wrong or right

iamthenra

dunno lol :confused:

Original Poster....

Gary you two timing hussy... Dang it all to heck.. You and Barry??? WTF? I thought you were my man.... Jeeze... :D

I think I wouldn't mess with any kid, because you never know who you might offend.... But that's me mate... :confused:

mrb

Original Poster....

Gary you two timing hussy... Dang it all to heck.. You and Barry??? WTF? I thought you were my man.... Jeeze... :D

I think I wouldn't mess with any kid, because you never know who you might offend.... But that's me mate... :confused:

oh ... cough :eek: really mate it was just a fling :rolleyes: your the man for me ..

iamthenra

oh ... cough :eek: really mate it was just a fling :rolleyes: your the man for me ..

OH OH OH... So NOW you want ME to be the Man??? YOu better be liking the garage, because that is where you are going to be sleeping for a while... Hmf..
icon_64.gif

AimeeSP

now i just went to the shops to get a few things , and this woman behind me had a little girl about 5 , now this little girl was crying cos her mum wouldnt buy her any sweets , her mother said look will you pack it up i cant afford it , so the little girl just sobbed ::(: so i picked up a great big bag of sweets paid for all my stuff and the sweets , turned around and said there you go little one giving the kids the sweets , the kids eyes lit up with glee and said thank you and grabbed the bag of sweets , but the mother looked at me and said , she has to learn no means no and people like you dont help , jesus i only got them cos the mother said she couldnt afford it :eek: the mother said give the man back his sweets , i just said lady im sorry didnt mean to offend , and i dont want them , i dont eat sweets and walked out of the shop ....... was i right to get the kids her sweets or not ? i know some mothers on this site are going to enjoy ripping into me over this :rolleyes:

I think you did a lovely think there and the mother was an ungrateful moody cow. :) Like she said, she couldn't afford them and you stepped in, she should have been thankfull! IMO.

Last edited:

mrb

I think you did a lovely think there and the mother was an ungrateful moody cow. :) Like she said, she couldn't afford them and you stepped in, she should have been thankfull! IMO.

OMG LOL :eek: YEA i agree aimee :D see one more for gazza :)

lyricalliaisons

Even though I know you were well intentioned, even if the mother would have had the money, she still probably wouldn't have bought them for the daughter. She's trying to teach the little girl that she can't always have everything she wants. If the mother buys her something one time, the little girl could expect something every single time her mother takes her to the store. She could have very well just told the daughter she couldn't afford it hoping that would keep her from asking. It's up to a parent to decide whether they want their child to have something or not, & when someone steps in & overrides them, they're not going to be happy about it.

Last edited:

Emily_G

I wouldn't have appreciated it either, honestly. If someone doesn't say yes, another person will...mommy and daddy are the two most important people for a child to listen to, they need to learn we mean what we say.

Buying sweets everytime we go to the store is a bad habit I do not intend on starting with my children. Children can sit and behave themselves if taught correctly.

lyricalliaisons

You meant well. :) That counts for something, but...you can't undermine a parent's authority. You giving the child the candy, especially without asking the parent's permission, makes the parent's judgment seem unreasonable in the eyes of a young child who doesn't realize that their parent isn't being mean but is doing/not doing allowing/not allowing something for the child's own good. A very proud person might feel offended by your act of kindness. To them it might seem as though you were offering charity and that can be insulting to some. Some people will figure that you're doubting their ability to provide for their own child.

Children need to be taught that throwing tantrums (was the kid throwing tantrums?) is neither appropirate, nor will it get people to comply with their needs or wants. I will not jump and comply to every demand my child makes as soon as she starts screaming or crying. That is unreasonable and it will seriously spoil her character. Kids have to be taught that 'no' means 'no' and that they cannot always have everything that they want. Often times, it's difficult enough to raise a child and teach them. Then there are people who may mean well but they don't help at all. You have kids, I'm sure you know what I am talking about. Most people who don't have kids probably think that the woman was being mean or unreasonable. It easy for those kinds of people talk about what others should do with their kids when they themselves have never raised a child. Also, with the gift giving...my sister-in-law was telling me how it's not wise for a person to give stranger's kids gifts or buy them things because kids have to be taught to not accept gifts from strangers. For saftey reasons,of course.

My child was throwing a fit in the store once. So, at this point she is crying just to cry as toddlers tend to do when they don't get their way...some complete stranger comes up to her and starts trying to talk to her! I'm standing there thinking WTF? What is the point of trying to teach my toddler something when others are going to come and **** it up? A parent has to show some consistency. When you say something then you have to stand by what you say if you want your child to have some sort of stability. You have to set limits and rules for children. Not overly harsh, but limits are necessary so that a child knows what they can and cannot do. I tell my child that she's not going to get any attention when she throws fits, and this guy comes up and starts talking to her. I had to tell a woman off once becaue the bitch was rudely insisitng on underming me in front of my kid. Someone has to piss me off royaly before I get to that point. That's a story for another day.

I think you're a kind person, probably good with kids, but even a kind gesture could have and adverse effect. It's very likely that the woman returned the candy after you left and the kid ended up even more disappointed. It's also possible that the kid now thinks of her mother's actions as mean and unjust. Unless someone is hurting a child, you should never interfere or assume you know what is going on.
I agree with everything you said, & I don't have kids :)

Lorraine Manca

you're in the right in my book mrb. if the lady said "no you cant have sweets cause it'll rot your teeth out" or "you cant have sweets this time" then yeah, you dont buy the kid sweets, but she said it was cause she couldnt afford it! obviously thats not the reason, so she ought to stop lying to her kid!

agoraphobickatie

you're in the right in my book mrb. if the lady said "no you cant have sweets cause it'll rot your teeth out" or "you cant have sweets this time" then yeah, you dont buy the kid sweets, but she said it was cause she couldnt afford it! obviously thats not the reason, so she ought to stop lying to her kid!

yeah, i kind of agree here.. i guess i always had a straight forward mom who just told me what was up, "no sweets because you haven't had dinner." "no sweets because you've had enough" etc etc... i agree with the people saying the mother could have handled it better as well.. i mean, dang lady, you can't take back what a stranger just did, so why don't you think about how your child is seeing things and make it something valuable to the kid rather than tell the kind(key word, kind) stranger to back off... things will happen that you can't control, that's when you have to think about your child and make that a lesson if something has interfered with the apparent "no means no" lesson she was going with... which conflicts with her "i can't afford them" statement in the first place!

i'm not saying to run around and give kids candy or jump into other's situations, and you know that, i'm just saying it sounds like you made a good judgement and that's the end of it.. :)