winking...is it rude?

Aden

I just want to know before I go around winking at everybody. Is it rude? will girls think I'm sort of pervert? will I give off the wrong impression in doing so? this is sort of a dare I set myself for always ignoring acquaintances I bump into, so instead of showing off the conventional greeting gestures, I'll wink.;) thanks

Rose_Red

I'd play it safe and go with the smile and nod. Winking can give the wrong impression.

I agree.
You don't want people to get the wrong impression especially if it's not your intention and I would think most people would probably feel more comfortable with it rather than a wink.

mmmm

I consider winking very rude. I would much rather be smiled at, like people have already said.

Feathers

Well, you might consider doing it in SOME situations, very sparingly... Like when you talk to someone, joke around, and then wink.. that can be kinda cute.. (depending on the context of what you talk about!! eg if you're flirting or joking a bit, and if there is rapport and such..) Or to a girl you like... especially if she's been looking at you, for example.. (and that indicates she might like you) You must also do it in a kind of confident way.. :) ideally when you're in a good mood.. (And some people practise in front of a mirror haha) Some people can pull it off better than others too, you can see from the situation a bit... (Do they cringe or smile/wink/joke back?)

Not just to everyone everywhere... It's like 'condiment', to be applied sparingly.. :)

Smile and/or nod is safer for 'everyone', yeah... :)
Just smile is often enough, especially if you're a girl.. If you're a guy also saying hi is nicer, especially if you might want to go further from 'acquaintance' to 'friend' (or more) maybe with that person...

This may also be different in different cultures and environments (eg school vs vacations or work or such, depends on the kind of work too)... I'd expect certain ages to be different too...

Last edited:

coyote

in the language of gestures, winking is more of a punctuation mark than it is a word

so it can easily be misconstrued if used by itself with no supporting context

Toomuchfear

I wouldn't suggest winking to strangers. They may get the wrong idea about what your intentions are.

I save winks for friends, when I get bored of waving or nodding.

I'm shy around women, so I have learnt to smile at them in passing. Some smile back, and if they do I say 'hi.' You would not believe how fear-inducing this is, but I'm working on it

Deus_Ex_Lemur

;)

lol it depends the context of the wink... and who. If I winked I'd get that eye permanently closed with a fist in it's socket.

I assume this is RL not online.

caringsoul

Banned
yeah i will think u hav an interest in me if u wink..
i would over-analyse it.. and think why u winking at me..
doesnt mean i like it..
i dont think its a good idea.. and it can send out a wrong message.

may i add.. its not encouraged.. unless the 3rd person likes it.

Last edited:
B

Beatrice

Heh. Some guy who went through the drive-thru yesterday winked at me. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Don't do it :p

Hastings & Main

If a woman winked at me I'd love it, but it doesn't work the other way around.
Maybe it did in the 1930's or 40's, but today a guy-wink pretty much means something not good is up.