would you join a religion just to help with your SA?

Island_chic

OK, i'm really not the religious type, but i'm being invited and i'm sincerelly considering going to a church just to help with my SA problem , not the exorcism kinda help, but to be forced to socialize - wish i'm just sure will happen. because its the very nature of these people

the problem is that its completelly againts my ideals and i don't believe in anything they believe... i don't know how to say no to them...

actually i believe that religion brings more problems then solutions in many ways, also i'm really more of the intelectual type so i believe in no deity but in a "creator" , wish we can't understand due to our litimations.

i'm just that desperate? i'm that out of options?
I think you should go. A lot of people go just to socialize. i go for more than that...It helps me feel so positive about living life and I actually have been making accomplishment lately since i feel very positive and content about my life no matter the s.a. I go to church and sing in a choir! Yes a choir and I never thought I would be taking singing lessons either!!

I use to sing to myself at home as a child all the time. I always loved to sing. I never though in my life I would get the opportunity and courage to sing. I couldn't even believe I was taking lessons. I have been throughly happy since joining a church and singing as well.

I go to my mom and stepdad's church and that is the support I needed to keep going. This church is really traditional so I usually don't
have to talk that much. I go to a Episcopal church and like it best. Plus I sit with the choir and I like everyone and also feel comfortable around them to have small chat. I really don't have to talk to the congregation. This is the one thing that lights my life. We sing classical style music which I like best.:D

It depends on the church that you go to to test what you really like best. If someone invites you to church or anywhere you should go. It will be good for you to go anywhere and get out and at least be around other people it is very helpful.:)

Last edited:
Back when I was dating a muslim girl (who was also bit a recluse) I considered becoming a muslim just for her (and for the socializing in the mosque, it's actually a pretty warm & welcoming community btw) even though I'm basically an agnostic/atheist I was willing to pretend for her.

in the end I decided not to though

Lorraine Manca

i did exactly that, not for socializing but just so i could be a part of something, its a toss up whether thats a good thing to do or not. sometimes i feel like a liar, othertimes i feel like the details of it dont really matter. if they ask you to do crap for them, SAY NO or they'll just keep calling more. if you get involved its really important to be able to limit it to what you actually want to do, rather than getting sucked in. a

Remus

Staff member
This +1..I can't stand godbotherers and people who try and push it down your throat.

Yep and I have the same dislike for zealous athiests at the other end of the spectrum. I don't discuss my beliefs or non beliefs, that is my own business. I've never given anyone reason to challenge me as when religion is brought up I explain I have no interest in a debate.

lunarla

I say you should go and see for yourself if you like it! Be strong willed though, I mean, no one can force you into a religion. Keep an open mind, but still, question things! I'm interested in attending different churches too, but, so far I haven't done it. Well, I went to Sunday School as a kid, and a Sikh Temple, and a Youth Group at the beginning of high school but that was mostly it. Oh, and I went to some Christmas dinner at the Catholic Church, hahah. That was interesting. I think that environment can be really warm and inviting, but it can also be kinda eerie if it's toooooooooooooo warm and inviting.

Last edited:
I'm an atheist, but when I was still questioning my beliefs and bouncing through the nebulous muck of agnosticism/spirituality/atheism, I attended a few church services with religious friends. Guess what? It was a bad idea. The last time I was inside a church I broke down SOBBING UNCONTROLLABLY (sorry for the caps lock, but really) in front of the entire congregation. Soooo I admit - I'm biased. Religion pretty much freaks me out at this point.

I'd advice against joining a church as a form of social networking mostly because it sounds like it wouldn't ring true for you: the friendships you might form might be based on falsehood instead of actual common ground. You'd be having interactions with people, sure, but they might not be very meaningful... Find people who you do have common ideals with!

Maybe you could find a support group or something similar in your area? *shrug* I know that I've considered going to OA meetings as much because I'd like to meet people as because I have an actual problem.