Applied to Mcdonalds

Thelema

I've been needing to get a job for a long time now. I'm taking a break from college this quarter and if I don't get a job, I'd just be sitting around doing nothing.

I figured a place like Mcdonalds would be the easiest to get hired at, being that they mostly hire high school kids and older people.

The only problem is nobody wants to work in fast food, so I don't expect to work very long there before using the experience somewhere else.

I completed the online application and we'll see if I get a call :D

Remus

Staff member
I think jobs like that(retail and service) can help with SA. I was an electronics engineer for years, locked away with nothing but my own company at times. I went into retail and then catering back in 2000 as all the electronics jobs went to the far east. Best thing I did for my SA, being social in a workplace for me was a good thing, you are often way too busy to be anxious too.

Roman Legion

I can tell you from my experience that McDonald's may help some people with their SA, but it will not help you with SM.. It only made my SM that much worse.. ::(:

Thelema

I think jobs like that(retail and service) can help with SA. I was an electronics engineer for years, locked away with nothing but my own company at times. I went into retail and then catering back in 2000 as all the electronics jobs went to the far east. Best thing I did for my SA, being social in a workplace for me was a good thing, you are often way too busy to be anxious too.

Yeah, I think that's true. I'd rather work some place I wouldn't have to deal with the public, but at least I'll be doing it as some employee and not in a personal setting.

Also, one time we went thru the drive thru and it seemed the person working was on drugs or something. So if that guy can get hired...

Richey

A job at Maccy D's I believe would very much improve any shyness issues you may have, It simply forces people into having to communicate and to be placed under pressure. So i think it does make people stronger in that sense.

Roman Legion

You worked there? What happened during the interview?

He asked me questions, I just asnwered in nods and shakes and made zero eye contact. Worst job I ever had and it made me hate myself that much more working there.. Crappy pay, crappy co-workers (Very deplorable customers too) and crap hours.. Everyone I worked with making fun of me, customers screaming at me.. I got pulled from the cashier job quick and moved to a window where I had to just hand food out to cars.. That didn't last either. I hope for your sake you don't get the job there, horrible place nobody should experience and I hope they go out of business.

A job at Maccy D's I believe would very much improve any shyness issues you may have, It simply forces people into having to communicate and to be placed under pressure. So i think it does make people stronger in that sense.

I would say a job at a grocery store would better help with SA than at that horrible excuse for a job McDonalds.. From my experience and observation.

*Amy*

Well done! But maybe you should apply to another fast food restaurant, or another job in general, because there is a GREAT deal of people who send their CVs there. I was told once in a shopping mall that I should send my CV weekly if I wanted to have any chance to get a job there.

And about the convenience of the job... yes, I guess doing a job in which you have to talk to people (and you don't even have to be extremely kind, you just have to ask them what they want and tell the price) helps a little. Maybe it wouldn't help me, because my problem is not precisely talking to strangers, but if it is in your case... it's worth trying.

Thelema

He asked me questions, I just asnwered in nods and shakes and made zero eye contact. Worst job I ever had and it made me hate myself that much more working there.. Crappy pay, crappy co-workers (Very deplorable customers too) and crap hours.. Everyone I worked with making fun of me, customers screaming at me.. I got pulled from the cashier job quick and moved to a window where I had to just hand food out to cars.. That didn't last either. I hope for your sake you don't get the job there, horrible place nobody should experience and I hope they go out of business.

I would say a job at a grocery store would better help with SA than at that horrible excuse for a job McDonalds.. From my experience and observation.

Hmmm sounds like a high pressure job, but the interview is easy.

A grocery store is where I looked first, but they only have cashier positions open and wanted references. So maybe in the future

Roman Legion

Hmmm sounds like a high pressure job, but the interview is easy.

A grocery store is where I looked first, but they only have cashier positions open and wanted references. So maybe in the future

Don't you just love how picky employers are for a minimum wage or slightly above minimum wage job? That is one of many reasons why I'm a misanthrope..

Remus

Staff member
My last retail job was in Starbucks, I found that the easiest place to work in all the retail/catering places I worked. They work on your strengths and the team they build is supportive. Quite a good workplace strategy as everyone is different, I worked with two other employees that you could list as 'shy', they fit in just as well as I did.

Roman Legion

My last retail job was in Starbucks, I found that the easiest place to work in all the retail/catering places I worked. They work on your strengths and the team they build is supportive. Quite a good workplace strategy as everyone is different, I worked with two other employees that you could list as 'shy', they fit in just as well as I did.

Think working at starbucks they might find away to work around my mutism issue? I have never found a job like that yet.. ::(:

Remus

Staff member
I have no idea, I only know about SA and not mutism. Is there a mutism forum you could ask advice on?

If I was your employer though, I'd stick you on the non verbal part of the job, i.e pot washing, cleaning tables, stock food and goods, ice making, paper and plastic cup stocking, etc etc. I'd keep you busy ;)

We had a downs syndrome kid work for us in the beginning for training before we moved him to another store. Not sure what it is like in the states but here companies have to adapt for disabled employees. They are also not allowed to discriminate when interviewing for a job.

Last edited:

Roman Legion

I have no idea, I only know about SA and not mutism. Is there a mutism forum you could ask advice on?

If I was your employer though, I'd stick you on the non verbal part of the job, i.e pot washing, cleaning tables, stock food and goods, ice making, paper and plastic cup stocking, etc etc. I'd keep you busy ;)

We had a downs syndrome kid work for us in the beginning for training before we moved him to another store. Not sure what it is like in the states but here companies have to adapt for disabled employees. They are also not allowed to discriminate when interviewing for a job.

I'd really like to go back to Ireland.. I hate living in the US.. ::(: Employment in the US is the most backwards hypocritical bulls**t I have ever seen and condtions, pay and benefits are deplorable if they even really exist.. And that's if you can even find a job. Mcdonalds way of dealing with me not talking was to make me comfortable with it by forcing me into it.. I eventually got screamed at by a manager so I just quit.. It was not worth the $6 something an hour.. Hence I ended up as part time military (Once a month in the reserves) and still getting screamed at.. I feel like Al Bundy.. I just can't win or succeed in any way shape or form.

mikebird

Banned
Thanks Remus!

Office work ain't right for me. It is time to face up to it. Should have accepted that in 1998 as a graduate. I thought it'd be like school or university.

I liked Domino's Delivery on a moped. On the road, by myself.

McDonalds are on a big list for a job fair in two weeks. I thought it's be upfront service, but you know best...

montejocarlo

good luck! i've always wanted a part-time job when i was in school, but i never had the courage to try any. especially not in a fast-food chain. having the guts to apply is an accomplishment in itself. congrats! :D

Section_31

This is good honest work. Good for you. There is no shame in ANYTHING of this sort.

What i dont respect are drug dealers and other criminals leeching off society. Some may look down on jobs like this, but F them.

I worked at staples for 6 yrs a a computer tech/sales, because my first big boy job in an office i was so terrified i walked out on the 2nd day. I couldnt handle it. I needed a place where i could work with the public but be so busy i couldnt stop to be scared.

Good for you!! im sure were all proud of you :D

coyote

as fraught with uncertainty that interacting with live humans is, i welcome the immediacy of dealing with customers over the drudgery of back room or office work - where, left alone, i obsess over perfectionism, worry about performance, and ultimately procrastinate to the point that the anxiety over getting fired has to outweigh the fear of negative judgment before i can actually accomplish anything