard time too. Now that I'm on prenatal vitamins and don't have a choice I've found it to be easier.

Noca

Banned
Start with thick pudding, move onto yogurt, milk, then water. Also start with small pills and work your way up.

I've gone from not being able to swallow a Zyrtec to being able to swallow a Percocet.

AngelSong

You just need to relax, and pretend that you aren't swallowing anything. It helps when you start out with small things, you could start out practicing with nerds candy or another small candy. Then work your way up to your pills.

agoraphobickatie

i couldn't swallow pills until i was probably 13 or 14.. i remember when i had braces, every time i went to the orthodontist to have them tightened up they would hurt like hell, my mom would have to put tylenol in a peppermint patty so i could swallow them, haha..

eventually i think i just was at a point where my only option was to take a pill (do you know how terrible aspirin tastes when it's crushed up in a spoonful of coca-cola?!?) and i just had to get over it... i still have trouble trying to swallow things, if it's a big pill i have to try a few times, but i take birth control and an anti depressant daily, so i have to do it anyway... i just get a little water in my mouth, put the pill in and drink a little more water and swallow.. good luck to ya! :)

FOR REAL

Banned
you could try tilting your head back, with the pill at the back of your throat, then gently rubbing your neck around the adams apple area. then it should easily just slide down your throat.
thats how you get cats to take worming tablets.

mismeek

try swallowing something small like a tic tac and working your way up... theres nothing wrong with just crushing it in your food.. thats what i do for really big pills. It doesnt taste very good but it gets the job done.

Noca

Banned
try swallowing something small like a tic tac and working your way up... theres nothing wrong with just crushing it in your food.. thats what i do for really big pills. It doesnt taste very good but it gets the job done.

DO NOT crush extended release medications. It will make them instant release and may result in an overdose.

Some medications, like Vyvanse, wont even work if you crush them, as they need to reach the intestines intact for the drug to even work.

What a Drag

Well, if it's extended release can't you just empty it out of the capsule if it's in those little things? I think that they're surrounded in the Certain polymers of different sizes, so that they work and dissolve at different times. It would work as long as you don't chew or crush them..

If you really can't swallow it you can crush it, or empty it out if it's not the type of pill that can be crushed, and put it in something. Certain things will taste absolutely disgusting though. I've always been able to swallow about 5 pills at once without any water, and everyone thinks it's weird. So you definitely have the ability to do it, it probably just feels weird.

Nack

Banned
You can always stick it in your butt, idk but i've seen my mum done that to my brother and sisters when they were kids.

Luke1993

What I have done is I put a pill in a banana, eat the banana but dont bite into the pill just swallow it all down I still find it difficult but eventually the pill goes down.

worrywort

I have trouble swallowing pills too! Always have. It's like when you're a kid your parents constantly warn you of the dangers of choking; "don't run with food in your mouth", "take that toy soldier out your mouth", "no chewing gum for you, you might choke" etc, then you reach adulthood and all of a sudden they love cramming all kinds of crap down your throat!

did you ever have any choking incidents when you were younger? I had a couple and I think that's why I have difficulty now. It's like I have this instinctive reflex resistance to it.

If I break up the pills into pieces and take them whilst eating something else, like a sandwich usually works best, then I can do it.

Damaged

I have so much trouble that i dont even bother anymore lol I've tried everything EVEN JELLY!!! :eek:

So yeah, whenever im sick i just deal with the pain lol silly i know, i had swine flu last year for like a week and i wouldnt take anything haha. Im a fighter :D

EscapeArtist

My younger sister is like this. She bought a device that crushes them for her, then she mixes it with OJ. Personally, i'd just try filling your mouth up full with water and pretending you're just drinking water... the tic tac is a good idea too

Luke1993

My younger sister is like this. She bought a device that crushes them for her, then she mixes it with OJ. Personally, i'd just try filling your mouth up full with water and pretending you're just drinking water... the tic tac is a good idea too

Yeah I've tried all that but the pill either stays on my tongue or goes under it hehe so I have to stick with using bananas for now, but hopefully I'll be able to use water.

Krista

No worries, a lot of people can't :)

I can't either, traumatic experience but so far I'm getting better at taking small things like ibuprofen, vitamins I'm not successful with yet. Seems when I get them in my mouth, I feel as if my throat will close up and they'll get lodged in esophagus but that's irrational fears. I praised the Lord when they came out with vitamin gummies for adults :D Laugh all you want!

Bama_Heath

My moms has this problem. She pretty much has to force them down. My problem is different because where I can physically take pills...psychologically I don't want to. Even when I have had surgeries in the past I will only take pain meds for like the first day and then tough the pain out. I also only sparingly take xanax for my anxiety problems because I don't want to be addicted or feel like I'm dependent on it. If my anxiety gets too bad though I will break down and take some.