Better than having no friends at all?

Ok, so I finally have real friends that I actually hang out with outside of school. The only problem is that they do certain......things. I go to one's house and we smoke weed and drink which is fine, but it seems like their lives are going nowhere. They're both on ODSP (welfare for people with mental illness) and neither of them graduated from high school despite being 20 and 22 years of age. One of them brought up the idea of renting an apartment and selling crack to make money so we can spend it on drugs and prostitutes. He is also a crip gang member and the other one is thinking of joining the gang as well. Another thing to note is that the first guy's brother is in jail for murder. I know most people are thinking that I should run as far away from these guys as possible, but is it really worth going back to sitting at home and doing nothing all day?

Last edited:

Hoppy

Get away, get far away.

If your think your life is bad now just wait until you've got a criminal record, and if you stay with people like that you will surely end up with one.

If you're really desperate to spend time with people, go to a church or volunteer at a charity or something.

And just smoking weed is not good. You may think it doesn't affect you but any reasonably intelligent person can see you use it.

YellowBird

yes,definitely worth it.you'll be alone for a good while and it'll be tough,but eventually you'll find a better crowd.no friends are better than bad ones.

yes,definitely worth it.you'll be alone for a good while and it'll be tough,but eventually you'll find a better crowd.no friends are better than bad ones.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to a college program for people with mental illnesses in either September or January so I could find some nice people there.

Iluv

Everyone so far has said it. It's better having no friends.
If you have 'friends' that are talking about selling crack then it's best to rethink who they are as a person. The worst outcome is these people would get you involved and you could wind up in a hole so deep impossible to get out.

Bustn Justin

You should definately get away from them. They are just going to bring you down.

If they were your 'freinds' they would not get you involved in dangerous situations.

OceanMist

It's better to have no friends at all in this situation. When you start talking about gangs, jail and murder.....then it's time to close shop and get out.

Friends do have an influence on you. Yes, you can make your own decisions, but when you hang out around people that are in gangs and jail they are going to impact on you and it can make you a worse person.

The solution isn't to just sit at home. If you want friends, the solution would be to try to make new ones. I wouldn't look at leaving those shady guys as the be all and end all. You've got other options. It's tough, believe me I know, but you do have options.

You don't want to be in the same room as someone doing that kind of stuff. Next thing you know the cops break in and you are behind bars or even worse, you are risking your life around murderers. Someone that kills someone is dangerous to be around for a few reasons, they may be hunted after for revenge and they also may be a danger to you. If they are willing to kill someone, there is no telling what they'll do next.

I look at it this way, how could the guy sitting next to you smoking crack or weed not have an influence on you? Their is such thing as second hand smoke. What are you going to do, hide in another room every time they bring out the crack? You see, you can't hide from that stuff that they do. That's the problem.

Last edited:

bcsr

Umm, yes, definitely distance yourself from them. Not even up for debate.
Doing drugs, wanting to sell drugs, living a gang lifestyle... these are not people you want to be around. Period.

Apersonalan

Oh yes I have had bad associates in the past and they're definitely not worth it they're losers I wish I had never met. Troublemakers aren't really you're friends you usually find yourself fronting a lot anyway. They easily turn on you just as easy as they forget you or confide in others.

Roman Legion

My father used to tell me this quote all the time..

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington

Little would he know that I would not be able to speak in most social situations, but hey; it's still very good advice.

Thanks for all the other answers guys.

i dont understand why everyone thinks you should leave without even asking if you value their friendship. Do you? I mean, do you value them as friends? Or do you only consider them friends because you have nobody else?

Being on disability and not graduating high school doesn't equate to 'going nowhere'. Its just a different path, one thats we've been socially conditioned to believe equates to going nowhere. Most stuff you learn in high school is useless, and most people work their life away at a boring, repetitive job that they hate (is that considered going somewhere?) If anything, the former is a more mindful path.

Being a gang member doesn't make him worse than anyone else. Neither is having a brother who murdered someone.

If you feel like you're easily influenced by people, then you should make your decision accordingly and befriend people who you align with where you want to be. Otherwise, you should base your decision on whether these people treat you like a friend rather than judging them on the life they choose to lead. Renting an apartment and selling crack obviously is risky but you don't have to partake in everything your friends do.

That's a good point.....I really don't have to go with them when they do "dangerous" things. They might not even do this crack thing. They just talked about it.

Hoppy

Thanks for all the other answers guys.

That's a good point.....I really don't have to go with them when they do "dangerous" things. They might not even do this crack thing. They just talked about it.

How are you going to know when they go out and do "dangerous" things? Do you really believe they are going to tell you?

When policemen get upset they tend not to worry too much about who they arrest, and just being with them will get you in trouble. Who do you think will believe you when you say you didn't take part, or didn't know about what they were doing?

You are busy trying to justify staying with these people, and it doesn't sound good at all to me.

Or do you want to spend the rest of your life explaining to people it wasn't your fault, but having bad friends?

Choose.

How are you going to know when they go out and do "dangerous" things? Do you really believe they are going to tell you?

When policemen get upset they tend not to worry too much about who they arrest, and just being with them will get you in trouble. Who do you think will believe you when you say you didn't take part, or didn't know about what they were doing?

You are busy trying to justify staying with these people, and it doesn't sound good at all to me.

Or do you want to spend the rest of your life explaining to people it wasn't your fault, but having bad friends?

Choose.

It's only the one guy that's bad, really. My other friend said he doesn't want to sell drugs. If the first one starts selling crack, then we'll either stop hanging around him or only hang out with him when he's not dealing.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I'd rather be alone than around people like that :/

You really, REALLY should get away from them. I'm sure you'll find real friends at some point.

Fighter86

If friends are toxic it is better to do without them. I have rid friends before. Sometimes the road is painful alone but better alone than taken advantage of or in trouble.