Women That Don't Want Children?

nodejesque

I've always pictured having a big family... having four.. adopting four..

However, I am the youngest of five women, all my sisters have children... and I've been lucky enough to be there for their pregnancies as well as the children's birth..

Let me tell you... after seeing them give birth to my beautiful nieces and nephews... I can't say I would want to put myself through that. Its horribly ugly. Their vaginas exploded! Bah. I love them... but *shudders* I can barely handle stomach cramps.

Anyway.. who knows. Not saying I never want any, but... pretty close to it. Lol...

Kiwong

Last edited:

5arah

The popular religions of the world do preach having lots of kids-Every sperm is sacred. I don't feel the need to go into it all. How many people do you know from big families who are not religious?...not many...

I'm a religious person from a religious background, and no one has ever told me I need to make lots of babies. Most of the couples I know have 1-3 children. I plan on having none. If you're talking about the "quiver-full people", they represent a minority of Protestants. And if you're taking about Catholics, yes, they do believe birth control is wrong (which is their right to believe), but most Protestants would beg to differ. Ive never heard anyone call sperm sacred. I can't talk about other religions, or really even Catholicism because I don't know their opinions on having children. You believe whatever you like, but don't make vast generalizations.

nodejesque

Ultimately, its your prerogative wether to have children or not. However, to make assumptions about other religions or cultures in reguards to this matter based on a biased opinion, will indeed lead to disagreement. No two people will ever think the same. That's the beauty of the mind.. to each its own.
If we want our beliefs and opinions to be respected... then we can't try to enforce or shove what, ultimately is an opinion, down others throats.

Yes the world has overpopulation, devastation, poverty, hunger, and desperate need for compassion... and those things will continue to be there. We can just educate ourselves in ways to minimize our contribution to the problem.. and see options as to how to do our part in alleviating some of these stressing matters.

As a woman, ultimately... regardless of religion, population, and opinion... I will do what is best for me.

As for the role of the father... or overall mentality in regards to the male social role. You raise your family to be the change you want to see. Show them that men don't have to follow gender stereotypes...

The lack of the paternal figure in the household, although unfortunate, does not have to be detrimental to the upbringing of a family.

Anyway... all this talk about babies is making my ovaries hurt. So ill stop.. lol

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

I'm a religious person from a religious background, and no one has ever told me I need to make lots of babies. Most of the couples I know have 1-3 children. I plan on having none. If you're talking about the "quiver-full people", they represent a minority of Protestants. And if you're taking about Catholics, yes, they do believe birth control is wrong (which is their right to believe), but most Protestants would beg to differ. Ive never heard anyone call sperm sacred. I can't talk about other religions, or really even Catholicism because I don't know their opinions on having children. You believe whatever you like, but don't make vast generalizations.

I am agnostic and I wouldn't be offended if a religious person said over generalizingly "Atheists/Agnostics just don't have big families." I think that the facts are there. Religions throughout all of history and today for example go to Third World countries (poor desperate people on the fringes of life) with their minions of "missions" to get the "heathens" to believe in God which also means pro-life and anti-abortion dogma is preached upon them-More babies! More people in the name of God! I am not making this up, everyone knows this.

If you are religious and have no kids you are the exception and not the norm.

I was able to find at least a dozen websites about over population-anyone can do a Google search-plenty of scientists with their data saying the world cannot keep sustaining this much human life at the rate the we are reproducing. (why do we need to fill every nook and cranny of the world with people anyways-Lets leave the open spaces alone) I am happy that people are having smaller families, or none at all and becoming more aware of their impact on this planet. It does show signs or intelligence for the species and maybe hope .

Oh yeah nodejesque-exploding vagina's Eeek!! Yet another reason to not have babies! ...I guess c-sections are really ment for emergencies or having only one baby that way though from what I read. I do hear more women are going that route nowadays.

Last edited:

5arah

I am agnostic and I wouldn't be offended if a religious person said over generalizingly "Atheists/Agnostics just don't have big families." I think that the facts are there. Religions throughout all of history and today for example go to Third World countries (poor desperate people on the fringes of life) with their minions of "missions" to get the "heathens" to believe in God which also means pro-life and anti-abortion dogma is preached upon them-More babies! More people in the name of God! I am not making this up, everyone knows this.

If you are religious and have no kids you are the exception and not the norm.

I was able to find at least a dozen websites about over population-anyone can do a Google search-plenty of scientists with their data saying the world cannot keep sustaining this much human life at the rate the we are reproducing. (why do we need to fill every nook and cranny of the world with people anyways-Lets leave the open spaces alone) I am happy that people are having smaller families, or none at all and becoming more aware of their impact on this planet. It does show signs or intelligence for the species and maybe hope .

Oh, I'm certainly not denying that the world is overpopulated. I've never looked hard at the data, but it certainly doesn't surprise me to hear it is—there are a lot of us.

