17 cultural clashes this European had in America

coyote

thought this was interesting... personally speaking, there is some correlation between the annoyances he lists and the general anxieties i experience (the way-oversensitive PC atmosphere- god forbid saying the wrong thing, pressure to fake it, competitiveness, inundation of ads/consumerism, poor education, etc)

17 cultural clashes this European had in America - Fluent in 3 months - Language Hacking and Travel Tips

awesome article!! :thumbup:

i find all these things annoying as well

as do most of the americans i know personally

Phoenixx

What an awesome (;)) article, dottie. Loved this. I did more skimming than reading, since I'm currently in the middle of finishing my dinner, but I'll definitely go back through and read it. I find a lot of the things on here super annoying too, especially religion, unhealthy portions and wasteful consumerism, and the ads we have to deal with every single day.

MollyBeGood

Those are some really awesome points!

LoL

Great article I can say he was right about everything! Big Smile!

*puke*

Odo

Banned
I have to say that I really like Americans generally, and I don't think it's fair when they get a bad rep abroad. At least they're not stuck up (for the most part).

I think what a lot of Europeans don't realize is that America is BIG and unlike Europe where a lot of different cultures are stuck together, it's really hard to just hop on a plane and discover another culture as a weekend getaway. You'd have to really take an active interest in the rest of the world to get that understanding of geography and culture that Europeans take for granted.

The advertising definitely is ghastly, though... but seriously, San Francisco is more vibrant and dynamic than any European city I've seen... the whole cowboy element adds this sense of danger that's totally sexy.

I love this!

I don't really think any of the things in the article make America "bad" - I simply see it as a cultural difference. Anyone who goes from one country or region to another will find differences they strongly dislike. But I have to agree with a LOT of what the guy is saying. And the IDing thing - yes! An English friend told me that in the UK there are underage kids in bars all the time and no one gives a crap. It's just alcohol, not the devil incarnate. Crazy.

jaim38

Throughout the post, he kept on referring to Americans as "stupid" and "gobsh*t". I'm sure he's not the only European who thinks Americans are stupid. I think part of the problem has to do with our culture. When I was in middle school, it was "cool" to be "stupid". I took regular, non-advanced courses where people pretty much didn't care. I was the only person being serious about my studies, so people thought I was "nerdy" and "uncool". The girls that I hung out with talked about boys, crushes, love, etc and they all thought I was gay because I had no interests in such topics. Making a riot in class was considered "cool". There was this kid who kept pissing off the teacher, and he was applauded by other classmates!

I tried fitting in, even started acting "stupid" just so I could appear normal. Eventually I transferred to AP classes in high school so didn't have to deal with any of those stuff anymore.

MikeyC

I have to say that I really like Americans generally, and I don't think it's fair when they get a bad rep abroad. At least they're not stuck up (for the most part).

I think what a lot of Europeans don't realize is that America is BIG and unlike Europe where a lot of different cultures are stuck together, it's really hard to just hop on a plane and discover another culture as a weekend getaway. You'd have to really take an active interest in the rest of the world to get that understanding of geography and culture that Europeans take for granted.
Oh, totally agree. It's one country with over 300 million people in it. Most of it is going to be the same. Europeans have it good where they can hop from country to country, but a lot of Americans can't if they're too far from Mexico or Canada, and I definitely can't unless I own a boat.

I'm glad he put the things he did like at the bottom, because a lot of his complaints are really rehashed. People know what to expect when going to America - for better or worse - so his opinions are not groundbreaking. I would think that a lot of Americans reading it should be somewhat offended.

I would also say that a lot of issues he has with America is something we have here, too. Would he hate Australia, as well? We have ID checks at pubs. We can't always walk to restaurants in cities. We have wasteful consumerism. I bet Europe does, too! I just don't feel what he's saying should be directed solely at America.

He can also shove his "constructive criticism" up his backside. Maybe I'm too sensitive, too, but I hate this. :giggle:

I'm still going to visit America one day. :)

LeDiskoLove99

Interesting. I must say my first instinct is to be offended, but honestly I agree with a lot of what he said, some of it I didn't. Every place has it's good and bad side, and I think we tend to get a bad reputation. I think there are some major idiots in this country, some major issues that I can understand why people would dislike a lot of things about us. But at the same time there are so many wonderful things! Mainly it worries me that this might scare someone off from wanting to come visit us! That's certainly not what I want! He did mention at the bottom what he loves and I appreciated that. Overall what he hates about our country a lot of us do too. I'm just afraid that some person reading this may not take the full amount of time to read the whole thing and it only fuels the generalizations that people have about America as a whole. I must admit though I'm guilty of the whole heritage thing he complains about. Granted I wouldn't be like " OH YOU'RE IRISH! I AM TOO!" But I do feel a sense of pride of my heritage, where my family comes from, and I don't know that I see anything wrong with being proud of your background. Would I go about Ireland saying "OH LOOK AT ME I'M ONE OF YOU!" Haha no, but like I said I do feel a strong sense of pride of my families heritage. I admit openly to that. And on another note.

