BP Oil Spill

iamthenra

I would post that Sam Gamgee quote about how there's good in this world worth fighting for, Mr. Frodo, but I don't remember it exactly.

And I'd hate to misquote a gardener.

Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?
Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.

This quote says it all....

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Pookah

o01_23681845.jpg

Caught in the oil - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Pookah

:mad::mad::mad: There are no words that can fully describe the feelings you feel when looking at those pictures!:mad:

The way it looks...its like the most perfect and most horrible metaphor for what is done to the earth by humankind. We trap and kill life with our sludge.

"Drill, baby, drill!" right? More like, "Kill, baby, kill!" or "Spill, baby, spill!"... Ugh, I hate most of mankind.

539w.jpg

080118-prestige-oil-spill-hmed-10a.hmedium.jpg

Last edited:

Pookah

Somebody give me tons of soap and a million hands so I can clean the freakin animals.

coyote

Only one way to make it stop - stop buying oil.

In the rest of the world, there are at least two bicycles on the road for every automobile.

In North America...bicycles are considered children's toys or seldom-used exercise equipment.

Our way of life perpetuates this.

Lost Girl

In the rest of the world, there are at least two bicycles on the road for every automobile.
As in America V. the rest of the world? Or First world countries V. third? If it's the former I can't buy that stat. Nuh uh.

coyote

I read that somewhere else - i didn't have time to count them all.

I think that the number of bikes in China and much of the third world outnumbers all the cars in the 1st world if you leave out the US and Canada.

Lost Girl

'Gov Arnold Schwarzenegger on May 3 withdrew his support for a controversial new offshore drilling project off the Santa Barbara coast in the wake of a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. The Republican Governor for two straight years had pushed the Tranquillion Ridge Project as a way to raise money for California's strapped budget.

"...if I have a choice between the $100 million and what I see in the Gulf of Mexico, I'd rather just figure out how to make up for that $100 million."

Read more: Schwarzenegger pulls backing for California offshore drilling | McClatchy

I love Arnie<3.

Last edited:

coyote

"...if I have a choice between the $100 million and what I see in the Gulf of Mexico, I'd rather just figure out how to make up for that $100 million."

I love Arnie<3.

Cool!

But that won't be the case for too much longer. It is sooo scary how fast China is developing a hunger for cars!::(:

Very scary - things will only get worse, I'm afraid.

That's why the rest of the 1st world (namely the USA) really needs to step it up in weaning ourselves off the petroleum addiction.

TheManWhoUpholdsHonour

The thing is,I live down there and I think AT MOST it'll kill alot of jobs for coast when it comes to resources.Anyone think it's gonna get to the mississipi?

Remus

Staff member
Hopefully with the new improvements in electric vehicle technology, we may get to dump oil driven vehicle this century, well oil is predicted to run out this century anyway, so I guess we have no choice.

They may be an eyesore but windfarms are the way forward. Hopefully more sustainable energy systems will be developed in this coming century. Global wamring whether true of not is irrelivant, oil and coal are not infinite resources (100 years left if you are lucky), the world really needs to change it's reliance and that must start now.