MollyBeGood

Oh, I'm certainly not denying that the world is overpopulated. I've never looked hard at the data, but it certainly doesn't surprise me to hear it is—there are a lot of us.

*waits for someone to chime in to refute this* :eek:h: LoL

jaim38

I just thought of another reason why I don't want to have kids: excessive sweating! I get embarassing sweat stains in different parts of my body, including underarms, chest, and back. I don't want to pass sweat genes on to my future kids. Plus I'm short so my kids will also probably be short too.

Which brings me to a related question: is it ethical to reproduce when one has a terminal illness? For example, people suffering from Huntington's disease. There's a 50/50 chance their children will get the disease and suffer from it.

But I've heard about gene selection programs that allow prospective parents to pick which genes they want in their designer babies. But this is going against nature. Is it ethical?

I'm sorry if I offended anyone on here. This is in no way targeted towards anybody.

Last edited:

Oizys

Which brings me to a related question: is it ethical to reproduce when one has a terminal illness? For example, people suffering from Huntington's disease. There's a 50/50 chance their children will get the disease and suffer from it.

Personally, I wouldn't have children if I thought I could pass on something that would make their lives difficult, or more difficult than life should be. And I'm sorry if I offend anybody, but I don't believe it's right to have children if you're aware you could pass on some devastating conditions. If people are really intent on having children, I think adopting is the best alternative in those situations - look after people who are already here, that need homes, instead of creating new people with potentially the same problems.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I think that whole overpopulation thing is nonsense, a lot of people say this but I'd like to see some facts and links. The Earth could support far more people than it does now. Most Western countries are actually struggling with low birth rates and an ageing population and need people to have children.

I think that comment about big families is a bit offensive, everybody has the right to choose how many children they have, whether it be 0 or 50. Some people choose to have big families, it doesn't mean their extremist religious nutcases. There's a lot of different reasons why people might choose to have big families.
The earth can support more people than it does now. And it will--this is inevitable. People will keep having babies. We have not yet reached the point where we crash the biosphere, but as long as the population keeps rising, that point is also inevitable.

You give the example of growth rates slowing in western nations--true story. The official U.S. census bureau estimates the growth rate will be slower than in previous years, and that the rate peaked in the 1950's.

Here's a chart. The growth rates are indeed slowing down--a bit. The growth itself I would say is quite substantial; wouldn't really categorize it as struggling.

poppolicy.gif

You can verify the statistics on the official U.S. census bureau page.

Raw data: http://www.census.gov/population/censusdata/table-4.pdf

Methodology and assumptions: http://www.census.gov/population/projections/files/methodology/methodstatement12.pdf

That's a projected growth "from 314 million in 2012 to 420 million in 2060" (quoting the U.S. government site).

The overall trend in industrialized, 'advanced' nations is a slowing in growth rate, too. Again, that should not be interpreted as any sort of decline in population--the reality is very much the opposite.

It's important to bear in mind that while industrialized nations are not skyrocketing in population nearly so quickly as most 'third-world nations', the amount of resources consumed is far, far greater per capita in industrialized nations. This is the concept of the ecological footprint.

Here's a link to a site about footprints: Ecological footprint statistics - countries compared - Nation Master

The united states is #2, requiring an average of 12.22 hectares to sustain as opposed to say, Ethiopia with 0.85 hectares per person.

You can debate the exact number if you don't trust that website, but I think we can agree that someone with electricity, running water, a widely varied diet, ipod, etc is going to consume more resources than someone who eats pounded cassava every day and lives in a mud hut.

So basically, both an ever-larger number of people and an increasingly industrialized world are consuming resources at an ever-increasing rate. The planet only has so many hectares--it's a question of when we run out, not if.

Meanwhile, we're killing off most of the other species at an alarming rate. The given number is usually one species every 20 minutes, which is a mathematical construct based on a certain number of species per hectare of habitat lost. Even if that number is off a bit, the habitat loss isn't--it's easy enough to measure.

Here's some real-time stuff: Statistics - WorldClock.com

I'm curious as to your source that says overpopulation is nonsense and not a real threat.

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

WoW!!! Nathaniel!!! Just WoW!...look at that data! Man!!!

Silent Bird-where did you find that? Looks interesting!...

though usually the people who want to volunteer to be extinct IMHO are the ones we need to keep around!...except rapist and child murders etc of course.

Kiwong

The last 2 billion people where added to the earth in 13 years and 12 years. Some reckon the population can reach about 10 billion before reaching a limit, with possible fluctuations due to shifts in available resources. A world with many more people in it, will be very different to the one the resource hungry countries are clinging to in the name of economic rationalism. The warning signs in the environment, climate, health are a quite clear.

A world with people living on top of each other, and not a moments privacy, or opportunity to escape into nature would be a nightmare for me. I spoken to those who have visited countries like India, where there are so many people, there isn't a moments privacy.