BP Oil Spill

Pookah

I don't know if anyone has posted about this yet, I did a search but nothing came up. This whole oil spill debacle has been causing me anxiety as current affairs sometimes do.

I cannot believe that we can develop technology to go down and drill for oil beneath the floor of the ocean but these companies aren't required to have iron clad contingency plans in case of disaster.

This kind of thing reinforces my anxieties about the world at large. I can't help but feel our society is selfish and cruel and I find it hard to be a part of it.

iamthenra

Yeah, I hear ya... I had heard that if they had spent $500k for this emergency shut off valve that this mess would have been avoided. The valve from what I was told would have shut off the flow of oil... All because of corporate greed. The age of entitlement...

FOR REAL

Banned
i dont know what its like in other countries but in the uk, they mention things like that a wee bit. they dont disclose the whole story. they cover it up. thats how the news works here.
then they talk about politics and all that crap

Tiercel

I have an uncle who lives near New Orleans, so I've cared about that area more than most New Jerseyans probably do. He came back after Katrina and found that he had a wet towel. But he's always loved going fishing, and just poking around looking for snakes, lizards, and alligators. And now that his beloved coast, swamps, and marshes are royally screwed....

I don't even want to hear about it. They're so eager to go down there for the oil, but as soon as a preventable disaster happens they don't seem to know their asses from their elbows. So they fumble and bumble while so many species are either breeding or migrating through. And they damage the area for years to come.

Honestly it doesn't cause me any anxiety. It just pisses me the hell off.

And it pisses me off every time I see people filling up at the BP stations on Rt. 73. My family still never stops at an Exxon, and that spill was how long ago?

I'd really like to waterboard some people with their precious oil.

Ignace

Humanity screw up Earth, it will not take ages before something serious happens.

Pookah

I have an uncle who lives near New Orleans, so I've cared about that area more than most New Jerseyans probably do. He came back after Katrina and found that he had a wet towel. But he's always loved going fishing, and just poking around looking for snakes, lizards, and alligators. And now that his beloved coast, swamps, and marshes are royally screwed....

I don't even want to hear about it. They're so eager to go down there for the oil, but as soon as a preventable disaster happens they don't seem to know their asses from their elbows. So they fumble and bumble while so many species are either breeding or migrating through. And they damage the area for years to come.

Honestly it doesn't cause me any anxiety. It just pisses me the hell off.

And it pisses me off every time I see people filling up at the BP stations on Rt. 73. My family still never stops at an Exxon, and that spill was how long ago?

I'd really like to waterboard some people with their precious oil.

I get gas from the Super Wawa. Hope that ain't BP.

Tiercel

I get gas from the Super Wawa. Hope that ain't BP.

As far as I can tell, Super Wawa gas comes from a magical goose, which also makes sandwiches, provides chocolate milk, and even sells bacon and eggs.

I meant the actual BP stations with that stupid flower design. It's soooo tempting to get a can of brown spraypaint.....

Edit: I almost feel sorry for those who don't know about Super Wawas and regular Wawas. Almost.... ;)

Last edited:

Pookah

As far as I can tell, Super Wawa gas comes from a magical goose, which also makes sandwiches, provides chocolate milk, and even sells bacon and eggs.

I meant the actual BP stations with that stupid flower design. It's soooo tempting to get a can of brown spraypaint.....

Edit: I almost feel sorry for those who don't know about Super Wawas and regular Wawas. Almost.... ;)

Wawa is divine. We worship it.

Lost Girl

I know what you mean, Pookah. This as well as other **** going on in the world has really had me in a bad state lately. I don't know just how poorly my brain is wired sometimes but I heard this story and it just got to me, I got so mad. Then all this other stuff starts piling up in my head - unrelated issues that I won't get into as my head hurts enough as it is - but issues that Man and greed are behind and I just get so stressed out and worked up about it. I'm so frustrated and mad at the people behind these problems, and then I get frustrated and mad that the rest of the world doesn't do enough to stop it, and then I get frustrated and mad at myself, for allowing my own fears to stop me from doing more about it. So I just end up being this angry girl, alone in her house. Stupid. But it's things like these that just make me feel so disconnected from the rest of the world. I just don't ant to be any part of it. It's too much sometimes.

Pookah

I know what you mean, Pookah. This as well as other **** going on in the world has really had me in a bad state lately. I don't know just how poorly my brain is wired sometimes but I heard this story and it just got to me, I got so mad. Then all this other stuff starts piling up in my head - unrelated issues that I won't get into as my head hurts enough as it is - but issues that Man and greed are behind and I just get so stressed out and worked up about it. I'm so frustrated and mad at the people behind these problems, and then I get frustrated and mad that the rest of the world doesn't do enough to stop it, and then I get frustrated and mad at myself, for allowing my own fears to stop me from doing more about it. So I just end up being this angry girl, alone in her house. Stupid. But it's things like these that just make me feel so disconnected from the rest of the world. I just don't ant to be any part of it. It's too much sometimes.

I think there are just too many people and too many of them are selfish a-holes and they are basically a product of society and it feels like insurmountable odds, no way can the right thing be done when so many people don't care.

mrb

humans wont be happy till they have drained the earth of all its Natural resources , like the amozone rain forest ect ... only then will we take a step back and think .... why did we do that , course knowing mankind it will be to late .... were a selfish money grabbing breed , unlike nature and animals we have invented a thing called money , our world our well being our happiness is all about how much money we have ... if we dont have it were looked apon a losers , or non achievers , well not all of us but thats how most of Society judges eachother ... fkn sad really , but thats humans for you ....

Pookah

Regular Wawa:
wawastore_01.jpg

SUPER WAWA!
wawa.jpg

Pookah

humans wont be happy till they have drained the earth of all its Natural resources , like the amozone rain forest ect ... only then will we take a step back and think .... why did we do that , course knowing mankind it will be to late .... were a selfish money grabbing breed , unlike nature and animals we have invented a thing called money , our world our well being our happiness is all about how much money we have ... if we dont have it were looked apon a losers , or non achievers , well not all of us but thats how most of Society judges eachother ... fkn sad really , but thats humans for you ....

As I post pictures glorifying American convenience stores. :p

Yeah I agree with you and what you wrote weighs a lot on my anxieties.

Tiercel

I would post that Sam Gamgee quote about how there's good in this world worth fighting for, Mr. Frodo, but I don't remember it exactly.

And I'd hate to misquote a gardener.

mrb

As I post pictures glorifying American convenience stores. :p

Yeah I agree with you and what you wrote weighs a lot on my anxieties.

to be honest thats my anxieties. problems as well , as for myself its not my self im not happy with its the way the world runs its self , the prob is i feel helpless , i can see how bad the world is going to get over the years ... and yet what can i do nothing :confused: you just sit back and watch it all happen pooky bum , i can only voice my opinion , the worlds leaders seem blind to it all , or dont want to know cos its all about money .... humans will **** up the world long term ......

secretly awesome

"I cannot believe that we can develop technology to go down and drill for oil beneath the floor of the ocean but these companies aren't required to have iron clad contingency plans in case of disaster."

Yes, I agree. Now ponder this with respect to nuclear energy.

tumblr_l2bc9eXPka1qznxuoo1_500.jpg