At what age did you discover you had social anxiety (disorder)?

Glenrowan

Was 33 for me. Before that I thought I was just super shy and that it was a normal personality trait.

I was born in 1979. From what I read, SA wasn't researched properly until the 80s and not a proper diagnosis until the 90s. In the naughties I was pretty withdrawn from most social contact. So makes sense I didn't know about it.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Probably 16 or 17.

I was always a shy kid, but the anxiety just got worse and worse as I got older. One day I sat down with one of my mother's psychology books (this was around 92 or 93 so I didn't have internet) and began reading up on anxiety disorders. It wasn't long before I found the culprit.

A few years later I began seeing a psychiatrist and was officially diagnosed, along with clinical depression.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
When I was 16, I started to wonder. But I didn't realise it, ah just thought it was due to me still feelin' pretty depressed that my cousin just decided cut contact with me. No explaination or reason given. I remember breaking down in tears and telling my mum that there must be something wrong with me, inside my head. But she just laughed it off with the "Oh, yer just shy - that's all..." response.

The realisation I had social anxiety came, age 20, after a deeply humiliating experience while sat in the audience of a stand-up comedy gig. Though, I've probably had it for most of my life due to being bullied from a young age.

spearhunter

my social anxiety started at exactly the age of 13, in second grade of high school, did not know i had this condition until 25

Shenmue

I’m fairly sure I had SA when I was still in the womb. Now of course I can't be 100% sure on this theory, but I was born a week late, which I think shows my reluctance in wanting to venture out into the world. Although it could also mean I overslept as well. And if it would have been possoible to play video games and eat pizza in there, then I would probably still be in there to this day. But to be slightly serious for a second, and I will sit up straight in order to show how serious I am being in answering this question, I think I have had SA pretty much most of my life. But I do think my confidence is a lot better than it used to be. Well slightly better than it used to be anyway, as I don't feel like I'm about to pass out when I go outside anymore. So at least that’s an improvement I guess.

slimjim119

I was 18. I've always been anxious through my whole life. But was diagnosed by a psychiatrist at 18. First time I really heard of it. I went because I was tired of being nervous at social events all the time.

fate12321

around 15 or 16. I decided to google how i feel and the term "social anxiety" poped up. It described me perfectly.

Age 13. It came upon me very suddenly. I first noticed it when I was out grocery shopping with my mom, and I had this "feeling" that everybody was staring at me. I couldn't stop staring at the ground. Next thing I knew, I was a blushing, shaking mess at every social encounter.

I'm an adult now. I'm on medication and been doing goal-focused therapy for a couple of years. I still struggle in certain areas but my social anxiety is for the most part under control.

Last edited:

Glenrowan

Thanks everyone for sharing. Good to hear most people got diagnosed relatively early on. Wish everyone the best on their progress to overcome SA :)

THeCARS1979

I think it was before 19 in high school but I didn't know what it was called. I was shy so I didn't ask any girls out. I didn't go to prom either and just used an excuse of having no money if anyone asked.

Tuukka40

Probably around now, so 22. I have always been unusually shy and have always known that. However, in high school I always felt like I just needed a fresh start to break out of my shell. I felt that I was already pegged as the "quiet kid" and didn't want to draw attention to myself by talking all of a sudden; which is why I was waiting for a new start.

But as the old saying goes...a zebra can't change his stripes. I have had several fresh starts where no one knew me and I never changed favorably/how I wanted to. After all these fresh starts, I am out of excuses, and am now facing the reality of who I am.

Nowadays, I just try to be true to myself and to others. I used to take being called shy, quiet, antisocial, etc., as a huge insult. Now, I just openly admit it and laugh about it. Being honest with myself has helped all aspects of my life.

Before, I tried hard to fit in and it really didn't work. Now, I try to show others that I like them and I am interested in them. Its very hard to dislike someone that accepts and likes you unconditionally (just look at why people love dogs). It has taken the pressure off myself to fit in and made my life easier from a social standpoint.

I typed this on my phone and it went a bit off topic, but I liked this thread topic. Being shy/thinking you have SA versus actually realizing you do are very different things. I have been on this site for years (6 or so) but have just recently come to terms with the fact that I have SA

zharl

Hmm...16 or 17 for me. Which seems to be a rather popular age, judging by the responses on this thread. :D

Moses199

Age 13. Remember walking to school and sweating feeling nervous for no reason. Later i noticed it's when i'm going to social events.
But the whole "i'm different from people" mindset short later when i was standing in football field around many student and noticed myself standing by myself which i didn't do normally and thought to myself "wow, i have no friends".