You don't have facebook? then you are a psychopath

KiaKaha

Banned
spoken like a true postal worker =^}

Do you know why postal workers go crazy? Because the mail never stops coming - you get rid of a bundle of mail - and then another one comes along -on and on and on - never ending.... it makes... it makes one start to question ones reality... ones ethics....ones....sanity....

It's ok momma - they wont hurt me anymore....they wont hurt....anyone ...anymore...

Aron

Am I the only one here who thinks it's indeed "weird" if you don't have a fb account? If I didn't have SA, I would have one. The only reason I don't have an account is that I don't want others to see how pathetic my life is, how few friends I have, etc.

Richey

I think SA-ers in general tend to antagonize Facebook too much. Seems like bitterness.

I mean, I don't like it that much either, but it's just a website. Don't let it weigh on your soul so much.

when you are expected to use a website, then step away from it, no other website behaves like that at all. i was around pre facebook when msn and icq was popular, i usually just use msn, as its a private conversation, you know, like a phone call, a chat thing between friends, not everyone on your friends list etc.

i've never been sold by the social media thing at all. though i do like some aspects of it alot.

the story posted in the OP is just another form of trying to condition people to believe that one must join up to feel normal, but its a load of old tripe.

i would say that the people who wrote that story and anyone who believes that one must sign up are the actual psychopaths (lets be honest), they just want more attention, more money from click advertising etc. i mean its obvious.

there are also loads of other social media websites out there for people who WANT to join up. Most people realise that its a choice, but alot sign up because of peer pressure too. Its like going to the supermarket and purchasing whatever foods you like to eat, it will be different to others shopping lists.

gustavofring

i would say that the people who wrote that story and anyone who believes that one must sign up are the actual psychopaths (lets be honest), they just want more attention, more money from click advertising etc. i mean its obvious.

Exactly. Some media just proactively write ignorant, debate stirring things just to get more clicks. Not sure if it's psychopathic though. It's just a sneaky way of making money.

As one commenter on this Forbes article puts it:

"What a steaming pile of nonsense. Anybody who uses the presence of a Facebook page in the decision to hire or sleep with anyone is a shallow half-wit. You know what’s more effective than spreading lies by not having a Facebook page? Spreading lies with a Facebook page.

If you’re in a job where you’re not serving drinks or happy meals, it may actually be in your best interest to NOT have a Facebook page. Unless you’ve got the security settings on, you’re basically inviting employers to cyber stalk you. That’s still a thing, isn’t it? People get in all kinds of trouble at work (and home) for things that they posted on Facebook all the time. I’m sure that happens more often than getting in trouble for not having a Facebook profile. The last things you want to mix are your personal and professional lives. The guy that gets promotions and raises is usually not the type of guy your real “friends” would want to hang out with.

Additionally, when did people become so antisocial that they couldn’t simply go out and meet people in the real world. The internet, for all it’s newfound social-ness, is still an absurdly easy place to hide. It’s not like there are editors. Tell whatever lies you want. Nothing stops you from creating fake profiles. By Facebook’s own admission, there are at least 83 million of them.

If you need Facebook to validate your romantic relationship, you have a @#$@ relationship. People will know the you’re in a relationship with someone if they see you in PUBLIC actually DOING THINGS TOGETHER. I wish this next part wasn’t offensive, but it can’t be helped. Any girl who uses Facebook as a criteria in her decision to sleep with someone ISN’T WORTH entering into a serious relationship with. Where are her priorities and her brain? Facebook, at best, is the Cliff’s Notes version of actually knowing someone.

For the record, I have a Facebook page…that I hardly ever use anymore. I appreciate it for what it is and don’t take it too seriously. It’s even fun…in doses. But the idea that I would ever need one to validate my actual flesh-and-blood existence is frankly absurd. There are plenty of productive, normal, worthwhile human beings who don’t have or want a Facebook account. I dare to say if you don’t have one, you may be more interesting. How is not choosing to do something trivial just because other people are doing it “suspicious”? Maybe if you’re the free thought police? Most people, I hope, would just come to the conclusion that Facebook is not your thing.

I’ve always said at work “when people spend all day at work having meetings, they’re not really doing anything”. Facebook is the same thing. If you spend all day talking about your life, you don’t really have one. Just like you don’t have 145 friends…nobody does. The world is a huge place and life is what happens when you get out and get into it. When did we decide that you need an audience to have a life?

I’m coming off a little mad and I’m really not. I’m actually just kinda sad that we as a society have gotten to a place where this POV actually does have a lot of validity.
"

Long comment, yes, but a good one in my opinion.

