would a guy like a girl who has no ..friends?

U

userremoved

We like to think so...

Well since we're capable of higher thought than most lower life forms, we're going to have more complex issues than say, a dog would. Even though we have similar emotions and desires as other mammals I still believe human beings are capable of emotions and desires that aren't quite as simple as the other creatures. But it's your choice whether or not you want to be driven solely on instinct instead of some instinct and logic.

Felgen

Should I remind you that we are different from the other animals? There's more in a relationship than instincts, genes, courting, whatever. Think like one of your specie.

Thinking like one of your own specie is thinking 98,4% like a dwarf chimpanzee. Sex feels good because Mother Nature wants the species to procreate. Sexual attraction isn't anything more than instincts + some standards set by the media.

But it's your choice whether or not you want to be driven solely on instinct instead of some instinct and logic.

Oh really? Would you reproduce with a genius who you weren't physically attracted to whatsoever. Logic dictates that it's the correct think to do...

U

userremoved

Oh really? Would you reproduce with a genius who you weren't physically attracted to whatsoever. Logic dictates that it's the correct think to do...

I've met women who I wasn't sexually attracted to when I first met them, but after I knew them a while and realized I loved who they were they suddenly became sexy to me. I can't explain that honestly. I think there's more than one kind of attraction when it comes to us. Besides since when does reproducing with a smart person guarantee smart kids?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Don't know what you mean by that. I'm an animal.
If there were no more to your brain than primal instincts, you would not be capable of typing things at your computer.

It's irrelevant whether I've had a relationship before. And asking me such a question is no different from asking me whether I have friends.

Here's the difference: what you're saying is rather like declaring that you're going to love licorice, since it's a sugary candy, and humans have an instinct to gobble sugary foods--without ever having tried licorice.

Back to topic though, I think I can work out how everything works through observation of other relationships and my own feelings on the matter.
You are not the first to think this. Life is remarkably complicated, and things tend to turn up or happen in real life with astonishing frequency that you never would have anticipated. No human, me or anyone else, is actually clever enough to figure everything out without the need to experiment and experience things.

I've met women who I wasn't sexually attracted to when I first met them, but after I knew them a while and realized I loved who they were they suddenly became sexy to me. I can't explain that honestly. I think there's more than one kind of attraction when it comes to us. Besides since when does reproducing with a smart person guarantee smart kids?

You are either not being totally honest or you are a remarkable man.

As for what you said before about relying totally on instincts- that's not what I implied at all I was doing. As I said, certain instincts are just too strong to fight against. For me at least. If other people are different, then all power to them.

U

userremoved

You are either not being totally honest or you are a remarkable man.

I not going to claim to be an honest nor a remarkable man. I would like to have sex with beautiful women too. But I have become attracted to girls in the past I would've overlooked had I not found out I enjoyed who they were. Unfortunately they didn't feel the same, thats what the good old friend zone gets you lol.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Well, you can attribute almost any form of human behaviour to survival insticts.

That doesn't mean that, in the moment of meeting someone, you aren't going to consider anything but their looks. What if that girl is a total bitch and treats you like less than crap? The abuse will most likely ruin your mental health. Definitely not good if you are considering survival, right? And what is good for you might not be good for others. There's not general rules about physical attractiveness.

Our survival instincts might be different from other animals, because we deal with different problems. But I'm not going to talk much about it, because I don't want to say anything ignorant or go off topic.

Rembrandt Broam

Back to topic though, I think I can work out how everything works through observation of other relationships and my own feelings on the matter.

That's a little like saying you think you can learn to drive a car by watching other people drive. It isn't that you can't learn *anything* from observation, but watching someone drive or reading driving theory books is very different from being behind the wheel.

If there were no more to your brain than primal instincts, you would not be capable of typing things at your computer.

Here's the difference: what you're saying is rather like declaring that you're going to love licorice, since it's a sugary candy, and humans have an instinct to gobble sugary foods--without ever having tried licorice.

You are not the first to think this. Life is remarkably complicated, and things tend to turn up or happen in real life with astonishing frequency that you never would have anticipated. No human, me or anyone else, is actually clever enough to figure everything out without the need to experiment and experience things.

I disagree with your first statement. As I said before, you can attribute almost any form of human behaviour to survival instincts.

As for the fact that you think I'm going to suffer as a result of my decisions, well, I can't see why you would be so concerned about me.

About your metaphore...well, following these instincs will guarantee me satisfaction- since in the survival/instinctual perspective, it would always benefit my genes (at least in the past...and the evolutionary hangover, well, I cannot help it). Consuming too much sugars (energy) is not always a good thing. Yes, Energy is positive to us which is why you are drawn to sugary food. But up to a certain point.

And besides, as I said before, I can't help it. In the same way that you cannot help dating a person who is completely unattractive to you. Not consuming certain foods because of their bad reputation...i think I can tolerate that.

Hellhound

Super Moderator

I'll speak from my own thoughts. If I like how the other person is, I will like how they look too. If I don't like how they are, I won't like them physically. That's how my logic works... if you can call it logic. IDK. And I'm not thinking about reproducing. I'm thinking about company and being loved and accepted.

What you say might apply to you and maybe other people. But not everyone's minds work like that.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
About your metaphore...well, following these instincs will guarantee me satisfaction- since in the survival/instinctual perspective, it would always benefit my genes (at least in the past...and the evolutionary hangover, well, I cannot help it). Consuming too much sugars (energy) is not always a good thing. Yes, Energy is positive to us which is why you are drawn to sugary food. But up to a certain point.
My metaphor was to point out that you're oversimplifying; that there's more to it.

But, alrighty. Just try not to be surprised if you end up dating a beautiful girl who leaves a foul taste in your mind.

mads

I'll speak from my own thoughts. If I like how the other person is, I will like how they look too. If I don't like how they are, I won't like them physically. That's how my logic works... if you can call it logic. IDK. And I'm not thinking about reproducing. I'm thinking about company and being loved and accepted.

What you say might apply to you and maybe other people. But not everyone's minds work like that.

I think the most important is that. EVERYONE is different. Everyone has different needs, sees the world differently. If everyone was the same, wouldnt it be kind of borring.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Thinking like one of your own specie is thinking 98,4% like a dwarf chimpanzee. Sex feels good because Mother Nature wants the species to procreate. Sexual attraction isn't anything more than instincts + some standards set by the media.

But that's not what people have in mind most of the times, right? People in relationships aren't looking for that only. What about company, love, etc? Having someone you can relate to? What about feelings? I wasn't talking about sex at all, I was refering to feelings and certain thinking patterns that make us different from a chimpanzee.

mads

But that's not what people have in mind most of the times, right? People in relationships aren't looking for that only. What about company, love, etc? Having someone you can relate to? What about feelings? I wasn't talking about sex at all, I was refering to feelings and certain thinking patterns that make us different from a chimpanzee.

I agree with you

Felgen

I wasn't implying that people in relationships wre only looking for sex, but sex is a part of a relationship and a relationship without someone you're sexually attracted to won't work--it will just be self deception.

Pookah

I'm more worried about the prospective girlfriend. No one deserves to be wanted for shallow reasons only.