afraid of death

Hi there,

I am 21 years old, and I am afraid of death. Why? Because I keep on thinking, is there really an afterlife? I keep thinking that it would be the 'Eternity Sleep' like you can never experience anything anymore, not see anyone anymore, not eat, talk, I just want to exist!! I looked it up on Google this fear, and I learned the Term 'Cease To Exist' and that made my anxiety even worse. but It did let me see that there are other people like me, who are also afraid of not being the experiencer anymore.

I just love life, I love my parents, my girlfriend Oh I would dance,kiss,sex, go out with her everyday now! (to experience the most of it) and I will eat thousands of FRIES, and I just notice that my life is not what I want, Carpe diem is what they say, but yeh, that's another story.

I just am afraid of death. Also afraid of losing other's. It's such a horrorfying thing because there is no escape from it, Since I am afraid of death, all the other things, like SA, fear of spiders or whatever makes no sense, because you can still cure from it or something, but death..You can't go on.

So how the hell can I escape from being Immortal? I don't want to die...Why must we all?? Is there a purpose for living?? Why are we here.. How did earth started.... How did we got all here... Isn't anyone thinking about this at all? People seem so 'On the flow' While i'm aware of odd bizarre thinking.

Anybody...Please help me ....I am terrified..Everytime I think of death, and just imagine everything's away FOREVER, I shake and get this intense like. Oh no. I still want to be with my mom!!! I love her... She's here and I am afraid of losing her.. And I am afraid of dying myself too, It's like we lose all of this..beautiful story of our lives.... Oh and my grandma died in December 2012, that's why death came more into the picture of my thinking...

Thank you for answers I NEED A BIG HUGGGGGG ..

Oizys

I worry about that too, but I'm opposite. I don't like life very much. On the one hand, not existing any more scares me, on the other, I won't exist so it won't really matter, that can be relieving in a way.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
If you think of the notion of ceasing to exist, it's nothing to really fear. If you don't exist, you don't think, you don't worry or desire. You wouldn't be able to miss life or your family or friends, you just wouldn't be anymore.

What's more scary is if we don't cease to exist, and how we live our lives actually matters.

Lea

Banned
You should read books from Raymond Moody, Bernard Jakoby or Dannion Brinkley.
Also stuff about chakras and spiritual bodies. This material body isn´t the only reality, I guess it´s only a tip of an iceberg. And it´s only one stage of evolution to something more, probably. Like a seed for a flower. A young man or a woman evolves from a 2,5 kg baby in no time. Where is the baby, did it die? When the young man or woman gets old, where are they, they don´t exist anymore. All there is is an old person. Nothing stays forever, we are constantly changing and evolving, getting born and dying. Everything is in constant flow, just like the universe, planets orbiting around each other, atoms vibrating. We´re no lonely islands, we´re just parts of the whole and the bigger picture. Finally we will have to learn how to let go of things we are condicioned to cling to. Because if we don´t surrender voluntarily, they will be taken from us. Life is change and suffering, we have to get accustomed to it and go with the flow.

That said, the thought that I will have to abandon everything which was familiar to me one day is making me sad, but I have to accept that this is how we are made and if it is so, it is probably for a reason. We have to trust in the bigger picture. I hope it is a wise one, and if become a stardust or dispersed in the universe after I die, so be it. When I go to the dentist or a surgeon, I fear it but I trust them because they are professionals and they know what they are doing. This way I think about death, the nature knows what it is doing.

If there is reincarnation, I am afraid where I will get born again, if it is somewhere dangerous for example. But there is nothing we can do to influence what the nature decides to do with us.

You should read books from Raymond Moody, Bernard Jakoby or Dannion Brinkley.
Also stuff about chakras and spiritual bodies. This material body isn´t the only reality, I guess it´s only a tip of an iceberg. And it´s only one stage of evolution to something more, probably. Like a seed for a flower. A young man or a woman evolves from a 2,5 kg baby in no time. Where is the baby, did it die? When the young man or woman gets old, where are they, they don´t exist anymore. All there is is an old person. Nothing stays forever, we are constantly changing and evolving, getting born and dying. Everything is in constant flow, just like the universe, planets orbiting around each other, atoms vibrating. We´re no lonely islands, we´re just parts of the whole and the bigger picture. Finally we will have to learn how to let go of things we are condicioned to cling to. Because if we don´t surrender voluntarily, they will be taken from us. Life is change and suffering, we have to get accustomed to it and go with the flow.

That said, the thought that I will have to abandon everything which was familiar to me one day is making me sad, but I have to accept that this is how we are made and if it is so, it is probably for a reason. We have to trust in the bigger picture. I hope it is a wise one, and if become a stardust or dispersed in the universe after I die, so be it. When I go to the dentist or a surgeon, I fear it but I trust them because they are professionals and they know what they are doing. This way I think about death, the nature knows what it is doing.

If there is reincarnation, I am afraid where I will get born again, if it is somewhere dangerous for example. But there is nothing we can do to influence what the nature decides to do with us.

Thank you Lea for your insightful comment. I guess what you are trying to say is ACCEPTANCE. That is true, I will try that, your comment made me feel much more calm. Thank you. I see what you are trying to say. Be thankful, and nature will flow us, it's fine...... Yes.

