Bad attention span

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I've had this problem for quite a while.

I always had a good attention span, I could focus on things without any trouble. I don't remember when it happened, but it's started to fail pretty badly.

As an artist, this is a huge problem. I can't focus well on my drawing, instead, I make two lines and get distracted for hours, then back to make another two lines, then back to getting distracted for a certain period again. There are moments when I'm fine and can concentrate well, but a lot of times when my brain just doesn't cooperate.

I need to know if this might be linked to Depression. I don't suffer from either ADD/ADHD. This is something that just appeared one day and doesn't seem to be improving much. I seem to have a problem remembering things as well. I'm really confused.

Help?

Gap

I read somewhere that reading upside down may help to focus , i m working on it so can't tell if it's really work

IntheLabyrinth

I am not sure if it's depression related or not, but too have developed that problem. I would really like to know why that is. I am okay staying focused when I am watching tv or reading a really good book for fun but when it comes to school or work, I can't stay focused. Do you still enjoy doing your drawings? If not, I am thinking it may mostly be for things that aren't enjoyable. Seems a little simplistic but I am just throwing an idea out there.

gustavofring

Same here, with the art and complete lack of attention span which is why I decided to try something else for a while.

I think I lost my passion for it. It's definately a sign of depression. Not being positively stimulated. I think one needs to live in order to be creative. When I think back of art college, there was a lot of positive inspiration going on from being social, hanging out with people, sharing ideas and styles. Now all of that is gone and the art suffers for it.

xDreamseller

I've got the exact same problem lately. (Infact...right now, missing out an exam tomorrow because I procrastinated with revision until there wasn't enough time left)

I get brief moments of...clarity? at night and tonight when it happened, I went through my pc and deleted every game I have on it in an attempt to focus for the rest of my exam period. Can only hope it works.

I sat and watched videos about ancient Egypt for hours instead of revising. I now know about 4 different theories about how and why the pyramids were built but only the first few pages of my uni text book on computer science...oh well.

laure15

I think this is normal. I cannot read or study for 1 hour straight without taking a break or 2. Besdes, it's bad for the eyes to be continuously staring at a book, computer screen, or a drawing. If I was doing something and it got boring, I shift to doing something else. Alternating between activities and taking breaks makes it more likely for me to get things done.

ShadowCookie

One issue I have is that I zone out when people are talking to me, and I end up having to ask them to repeat what they have said. I don't do it on purpose, it just happens and I don't even notice it.

OceanMist

It sounds like you may be a thinker, which isn't a bad thing. Those that analyze can be very perceptive.

lilmutegirl

I have always had a bad attention span, and it's getting worse. I blame old age (j/k-I'm 30 :sarcastic:). I have no idea why this is, but I'm less anxious than I have been in the past, and would not consider myself depressed, so I don't think it is caused by either of these necessarily (in my case, at least).

Hellhound, have you been diagnosed to NOT have ADHD?

ADD is ADHD. They are not separate. ADD I believe would fall into the Disorganized and Forgetfulness portion of ADHD. Some people only suffer from a portion of ADHD.

I am undiagnosed but think I have the ADD portion of ADHD. People complain I don't listen, sometimes I can't sit still, I do forget a lot but I don't remember that. With hyper-focus I do get annoyed when others attempt to break the focus.

Those who do suffer from ADHD usually end up being creative.

Not really. This is a slightly recent issue. I think it started about a year ago. Maybe less.

I don't think you can suddenly develop ADHD, can you?

Nope. Sometimes its there from birth. Sometimes head injuries can cause it. In my case I think it was a head injury.. Knocked myself silly when I was three. Ran head first into a steel desk. :kickingmyself:

But you may not notice signs of ADHD. It is also possible to have mild symptoms.

cowboyup

ditto, ditto and ditto w/me as of late.

try as I might, I can't concentrate to write, paint or photograph lately.

I tend to over-analyze things and like you, used to have good memory and attention span, but I feel my brain fluid is slowly being depleted.

:kickingmyself:

gustavofring

I fell off a sling backwards when I was about 4.

In recent years I've gotten fatalistic beliefs that I developped brain damage from it and that is what's causing my psychological problems. It might be true. :eek:h:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
A thread made recently about medication reminded me of this problem.

Is it possible that my meds are messing with my concentration and memory?

Silatuyok

Ever since getting addicted to the internet, my attention span has gone to poop. When I quit the internet for a good length of time, my attention span improves. I should probably quit the internet.

SilentAndShy

I'd say over the last few years this is getting worse. Even watching TV or when I'm talking to someone, my mind disappears and I lose my focus. I've tried tilting my head to the side to show that person I'm listening which I think might help me avoid losing concentration but meh, it's so and so.

I think it could be down to stress or depression related. When your mind is in a fog then I guess it's natural to be lacking in concentration and drifting out.