Anyone else dislike being around children?

Janeypod

Dunno if its common to those who suffer social anxiety but does anybody else just plain hate being around children...not necessarily hating kids but finding them thoroughly stressful to be around? :kickingmyself: Even from being a little girl I always knew I never ever wanted them and really don't know how to relate to them. When my work colleagues start passing the new baby/ grandchild photos around I just think Ugh.

FriendlyShadow

Dunno if its common to those who suffer social anxiety but does anybody else just plain hate being around children...not necessarily hating kids but finding them thoroughly stressful to be around? :kickingmyself: Even from being a little girl I always knew I never ever wanted them and really don't know how to relate to them. When my work colleagues start passing the new baby/ grandchild photos around I just think Ugh.

I feel the same way. It's difficult and stressful for me too because of my social anxiety problem getting in the way. I'm not one of those people who can entertain kids, like make them laugh or playing with them. Kids would probably feel awkward around me since I'm not entertaining or even if I try to be entertaining, they won't find it amusing. Also, the staring I get from kids ruins it too. It makes my nervousness and discomfort rise even more and the kids could probably see that. I'm not really a patient person on like babysitting or like leading kids to somewhere and when I end up getting lost, I tend to break down. I understand you don't want kids either, don't ever feel like you should have them because people are always telling you have to. I get a lot of that pressure from my family, adults, almost about everyone I've met. If I did have kids, it wouldn't change a thing, except more stress of raising them and on top of that, getting myself together. My anxiety isn't going anywhere if I had kids and I'd still feel uncomfortable raising them. I don't want that kind of responsibility and I know I wouldn't make a very good mother because I'm careless. My own kids would be very awkward around me if I tried to baby talk them or play with them. It always backfires. I guess because I've had a bitter childhood, I think my kids will see that bitterness in me.

Diend

The problem has to do with parents being afraid of a creepy man being around their children.

WeirdyMcGee

My friend feels similar to this.
She has always known that she didn't want children-- she finds them annoying and says that babies are kind of... well; ugly.
haha
She's not a bad person; she just doesn't want to deal with children because she doesn't have the patience for them, I guess?

I have always really liked kids. As a small girl, I imagined I'd have 2 or 3 by the time I am the age I am now... haha XD
I probably will never have any but that's not the point of this post-- the *point* is that I feel REALLY nervous whenever I'm put in charge of/just around someone who cannot communicate with me.

Now, this isn't just other people's babies and children-- it includes some people with disabilities and the elderly... or people who do not speak English; I *always* feel like I am going to do the wrong thing around them and frustrate them or something.
><

Once, I worked at a movie theater and there was an elderly man who came in with a stoma (a hole in his throat?) and he could not speak and didn't have one of those robot voice box thingies but he seemed to want something from me, so I kept guessing until he gave me the dirtiest look like he wanted a piano to fall on my head and stormed off-- slamming the doors behind him.
And I felt so terrible about making him upset that I had to go throw up...

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Dislike? Naw, it's mair a lack uh interest - which ye could argue is the same 'hing. Though, ah've never been yin fur forced social interaction - y'know, family or otherwise.

Also, ah'm no' the kinda person who should be given any form uh responsibility in terms uh lookin' efter somebuddy... Coz ah don't feel up tae the task.

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
The only kid kinda close to me is my sister's daughter, but she's abnormally mature for her age, so we've never had an issue.

Odo

Banned
I used to be really good with kids-- but these days I'm mostly afraid of being seen as that weird never-married kind of creepy guy that parents are always taught will harm their kids so I avoid them.

Still, when they're really young they might not think much of how uptight you are.

MotherWolff

Banned
I sorta dislike being around kids because they can be very rude and judgemental. I mean kids are kids. They don't know no better.....

Ree

I care about kids... and I love my nephews and nieces! But yeah I've never had a desire to give birth to babies before (when I was a kid, I played with dinosaurs and horse toys, not babies and barbies), and I find that looking after kids is really stressful and noisy and messy ._. lol. But like you said, I don't hate kids too. I'm just not a natural at it I guess! but hey... falling in love with the right person might end up changing that, who knows.

Last edited:

Angel11

Yeah. I mean, I can't say I hate being around children. I just don't care to be around the majority of them. I do think they can be too stressful, like you said, and I could not imagine being forced to be around a kid 24/7. The idea sounds monotonous and annoying.
But it seems like a lot of women my age (I'm 21) are already having kids for some strange reason. I never understood the hype women have about babies. Personally, I think kittens are much cuter ^-^