would you join a religion just to help with your SA?

JonnyD

OK, i'm really not the religious type, but i'm being invited and i'm sincerelly considering going to a church just to help with my SA problem , not the exorcism kinda help, but to be forced to socialize - wish i'm just sure will happen. because its the very nature of these people

the problem is that its completelly againts my ideals and i don't believe in anything they believe... i don't know how to say no to them...

actually i believe that religion brings more problems then solutions in many ways, also i'm really more of the intelectual type so i believe in no deity but in a "creator" , wish we can't understand due to our litimations.

i'm just that desperate? i'm that out of options?

DanFC

You know that usually you can just attend church as a non-member? That's always a good option. I did that for a while in a Baptist church. I did not end up joining, but it was a good experience in that I got to meet some real nice people. Granted, there were many others that I detested there, including the pastor.

Like almost anything else in life, I'd say just try it ^_^

JonnyD

You know that usually you can just attend church as a non-member? That's always a good option. I did that for a while in a Baptist church. I did not end up joining, but it was a good experience in that I got to meet some real nice people. Granted, there were many others that I detested there, including the pastor.

Like almost anything else in life, I'd say just try it ^_^

i also want to try, but i'm afraid they try to drag me in, they can be very annoying and try to pull you again inside, i don't know if i can deal with it

DanFC

Do you know that as a fact? Of the many churches I've visited, very, very few tried to drag me in. There was only one non-denominational church and the Mormons, but the latter doesn't really count as they are not considered "Christian" by core denominations and my experience was indirect.

Many times members will try to start conversations with you though, especially Baptists for some reason. But if you are looking for social situations, that's what you'd want, right?

hippiechild

Church is pretty awesome in that way, creating common ground and a sense of meaningful solidarity in a tight-knit group. In school I realized that everyone knew everyone else and had seemingly formed tight bonds before they'd even met. The key turned out to be church. They'd already met at church activities and formed a close brotherhood. Even if they weren't close friends, they knew that they could count on each other when push came to shove...

I'd say go for it. It'll probably be fun...if nothing else, it will be an interesting adventure :D

Emily_G

To be honest, church is one of the most stressful places I go. Everyone is so nice and caring, it's not them at all. They all want to talk to me and see how I am doing, which again is very nice...but it makes me nervous.

lyricalliaisons

It seems that there should be organizations, clubs, groups, etc. in your area that revolve around things you're actually interested in that you could do. People in churches tend to be very judgmental & they may very well make your SA worse. I know that was the case with me as a kid.

nopark

I've thought about it before... But even though some people are tolerant of doubters, I am a very strong atheist and it'd feel disrespectful and way too fake attending a service. At the very least I'd be subduing my natural energetic opinions -- so right off the bat every relationship I might forge would have a foundation of lies.

I think lyricalliaisons is right: Better to find some club or group that better matches your interests.

its kind of funny since religion shouldn't cause a burden to one's life. It is made to help one's life slightly more fulfilling and to ease the soul. If religion causes a burden by becoming too much of a nuisance then it is simply wrong in my opinion, since the whole idea is totally subjective.

Remus

Staff member
If it's a community church I could not see the harm in joining, if it's one of those right-wing-godbotherer-brainwashing-organisations, then I'd steer well clear.

Here in the UK we have the Church of England and Methodists that accept atheists and agnostics and don't try to brow beat and convert them.

Richey

the two people i know who have been brought up in christian circles are both very interesting and opinionated, chatty people, the reason is because even though they both find religion to be a bit of a drag it gave them belief in themselves, it opened their minds to philosophy and education at an early age ...it also forcefully exposed them to a community ..all of this helped to mould them into interesting personalities...whether they liked it or not..

now i grew up with none of that and i do feel that there is some emptiness and lack of spirit and drive that religion does give people whether its muslim, christian, hindu, i don't know, but all the religious people i've known are well educated, driven, just great people, it has to be that the religion gave them some inner strength.. ....

mozart87

JohnnyD a lot of people that go to church are being hypocrite:D, so I think you should give it a try. Maybe you'll find a nice girl that wants to escape from there. Her family will say that your the devil and so on...:D

Danfalc

Banned
If it's a community church I could not see the harm in joining, if it's one of those right-wing-godbotherer-brainwashing-organisations, then I'd steer well clear.

Here in the UK we have the Church of England and Methodists that accept atheists and agnostics and don't try to brow beat and convert them.

This +1..I can't stand godbotherers and people who try and push it down your throat.But that being said not all churches are like that.Some are just nice little communities which do there best to help people.My Mum goes to one despite not being religious,and when I was struggling to get on my feet in my new flat,they got carpets sorted out for me an all sorts.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
right off the bat every relationship I might forge would have a foundation of lies.
Yes. Religion is basically the point of going to church (or at least it's supposed to be), and sooner or later the subject is going to come up. I've tried it out just for social reasons, and I always felt like a liar even being there.

The pressures to believe are always there, too. It's never been shoved down my throat or anything when I went, but there are a lot of subtle pressures. Especially if I mention that I'm agnostic (no, that doesn't mean generally clueless and undecided! grrr :mad:).

Plus like Emily said everyone there acts so sweet and caring, it puts me off. It doesn't seem real at all--like they're only on their best behavior because they're in God's house or something.

AimeeSP

I would say go for it. :) I attended church a few times last year with my friend and i really enjoyed it. (i don't go now because i'm really self concious of my weight around everyone). Everyone was really friendly to me and nobody forced fed christianity down my throat. (Although i'd say i'm in between being agnostic and christian at the moment if that makes sense lol, i do believe in God but still a little doubtfull at times).

When i went to a catholic Church for my cousins babys baptizism, i found it extremely religous and alot of elderly people kept coming upto ME praying for me, which was nice of them but it was abit too much for me. The Church i went to last year with my friend was different, everyone was much more laid back and accepting of everyone and i don't mean to be ageist lol, but there was alot more younger people at this church mostly 50 and under (i think because it's a new church a much more up to date church with rock/acoustic music how cool! I think it's evangelical). :)

Anyways, i'd say give it a try, you may like the socializing. :)

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
I've had several experiences with church (sect) and some religious groups. All I can say is, I prefer "normal" people, whom I can talk to normally and who are not brainwashed into religion. In the religious groups the people usually are very sweet and appear unusually caring and interested in you - but it's too good to be true and also mostly is. They are interested in you only as long as they have hope that they'll make you switch to their faith and do what they want. If you don't and stay yourself, you stop existing for them. Which shows it was no unconditional love. A truly god loving people should love everyone no matter what belief they have. And not only those who come to their church. By all means I think you should stick to what you believe (or not believe) in, don't give in just in order to obtain their love.

U

userremoved

It would depend on the religion and how conservative they are. When I did go to church my SA did get better actually and I was even convinced to sing in the choir for a few years, something I would never before have the courage to do. But like I said before, if they're too conservative then I start getting self conscious and anxious that people are judging my lifestyle.