Am I a Creeper? And If So What Should I Do About It?

about a year ago, i was called into the school guidance office because someone complained that i was a "creeper", i certainly didn't do anything on purpose and i don't see how you can get into trouble for being a creeper. but, every time i walk down the school hall i'm afraid to even look at girls out of fear. just the other day i was walking down the hall and i heard a girl (that i barely but somewhat know) say to one of her friends "oh, he's such a creeper" that really set me off. what if she's talking about me? should i confront her? i admit i stare off into space and it may look like i'm creepin' on someone but I DON'T DO IT ON PURPOSE! i've always been polite around women, never vulgar or crass, so why f^&* do those people who are disgusting around women always get off scott free but i get in trouble? i'm tired of being afraid, i want my life back, but i need someone's help. please help me answer the question: if i think that someone thinks i'm a creeper should i confront them or let sleeping dogs lie?

MikeyC

How many people have said this? If it's only 1 or 2 then let them think what they want and that's it.

Candide

I think you should ignore them, I used to be like you I stared at people and that was considered creeper material what I eventually did do is learn to stop staring at women. I think they are just getting the wrong message from you.

Tomasso

Just ignore them dude.

Trust me, if you approach them they will tell more people and probably exaggerate what you did. In the girl world of gossip, approaching someone and asking them politely not to talk about you will quickly turn into "OmGz he tried to like, grab my butt and hit on me, like what a creepy perv."

megalon

about a year ago, i was called into the school guidance office because someone complained that i was a "creeper", i certainly didn't do anything on purpose and i don't see how you can get into trouble for being a creeper.

Am I the only one who thinks that's incredibly insensitive and rude of the teachers and guidance councilors to even acknowledge these complaints? If anything the people who are making these accusations and rumors are the one's who should be in trouble. Yell at you when you haven't done anything wrong? That's bs.:mad:

WeirdyMcGee

Is this in highschool...?
Sounds like highschool dramatics to me-- but it's absolutely RIDICULOUS that guidance would call you in for someone reporting that you're a 'creeper'.

Teenage girls will call boys creepers for just looking a certain way-- whether or not they actually look at them or touch them; and they tend to think that shy people are 'creepy' because they're not 'normal'.

I got that alot, even. I'm a girl and in highschool, other girls called ME a creeper.
So-- I don't think there's much you can do about it except talk to people about it.
If you're not following people around or stalking anyone or touching people inappropriately; there is NO reason for someone to call you such a name.
It's just insensitivity.
If anything- you should report THEM to guidance.
They are the ones that need a talking to about judging people they don't know, bullying and prejudice.

powerfulthoughts

People fear what they don't understand. They can't discern why you act like you do, so their mind fills in the blanks with a misinterpretation. In other words, they are ignorant.

Nathália

Some people just find things wrong with people nothing like them. That counselor had absolutely no right to do that. That makes me upset that a counselor would do something like that.

Many students are different for their own reasons. If you never posed a threat to anyone then no was suppose to call you up to that office. So if there is a really shy kid that never talks to anyone should he/she be automatically reported? Let's just interrogate anyone that we can not figure out or understand.

How rude. I say forget them too.

MrJones

Well, we don't have a proper translation for than word in Spanish, but I did get similar stuff when I was younger. I do feel like a creeper a lot, especially online. I am a creep, people seem to think that way and act accordingly.

A86

People fear what they don't understand. They can't discern why you act like you do, so their mind fills in the blanks with a misinterpretation. In other words, they are ignorant.

very well articulated. totally agree with this statement.

Orion's Hound

I had the same problem in school. Around my sophmore year I ended up snapping and let my anger get the best of me. One of the girls who had complained about me leering at her and started the rumor of me being a creep confronted me in class that we had together. Said I brushed against her. Tried to embarass me (later found out she had been hurt in her youth and was hyper sensitive). I may not make eye contact but I do eavesdrop and listen. I knew she was worried about her weight. I made fun of her for it. Said what kind of guy would go for a girl like her. Pointed out how her thighs jiggled when she walked. People laughed, she turned red and ran out of the room, I became a pariah almost immediately. Friends who knew me as nice disliked me, people I had no like of approached. Total disaster.

High school is only for a short while. Sounds flippant but action taken in anger may lead to worse things. Try and remember that. I sense anger in your post, so I shared this as a result of my own giving in to that anger. We don't know why they act how they do. Perhaps the girl was raped early. One in four are. May have skewed her view. By assuming the worst and acting on the assumption you reduce yourself to those who assume you are a creep because you don't seem like everyone else.

Can't tell you what to do, just throw advice from experience in.

Feathers

Well Orian, it seems you've learnt it's not nice to make fun of people??
Girls (and men) can be sensitive about weight or some other issues!! As if the media doesn't give them enough problems!!
(I admit I've been mean to my sis at times too, if she crossed me a lot, and sometimes there can be 'friendly teasing', but it's good to strive to be, well, kind and a good person!!)

OP, are you in any clubs or such? maybe there's a social skills program or drama class or something interesting, where you could meet people, and others would see 'other sides of you' and get to know you as a person?

Interpersonal interaction can be difficult sometimes, it's difficult to say anything online, we don't know you yet :) Usually people learn better and different forms of interaction as they/we grow up!!
There are books and sites about body language or good communication or such too, maybe some of that could be helpful?

Maybe if you join some sports or such, this could improve body language & self confidence too, if this could be a factor?

Girls (and men) can be sensitive about weight or some other issues!! As if the media doesn't give them enough problems!!
(I admit I've been mean to my sis at times too, if she crossed me a lot, and sometimes there can be 'friendly teasing', but it's good to strive to be, well, kind and a good person!!)

OP, are you in any clubs or such? maybe there's a social skills program or drama class or something interesting, where you could meet people, and others would see 'other sides of you' and get to know you as a person?

Interpersonal interaction can be difficult sometimes, it's difficult to say anything online, we don't know you yet :) Usually people learn better and different forms of interaction as they/we grow up!!
There are books and sites about body language or good communication or such too, maybe some of that could be helpful?

Maybe if you join some sports or such, this could improve body language & self confidence too, if this could be a factor?

how does doing something like a sport improve body language?

Feathers

how does doing something like a sport improve body language?

It can improve posture and energy level, also endorphins can make you feel better and have better 'energy/enthusiasm' in interaction with people :)

You can also meet other people there, and practice interaction with them

(depends a bit on the sports too :))

Iluv

Unfortunately people judge without knowing the circumstances. It's best to ignore them, you know you're not a creeper so it doesn't matter what they think. I think maybe you should walk with more confidence and not be scared to look at a girl, as long as you're not giving her the stare down. Just a little more confidence and maybe they'll stop saying those mean things.

rebyoo

I would take it above the person that called you to the guidance office, it was really wrong of them to do that and by the sounds of things you weren't asked for your side of things.

Orion's Hound

Aye, that is what I was getting at. Still shames me to admit what I did, considering how many of my friends suffered from bullying over their looks or weight. Totally hypocritical and weak of me. I did a lot of dumb things when I was a teenager. Unfortunately, I still do dumb things now. At least now I don't hurt other people like that though, so it is something.