Thank you so much. And I will look into those authors. Lea. Thank you.

Lowlight

Here is an interesting short clip of Alan Watts talking about death. If you enjoy it there are a few others posted as well.

Alan Watts - Death - YouTube

Penn Jillette (an atheist) had a great quote when asked if he was afraid to die.

“No. I don’t want to, but I have no fear.”

When pressed on how he came to this position.

“1909. How frightened are you of 1909. You weren’t here in 1909; you won’t be here in 2109.”

corranhorn

Do your best to capitalize every moment. Love hard, work hard, find a few friends, and get a few good hobbies that you are passionate about. Despite what you see on the news and social media, the significant majority of people in industrialized countries will die from heart failure, cancer, old age, or just general poor health. You can do nothing to control random chance like accidents, terrorism, natural disaster, etc. There are plenty of tangible, practical things you can do to minimize exposure to early death.

It's all common sense, and it increases happiness. Eat well, exercise, avoid cigarettes, drugs, and excess alcohol. Be mindful when operating that 2000 pound piece of metal that gets you around and don't text or chat on the phone. Wear a seat belt. See the doctor for a physical every now and then. Be prepared for emergencies. Learn CPR. There's much more. Like I said, random chance, or God or karma, whatever you may call it, can reduce you to dust at any moment and you cannot control it. Enjoy what you have and enlist some common sense precautions to enhance your chances of living to be old. Aim to be old and accomplished, so you can embrace death in peace. If you don't make it, atleast you tried and worked towards a peaceful, prosperous life. There isn't much more admirable than that.

MikeyC

I NEED A BIG HUGGGGGG ..
*hugs*

I know a few people who can't even discuss death because it's too difficult to comprehend. Accepting that we die and being okay with it is the way to go, but I'm unsure how to do that. Perhaps therapy of some kind.

I am not afraid of death anymore. I almost welcome it.

LazyHermitCrab

Just be as healthy as you can and get as old as you can. When you get really old you won't be scared of death (or at least not as much). Even though people claim to know what happens, no one really knows the process. I think souls exist. When I say souls I mean our individual energy that travels with us. In the future maybe we will be able to communicate with people who died. Also know as babies we were happy. Wherever we were before must have been a joyous place. :D

Flanscho

The older you get, the less scared you will be.

When I was younger I was also very scared about death. The thought that I will cease to exist and I and everything for me will be gone no matter what I do scared the **** out of me. But now... things slowly change.

Why we have to die? Because we ain't special. We are a part of nature, and do not stand above it. In a century or so, science will probably have found a way to stop the aging process, but we have been born too early to benefit from that.

The purpose of life? Become happy. Acquire knowledge. Make other people happy.

We are here because we are right now the current step of evolution.

Earth got started as a mass of matter, that began to rotate and condense to form the planet we now live on.

We got here mostly due to abiogenesis. That is right now the best explanation we have.

You are you because of the experiences you made and how your brain processed them.

I don't think that there is an afterlife. Afterlife is a nice thought, but to me, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Your angst will get weaker the more you learn, the more you experience, the richer your life becomes. In case of doubt, just consider to freeze yourself when you get old. There might be a society in future that has the technology to unfreeze you and stop the aging process.

SilentBird

Whether there is an afterlife or not, the best anyone can do is live this life fully.

Falkor, I see you are doing this despite your struggle. You share yourself with people and you are courageous in doing so.

Whether there is an afterlife or not, the best anyone can do is live this life fully.

Falkor, I see you are doing this despite your struggle. You share yourself with people and you are courageous in doing so.

Yes I try to live life fully I do Fail in it though because I just got dropped out at college and i am home bound. it's really sad that i still don't have a diploma at my 21th. it really is terrible and i hope it will change.

oh and i dont have friends at all to meet with, isn't that a misery

but one thing i do have is my wonderful girlfriend and her lovely parents and great books and games and my animals

but hey at least i enjoy my macdonalds meal life sure offers some great food

In this world everything works in such perfect order. Go out and feel the sunshine and lay your eyes in nature, then tell me that this is just all a big coincidence of particles hitting each other in the randomness of space.. I do not believe that for a second.

Froggy246

I'm sure I read somewhere that philosophers in the old times would put sculls on their mantel piece to remind them that death will meet us all, so live life to the full. Thinking that all this will end one day, does put things into perspective, if only briefly, and inspires me to make more of my time here, and face challenges etc.
I also ponder the big questions, it's often like an elephant in the room with me, I just wanna say sometimes 'folks, what are we doing here, what is this place, how amazing that we are all on this planet at the same time!' Even though it is tuff at times. But instead ' I like your hair, or dress or whatever, what have you got for lunch' etc.
The idea that I will cease to exist would scare the crap out of me, perhaps induce a panic attack, luckily I'm sure that is not the case, nothing dies it just transforms into something else. In a universe of infinite possibility it's doesn't make sense that awareness, growth and learning will ever end.
I think it will be like waking up from a dream. It seemed so real! :)

'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one'. Albert Einstein

We fear death because we don't understand it, my belief is there is only the now even after death we just shift to a new frequency and observe a new reality. If your afraid of death watch the you tube video about Anita Moorjani dying to be me and watch her amazing but true story

http://www.selfimprovementathome.com