afraid of death

Kiwong

I am afraid of death, because I have begun to realise what I will miss in this life. Life can be wonderful and horrible, but lately I've experienced enough of the wonderful to keep me fighting.

Flanscho

I'm an Atheist. I'm 100% sure that you cease to exist, once you die. Is it scary? Yes, very much so. There have been times, when the thought that I was spiralling towards death made me panic. No matter what I'd ever do in my life, I'd die, and then everything would be gone.

But the older you get in life, I guess, and the more you experience, the more likely you are able to accept it, that nothing lasts forever.

In case of doubt, you can always freeze yourself, and hope that future generations have the technology to revive you. :)

Unless a person is in agonizing horrible pain, without any chance of it improving, I can't see how death can be a solution. By dying, you will cease to exist. There will be nothing anymore. Not the slightest hope that things could be improve.

Flanscho

It is not immature mockery, it´s mature mockery ;)

Mockery is always immature.

So do you have anything to contribute? Any interesting argument? Any point of view? An opinion? A deep insight? Just anything? Or only mockery?

neardeath

the pain is what scares me. More physical and mental pain. My username tells you where I'm at, as I think I live really close to the jumping off point. All we can do is accept it and live our lives. There is no way out. The pain will be here. I can see it is coming by watching the others on the streets and telling myself over and over that "it could be worse." I can send the virtual hug, but I don't know what to say to make it any easier.

Tamara89

I think I'm the opposite where I'm not really afraid of death (finally be at peace) but the dying process I am. I just hope it's a quick death..

Insanewoman389

I've been having some of the same problem the past year or so but my more focuses on eternity, like what if after we die we do go to heaven or something like that and just exist that way for eternity? I mean I'm afraid I'd run out of things to do and that just terrifies me but I'm also really scared of not existing anymore so I understand you're fear of that. The idea of it is just too much to comprehend and it's really depressing to think I'll never see my loved ones again. All I can say is when you're really worked up about it try to focus on something else something you really enjoy or have somebody talk to you, maybe tell you a story. While the thought of death and the afterlife and eternity is terrifying and while I can't say I'm completely over it just reminding myself that its a long ways away (that is hopefully I don't die suddenly) and that I need to do my best to enjoy the life I have now and worry about it when it comes. Hopes that helps :D

Tamara89

I don't mean to be trivial here (i respect other peoples beliefs/religions) but I think religion doesnt help in this case. Especially with the bible and "sins" and "going to hell". It instills fear. Just think about the now. Why worry about the later. I believe it will be an endless bliss or reincarnation, maybe at a higher dimension. Hopefully not reincarnation back to this world though :/ just be positive about it. Even if what I said I believe isn't true, just pretend :)

Amitush123

I don't mean to be trivial here (i respect other peoples beliefs/religions) but I think religion doesnt help in this case. Especially with the bible and "sins" and "going to hell". It instills fear. Just think about the now. Why worry about the later. I believe it will be an endless bliss or reincarnation, maybe at a higher dimension. Hopefully not reincarnation back to this world though :/ just be positive about it. Even if what I said I believe isn't true, just pretend :)

Hell for suicide? if life wasn't hell, people wouldn't be suiciding in the first place.
Religion, in my opinion, is nothing more but a crowd control tool.

Tamara89

Totally off topic but I had a Jehovah's Witness come to my house to preach to my brother. FIY my brother is gay and the pamphlet said something along the lines of being homosexual is a sin and they're not welcome here. So you can imagine the outcome of that. As I said i respect other people's beliefs (I don't follow any religion nor am I an atheist) but i dont have time for those that use their religion the wrong way intended

I'm an Atheist. I'm 100% sure that you cease to exist, once you die. Is it scary? Yes, very much so. There have been times, when the thought that I was spiralling towards death made me panic. No matter what I'd ever do in my life, I'd die, and then everything would be gone.

But the older you get in life, I guess, and the more you experience, the more likely you are able to accept it, that nothing lasts forever.

In case of doubt, you can always freeze yourself, and hope that future generations have the technology to revive you. :)

Unless a person is in agonizing horrible pain, without any chance of it improving, I can't see how death can be a solution. By dying, you will cease to exist. There will be nothing anymore. Not the slightest hope that things could be improve.

, but it would be possible if i would freeze myself, and then my body remains the same 10000.00000 years later, and then they place new technology in my body

Totally off topic but I had a Jehovah's Witness come to my house to preach to my brother. FIY my brother is gay and the pamphlet said something along the lines of being homosexual is a sin and they're not welcome here. So you can imagine the outcome of that. As I said i respect other people's beliefs (I don't follow any religion nor am I an atheist) but i dont have time for those that use their religion the wrong way intended

I'm biollogically female and i like women, so i would be a sin too

Lea

Banned
Mockery is always immature.

So do you have anything to contribute? Any interesting argument? Any point of view? An opinion? A deep insight? Just anything? Or only mockery?

Flanscho, the honest reality is I didn´t even mean it as a mockery. It´s just that this seemed to me as the most appropriate and fitting answer to "I am 100% sure". I wonder if you are really interested in my opinion on things, guess you already have a bit idea from before and don´t agree with it anyway, and when you are 100% sure I guess there is no point in trying to convince you of something else.

My opinion is, that nobody can be 100 % sure of what happens after death, that´s why it seemed to me a bit arrogant to claim so.