Why do you think you're alone?

worrywort

If you're like me and don't have many friends, and tend to avoid starting new relationships or getting too close to people, why do you think that is?

I think I had a little revelation recently. I've been finding that when I look around at other people for potential friends and relationships, there doesn't seem to be anybody out there that I particularly like. I've been worried that I've been becoming too picky and too hateful of others. But then I realised it's just another defence mechanism I've adopted. Relationships are hard for me. All forms of social contact are generally pretty stressful and nerve-racking for me, and feel like chores and ordeals to get through, rather than pleasurable experiences. This is because I'm generally always on high alert for my root fear of negative judgement. Always, at the back of my mind, I'm worried that I'll do something embarrassing or a tough question will be asked and all my shameful secrets will be exposed.

And so when it comes to getting close to people, I avoid it because it's at that point when I have to reveal my social peculiarities to them, and it can all get a bit sensitive and painful. When I reveal how I don't really have any friends and spend 95% of my time alone, and how I have some pretty shameful attitudes I'm not proud of that my social anxiety has morphed out of shape over the years, most people don't respond well to these revelations.

I also hate being the one that always pulls away from a relationship first. I don't want to hurt people'e feelings, I wish I could love everyone, but most people I find too much hard work to be around, so I have to say goodbye, or phase them out, because of my own shit, not theirs.

And so because of all of this, I've basically become ultra cautious and picky about who I begin relationships with. Particularly with people who don't have any experience with SA. I almost right them off immediately, because I just can't imagine how a relationship with that person would be anything but excruciating, when my weird social peculiarities are exposed to them, there's just no way they'd understand.

But perhaps this is harsh and a little pessimistic. Everybody's got baggage to some degree. Maybe other's would be more sympathetic than I think. And also, maybe getting to know someone, only to realise it's not quite working and to drift away from each other again, maybe that's not such a terrible thing? Maybe that's how it works? We still connected in a small way for a short while and that's something at least.

But I'd love to hear people thoughts on all this stuff. Can anyone relate?

ImNotMyIllness

If you're like me and don't have many friends, and tend to avoid starting new relationships or getting too close to people, why do you think that is?

I think I had a little revelation recently. I've been finding that when I look around at other people for potential friends and relationships, there doesn't seem to be anybody out there that I particularly like. I've been worried that I've been becoming too picky and too hateful of others. But then I realised it's just another defence mechanism I've adopted. Relationships are hard for me. All forms of social contact are generally pretty stressful and nerve-racking for me, and feel like chores and ordeals to get through, rather than pleasurable experiences. This is because I'm generally always on high alert for my root fear of negative judgement. Always, at the back of my mind, I'm worried that I'll do something embarrassing or a tough question will be asked and all my shameful secrets will be exposed.

And so when it comes to getting close to people, I avoid it because it's at that point when I have to reveal my social peculiarities to them, and it can all get a bit sensitive and painful. When I reveal how I don't really have any friends and spend 95% of my time alone, and how I have some pretty shameful attitudes I'm not proud of that my social anxiety has morphed out of shape over the years, most people don't respond well to these revelations.

I also hate being the one that always pulls away from a relationship first. I don't want to hurt people'e feelings, I wish I could love everyone, but most people I find too much hard work to be around, so I have to say goodbye, or phase them out, because of my own shit, not theirs.

And so because of all of this, I've basically become ultra cautious and picky about who I begin relationships with. Particularly with people who don't have any experience with SA. I almost right them off immediately, because I just can't imagine how a relationship with that person would be anything but excruciating, when my weird social peculiarities are exposed to them, there's just no way they'd understand.

But perhaps this is harsh and a little pessimistic. Everybody's got baggage to some degree. Maybe other's would be more sympathetic than I think. And also, maybe getting to know someone, only to realise it's not quite working and to drift away from each other again, maybe that's not such a terrible thing? Maybe that's how it works? We still connected in a small way for a short while and that's something at least.

But I'd love to hear people thoughts on all this stuff. Can anyone relate?

I can relate to this.