If people really have to go to the trouble of telling you you're not normal if you don't have a Facebook... well, even more reason for me not to have one, because clearly there's something fishy afoot. IT'S A WEBSITE, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!

And no, it isn't really comparable to the telephone because a telephone is used for private conversations, generally between two people, and doesn't involve all kinds of privacy-invading nonsense. And don't give me that bull about using the privacy settings. Every time you even comment on something, it shows up on other people's news feeds. Even if they're not friends with the person! Now, maybe some people don't care and find it stupid that others seem so paranoid, but I say it's just a matter of everyone minding their own business - which is the direct antithesis of Facebook.

I think it's more comparable to the TV - most have one, some watch it a lot, some don't watch it at all, and a small minority out there don't own one. But does anyone care, does it reflect on their character in any way??? NO, because that would be ridiculous.

Of course, Facebook offers more than a TV, because it involves interacting with other people, but... there are other ways to do that.

Anyway. I'm not writing all this because I have some great problem with Facebook, I'm just putting down my thoughts as to why I don't want to be a part and why others who find that horrific are just laughable.

Supernova

I'm a friend of a small company on facebook as they sell products I'm interested in and I may one day buy something from them. Well I sometimes ask questions and the other day a well known person in this facebook "group" asked me "who are you? You are always asking questions and don't even have a picture, whats up with that??" So I explained I don't want to put a picture up on facebook, dont use facebook much and explained I am just interested in what they sell etc. Some people are so rude!

Silatuyok

Do you know why postal workers go crazy? Because the mail never stops coming - you get rid of a bundle of mail - and then another one comes along -on and on and on - never ending.... it makes... it makes one start to question ones reality... ones ethics....ones....sanity....

Sounds kinda like my job, except it's cats and dogs instead of mail.

awkwardamanda

@Tally_Lyra: Yeah, um, THIS.

I remember reading a newspaper article or something once. Somebody went for a job interview, and was about to get hired I think, and they asked for the password to his facebook account.:eek: The guy refused and told them he wouldn't work for a company like that. I remember thinking if that were me they wouldn't even believe me if I said I don't have a profile. Apparently some companies require that you friend the managers or something like that. What a load of crap!! I should have the freedom to keep my personal life separate from my job. There should be laws against this kind of BS.

I've toyed with the idea of making a profile for a while, but I'm weary and I keep putting it off. It wouldn't be much of a profile - a name and very few details, if any. I might just cave soon because one of my friends just moved away and I don't like to talk on the phone so the internet is about the only way to keep in touch. I'm just afraid of all the privacy issues. I'd have to go through every detail of the privacy settings to make sure I can lurk safely without people knowing what I'm doing. I'd be afraid to like things, join groups or leave comments because I wouldn't want all my "friends" to see, even if it's nothing to be ashamed of. I just like to keep a low profile. That's all. I don't even like the idea of having my friend list visible to all others on said friend list. I like the fact that my MSN contact list can only be seen by me.

A couple of weeks ago I bumped into someone I used to take dance classes with. She asked if I had any of the other girls from dancing on facebook and I just said no. She said a bunch of them wanted to start up a class again and then she said she'd add me to facebook. I said, "I'm not even on facebook." She was all surprised like, "Really?" Ya RLY. I told her if I'm interested I can always just call the studio anyway.

I like just being aloof and keeping to myself. Nobody needs to know everything I like or all the mundane things I'm up to. (And don't even get me started on Twitter.:rolleyes:)

Etbow23

That's crazy!

Honestly I think it's good to have a Facebook so you can connect with people/stay in touch. But I look around and see people who have literally 700 friends and take pictures of their dinner and post to Facebook...why is THAT not considered abnormal?? Usually people like that are really self-absorbed.

Well honestly I use Facebook as a way to contact people who I don't want to call. I don't like calling people and so it's much better to just say "oh are you on facebook?" because then I don't have to call/commit. I don't know. Also, since I'm looking for a roommate online, I like to be able to see their facebook to make sure they're not a 50 year old pedophile or something. It's a way to verify who someone is in that situation, which is good for me.

shakethelight

I think it can have both positive and negative psychological impacts- but to say not having a FB makes someone a psychopath is outlandish. MOST people I see on FB come across narcissistic & judgemental. That's my biggest flaw with fb how people just seem to bully & laugh about it.

I do think FB if used right can be wonderful. It can raise awareness to whatever cause you support. I am really into animal rights so I belong to a bunch of those type of groups. Cross posting all the shelter dogs& fb has been a huge help with the death row animals. Not to mention donations. I never even knew what a chipin was before fb. So to me the good out weights the bad.