Applied to Mcdonalds

Iluv

I don't drink coffee haha. I do know a girl that may be able to help get me a job there...but I'm pretty sure she hates me :)

Neither do I and I work at part-time at a drink shop (that mainly serves coffee). But hey, it's not just coffee plus the job is good I heard from somebody who worked there once that they told me that it's a rewarding job. Most people are friendly.
I hope you get a call soon Thelema. I know you will! Keep us posted. :)

Thelema

Thanks guys.

I woke up today with a missed call and a voicemail thinking it was someone calling about a job........it was my car insurance company calling with an automated voicemail? Weird.

Roman Legion

Persevere. Hopefully someone will call back.

Not trying to be a 'downer' but experience has taught me they won't call.. If they do and he really wants it, I hope they do. But living in a time where employers thoughts are 'your lucky to make what little we pay for harder work, there are millions who would kill for your subservient, slave like job.' does not help chances of success in any field.

MikeyC

Not trying to be a 'downer' but experience has taught me they won't call.. If they do and you really want it, I hope they do. But living in a time where employers thoughts are 'your lucky to make what little we pay for harder work, there are millions who would kill for your subservient, slave like job.' does not help chances of success in any field.
I see what you're saying but the more applications Thelema hands in, the more chances he has of getting a call back. Sheer weight of numbers.

Don't give up, Thelema. Looking for work is a self-esteem killer but I hope you can persevere.

Thelema

The thing is--I don't really care to work at these places, but I just want to work!

It's amazing that these places wouldn't be eager to fill an open position. Even places you think are always hiring aren't calling? Come on man! I'm putting myself out there and gettin nothin.

OceanMist

Part of the job-hunting process are follow up calls if you don't receive a call within a week or two. I would recommend always doing a follow up call after each application you turn in, it will give you better odds.

I totally feel you pain, Thelema. Everyone is having trouble nowadays. My boss just was talking the other day about how it's different than any other time now and is way harder to get work than he ever remembered, and he's been around a while. You can't just walk in to places anymore and be given a job in most cases unless your credentials are unbelievable.

I love Roman legion's last quote, and it's so true. There are so many people nowadays that will kill to mop up urine, for instance. Whatever the job entails, it's work, and hundreds of others are willing to do it just so they can have a paycheck.

In most cases they won't call, but we have to keep trying because it is possible to get a job somewhere. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Thelema

I have phone anxiety too. These jobs just aren't worth the effort of getting them. I'm not applying for a doctor's position here--I'm applying for jobs a trained monkey could do and I'd get paid as much.

:mad:These people should be working for me, if anything:mad:

MikeyC

Even the jobs a trained monkey can do, like mine, require an application and such. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that you get something.

AGR

its like that everywhere,sometimes a lot of people apply so they can choose who they want,is this your first job?
I was unemployed for 6 months the first time I tried to get a job.

AGR

Best way to get a job is to know someone who works there,a lot of times they will choose those persons first.

AGR

Knowing someone is at times more valuable than your qualifications.

Practically everytime I had a job I knew someone or it was someone who knew my family,everytime I just applied somewhere I never was called back or was dismissed after the interview.

MikeyC

Practically everytime I had a job I knew someone or it was someone who knew my family,everytime I just applied somewhere I never was called back or was dismissed after the interview.
It's amazing how that happens. By amazing I mean depressing.

Aletheia

a reason for nepotism

My experience of looking at applicants is that it makes a world of difference to have someone who can vouch for their ability.

Interviews mostly show how good the person is at being interviewed.

Roman Legion

Knowing someone is at times more valuable than your qualifications.

Reminds me of what my father once told me "It's not what you know, it's who you know" He went on to explain that you can be the best person for whatever job, but they will always hire family members and friends that may not be qualified or any good over you, because they know them.

OceanMist

What's so much different now as opposed to 7 years ago is that the jobs that trained monkeys can do have just as many people applying to them as the jobs that take a college degree for a requirement.

Take for instance Wal-Mart. They were hiring people for a store around my location and they had thousands of applicants. It's the same thing with grocery stores too. I remember when Wal-Mart and Mcdonalds were the places that everyone avoids. Now they are last resort where thousands of other people of all walks of life fight over one cashier position.

I hate to be negative, but I am seriously questioning if I can get a job in my city. I may have to move to a bigger city where there are more options. It's ridiculous because my city isn't even small.