Don't be afraid to visit us! A lot of us are very friendly! Haha. I also promise we won't be following you around saying "One of us, one of us, one of us, one of us." :bigsmile:

Oh man, I'm overly tired.

Last edited:

Livemylife

I've lived in America all my life and agree with some of his points. This has probably contributed to my social anxiety, and is one of the reasons I do not plan on living my life in America. The most interesting point to me was the one about fake smiling. I never really thought about it, but it makes sense. People are consistently freaked out, possibly even OFFENDED, by my lack of smiling and friendliness and enthusiasm.
The thing I didn't get was about taxes...I just don't get why it bothered him...Overall the article was OK.

And so the guy just spends all his time traveling? And then writing lists about it? Ok.

Lea

Banned
As for the taxes, I think he meant that if you buy something, the price on it is shown without taxes, therefore it´s misleading. When I first came to the USA (I was there 10 years ago), I remember I bought some postcards at a newstand and there was some price on it but I ended up paying more. I thought he cheated on me but he said it was without the tax.. :idontknow: Then I somehow had to get used to it I think. It´s stupid and useless though.

I was also quite shocked that there was nowhere to buy normal food, if I wanted something there were only gas stations or Mc Donalds etc. To be able to find something normal to eat, you have to search for a supermarket which can be distance away.. which is in Europe too but there are not only a lot more supermarkets, there are shops to buy even normal food everywhere. But in the USA the fast food seems to be the main source of food for everyone. They are probably so used to it that they don´t have a problem with it..

But eventually I was in a place where there were a couple of supermarkets in town so I was OK.

The thing with needing a car is increasing in Europe too.. unlike in development countries, where you have all services in your face all the time which I find quite comfortable. In the UK for example if you live in the country and don´t have a car you just can´t get to the town because often there are no bus services in the villages. Often there are no local shops either, nothing.

As for political correctness and hypocricy, you probably know by now my opinion if you were quick enough to read my views on it before it was deleted. I don´t know how it´s in America and if everyone is so badly afflicted like the guy I used to talk with recently, but I just hate this thing in general.

AGR

The only thing that weirds me out about the US are teenagers driving,I mean 16 is only two years until 18,but its still weird seeing some kid driving a car.......
acording to wikipedia you can drive a car when you are as young as 14 in some states?:idontknow:

coyote

As for the taxes, I think he meant that if you buy something, the price on it is shown without taxes, therefore it´s misleading.

sales tax is levied by each local government, so the amount you pay is different wherever you go - some places don't have any at all, some places are very high. some states don't tax food or clothing. however, most products are produced and distributed nationwide, and marked at the same price wherever they are sold - usually set by the manufacturer (called the manufacturer's suggested retail price or MSRP). taxes are charged separately so that the government's taxation does not interfere with private competition for the pricing of goods and services.

it is annoying though

I have customers from Minnesota who are horrified that Wisconsin charges sales tax on clothing, while my customers from Chicago are delighted to pay half the amount of sales tax that they have to pay back home.

But in the USA the fast food seems to be the main source of food for everyone.

not true at all. most communities are divided into various zones (the local governments even legislate this for various reasons). there are residential areas, commercial, industrial, business, etc.

As a tourist - you probably spent most of your time in commercial or business areas - people work in these areas, they don't live there, so there are lots of restaurants for them to eat lunch, and for tourists to frequent.

Meanwhile, the supermarkets are generally located in residential areas where people actually live, so that they can buy their groceries near home.

Few tourists hang out in the residential areas, since there is nothing to see there but normal people doing the same normal things that normal people do back in whatever country the tourists happen to come from

again, it is annoying when you are travelling and can't find a place to pick up some groceries - but I assure you that most of us here in the US don't eat all of our meals at fast food restaurants - we buy groceries and cook at home just like people in every other part of the world

Last edited:

MikeyC

but I assure you that most of us here in the US don't eat all of our meal at fast food restaurants - we buy groceries and cook at home just like people in every other part of the world
You mean America is not limited to this? My whole perception of America has changed! :eek:

Kiwong

I agree with false positivity, not saying what you really think, not being able to be honest, let alone criticise. But that is an Australian thing too, at least where I work, and the culture of consultation, where bureaucracies ask what you think, but don't really listen to you, they've already made their mind up.

I also found the fact that the book "To kill a mockingbird" was banned, and even now it hits the nerve of some Americans surprising.

The views of the some of the more extreme right wing Americans I find abhorrent. However, and much as I love Australia, that type of world view is here too. When I listen to the views of some of shock jock, radio presenters, or read the opinions of our tabloid journalists, I am ashamed that so many Australians support that world view.