"anyone who is unhappy looks for someone worse off than his/herself

Aden

Got this from elfen lied. Is this the case for everyone here as well? sorry if that seemed sick and twisted.

Feathers

not sure if it's the same for everyone... and it may be different at different times...

sometimes, someone happier and luckier than you, is an inspiration... or can make you feel good without thinking.. ('Oh, if s/he could make it, I can make it too!!')

sometimes, one realizes one's luck when looking at people worse off too..

it may also be good to be around people on a similar level as you are.. to see how they are dealing with similar problems etc.

so, it's good to know many kinds of people, and be around them... or at least know their stories.. some can be inspirational, some can be 'warning signs' and teach you which mistakes not to make (hopefully) etc. You can learn from everyone...

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Got this from elfen lied. Is this the case for everyone here as well? sorry if that seemed sick and twisted.

You mean dating people who are even crappier than you because you feel you are not good enough to date anyone better? I wouldn't say I do since I considere myself like being a hopeless piece of crap, but I have been told I do. I think it's a classic thing among people with no self-esteem.

Not sure if I understood well the topic of your thread though. Sorry if I'm off-topic.

I honestly can't say that I have looked for anyone worse off than me. Or better than me. Just someone that I would get along with.

JosephG

I don't know what that quote really means. Does it mean to say people who are unhappy look for people worse off than them to make themselves feel better?

Well that's what I think it means and I don't do that. Seeing people in worse off situations makes me feel very sad and want to help them - so it makes me feel worse.
What I love seeing is people who are happier than I! People who are happy, cheerful with good intentions always make me feel much better. But then you get those happy people who want everybody else to know they're happy - like they're gloating. They wear me down.

EscapeArtist

Hmmmm
Sometimes
It could also be that somebody who is unhappy, is usually unhappy with themselves. They think they are equal to those that are worse off because of this.. I'm not really sure, but I think that this is quite common and there are many factors

Aussie_Lad

It comes down to recognising that you have a lot to be grateful for. Sometimes it is hard to recognise this unless you look at the other side. You don't feel grateful for your legs until you meet someone that has been paralysed. You don't feel grateful for the roof over your head until you meet a homeless person. Being grateful for lots of things in life will bring happiness, because then you realise the miracle that is you.

Seasons

I don't really look for a particular type of people, but if I'm down and I happen to be talking with someone who is in a worse situation than me it sometimes helps me putting things into a better perspective.

But if I had to look for someone, I think I would look for someone genuinely happy because talking with happy people can be contagious and makes me feel good and with hope that someday I will feel the same way. I take it as an encouragement not to give up.

Damaged

I don't think thats true, i don't really go looking for anyone tbh. But when it comes to liking someone i don't judge anyone so therefore if i happen to go with someone who has as many 'flaws' as me then so be it.

Bustn Justin

I like to look for people who are happier than me so that it rubs on me. So far that hasn't been successful.

mattbarneswillkillu

I like to look for people who are happier than me so that it rubs on me. So far that hasn't been successful.

Soon enough it will! Positive people/attitudes do rub off, it has really worked for me. And if you spend enough time around these positive people you'll gain confidence as well. DO IT

mint

I do feel like I kind of go for guys who are unhappy because I want to help them.
It kind of gives me a feeling of purpose, to be what brightens up someones life. If that makes any sense...
I wouldn't consider myself a very unhappy person though.

I don't think thats true, i don't really go looking for anyone tbh. But when it comes to liking someone i don't judge anyone so therefore if i happen to go with someone who has as many 'flaws' as me then so be it.

Off topic, noticed your avatar. Before I stopped ... you may like Sobieski.

JamesSmith

That's not the case with me, but when I see that someone is worse off than me it does make me feel better at times.