BP Oil Spill

Remus

Staff member
'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Disturbing but true

Remus

Staff member
They say we will create increase biofuels but with an ever increasing world population, we will see more starvation.

Mankind needs to totally rethink everything we are doing right now.

Stumbled upon more pictures of the devastation and thought about this thread:

13.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Ignace

*Sigh* What can we do ? It's such a shame of all those animals. Why do they need to die/be very sick cause of human error ...

osse

This kind of thing reinforces my anxieties about the world at large. I can't help but feel our society is selfish and cruel and I find it hard to be a part of it.

When I think of people, the society or the world I think more or less like Richard Feynman: "Then there was John von Neumann, the great mathematician. We used to go for walks on Sunday. We'd walk in the canyons, often with Bethe and Bob Bacher. It was a great pleasure. And von Neumann gave me an interesting idea: that you don't have to be responsible for the
world that you're in. So I have developed a powerful sense of social irresponsibility as a result of von Neumann's advice. It's made me a very happy man ever since. But it was von Neumann who put the seed in that grew into my active irresponsibility!"

Plus I'm sure the world is slowly getting better. Sure there are accidents, but we have to think about all the good which petrol has brought and the lives saved by it. We've made one hundred steps forward and sometimes we make some steps backwards because of ignorance or something else.

That's how I see it. In fact this is one thing that makes me anxious. I see people and the world moving forward while I'm stuck. But that's another matter.

KiaKaha

Banned
I have always had a personal vendetta against BP ever since they ripped me off $20 and had the cops called on me because they thought I was stealing petrol (which I wasnt, they just employ ****ing morons)...yes not only do their profit before people policies and global corporate ideologies SUCK, their customer service could do with some work too...

Pookah

When I think of people, the society or the world I think more or less like Richard Feynman: "Then there was John von Neumann, the great mathematician. We used to go for walks on Sunday. We'd walk in the canyons, often with Bethe and Bob Bacher. It was a great pleasure. And von Neumann gave me an interesting idea: that you don't have to be responsible for the
world that you're in. So I have developed a powerful sense of social irresponsibility as a result of von Neumann's advice. It's made me a very happy man ever since. But it was von Neumann who put the seed in that grew into my active irresponsibility!"

Plus I'm sure the world is slowly getting better. Sure there are accidents, but we have to think about all the good which petrol has brought and the lives saved by it. We've made one hundred steps forward and sometimes we make some steps backwards because of ignorance or something else.

That's how I see it. In fact this is one thing that makes me anxious. I see people and the world moving forward while I'm stuck. But that's another matter.

With the rampant overpopulation I feel that we are rather spiraling towards ruin.

I don't feel responsible for the way the world is, I feel powerless against it though.

osse

What I meant is that there isn't overpopulation. Although population increases scarcity has declined. We have to take into account that an increased population may mean an increase in production. You may compare densely populated countries with not so densely populated ones and you will see that there's no correlation between that and its wealth.
Well, that's what I think.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
What I meant is that there isn't overpopulation. Although population increases scarcity has declined. We have to take into account that an increased population may mean an increase in production. You may compare densely populated countries with not so densely populated ones and you will see that there's no correlation between that and its wealth.
Production of food and other such resources has increased, definitely. However, given the simple fact that the planet only has so much stuff, the population cannot keep increasing indefinitely.

Additionally, scarcity is not the only problem. The more people there are, the more mess we make. Pollution. We are crapping in the same place we eat, so to speak. You can only do that for so long before you crash the system.

Pookah

What are you talking about? If any other species were congregating so close together, blanketing the earth, eating up land we would cull them.

osse

We are not the tripulation in a ship named Earth which has a limited supply of goods and food in its hold. The quantity of resources depends on our knowledge. Petrol wasn't a resource until we learned how to use it; the same happened with silex, uranium and all other resources including fields you can cultivate: before we discovered farming most land was unproductive.

But I don't want to rise a discussion. I just wanted to try to make you feel better about the future of the humankind regarding its supplies. I have failed. And we aren't enemies of nature, so don't feel bad because of this..

Pookah

We are not the tripulation in a ship named Earth which has a limited supply of goods and food in its hold. The quantity of resources depends on our knowledge. Petrol wasn't a resource until we learned how to use it; the same happened with silex, uranium and all other resources including fields you can cultivate: before we discovered farming most land was unproductive.

But I don't want to rise a discussion. I just wanted to try to make you feel better about the future of the humankind regarding its supplies. I have failed. And we aren't enemies of nature, so don't feel bad because of this..

I'm not talking about whether we can sustain our mad cancerlike takeover of the earth's surface...I'm talking about common sense telling me there are simply too many humans.