PerseverareJasmine

I think that most of my hesitance about getting close to people involves the fact that I often feel undeserving of someone having an interest in me, whether that interest be in becoming my friend or having a romantic interest in me. My feelings of inferiority and self-doubt often overpower my mind and get in the way of me being close to others. I start thinking "Why would they want to be around me?" "I'm not interesting enough for them. I'm too quiet. I'll just bore them and they'll get tired or annoyed of me." Its something that I've struggled with for a really long time now. I try to avoid thinking that way, but I guess my mind has just adjusted to going back to all of the doubt and low self-worth, like a bad habit that I bounce back to. Since I've had these sort of thoughts for years now, its challenging to not feel discouraged by them. I think that I've might slight improvements when it comes to the issue, but I know I still have a long way to go before I can be more accepting of myself and comfortable with who I am.

I also fear the feelings of vulnerability that come with being very close to someone. I always wonder what a person's true intentions are, and it takes me quite a while before I can let myself trust that the person wouldn't want to hurt or betray me. Sometimes I feel like a person might just be planning some kind of cruel trick by getting close to me and acting like they like me, only to lead me on or turn around and say the whole thing was a joke. I need to reach a certain level of security before I'm able to say I trust a person.

I've fortunately met a few people who I can say that I trust and care about, and they've given me good reason to believe that they wouldn't want to hurt me, just like I wouldn't want to hurt them, so that's enough for me, and I'm thankful for them. I've never been concerned much about the fact that I don't have many people who I'm close to, for me its more about the quality of the people who I am somehow able to connect with.

ImNotMyIllness

I think that most of my hesitance about getting close to people involves the fact that I often feel undeserving of someone having an interest in me, whether that interest be in becoming my friend or having a romantic interest in me. My feelings of inferiority and self-doubt often overpower my mind and get in the way of me being close to others. I start thinking "Why would they want to be around me?" "I'm not interesting enough for them. I'm too quiet. I'll just bore them and they'll get tired or annoyed of me." Its something that I've struggled with for a really long time now. I try to avoid thinking that way, but I guess my mind has just adjusted to going back to all of the doubt and low self-worth, like a bad habit that I bounce back to. Since I've had these sort of thoughts for years now, its challenging to not feel discouraged by them. I think that I've might slight improvements when it comes to the issue, but I know I still have a long way to go before I can be more accepting of myself and comfortable with who I am.

I also fear the feelings of vulnerability that come with being very close to someone. I always wonder what a person's true intentions are, and it takes me quite a while before I can let myself trust that the person wouldn't want to hurt or betray me. Sometimes I feel like a person might just be planning some kind of cruel trick by getting close to me and acting like they like me, only to lead me on or turn around and say the whole thing was a joke. I need to reach a certain level of security before I'm able to say I trust a person.

I've fortunately met a few people who I can say that I trust and care about, and they've given me good reason to believe that they wouldn't want to hurt me, just like I wouldn't want to hurt them, so that's enough for me, and I'm thankful for them. I've never been concerned much about the fact that I don't have many people who I'm close to, for me its more about the quality of the people who I am somehow able to connect with.

Ugh! This too!!

Metal_isthe_Answer

I'm not social and take absolutely no chances. I listen to heavy metal, and I'm a huge gamer, and nearly every like minded person I meet is a huge pothead, and that's a huge turn off for me

DeLasDudasInfinitas

worrywort said:
Always, at the back of my mind, I'm worried that I'll do something embarrassing or a tough question will be asked and all my shameful secrets will be exposed.
PerseverareJasmine said:
I often feel undeserving of someone having an interest in me. Sometimes I feel like a person might just be planning some kind of cruel trick by getting close to me and acting like they like me, only to lead me on or turn around and say the whole thing was a joke. I need to reach a certain level of security before I'm able to say I trust a person.
I couldn't have said it better.

I'm not social and take absolutely no chances. I listen to heavy metal, and I'm a huge gamer, and nearly every like minded person I meet is a huge pothead, and that's a huge turn off for me

Im alone all the time and I dont mind it but at the same time I feel like Im missing out on life I hate meeting new people because people are only nice because they want something from you I only want to people who are real and not afraid to speak their mine I don't believe anybody understands me Im not charming or fake so people dont like me I always speak my mind I dont kiss *** and I never will I dont care what they have to offer I'm not the norm I'm never in one place I have no place in society and thats okay Im going to do what makes me happy

Im alone all the time and I dont mind it but at the same time I feel like Im missing out on life I hate meeting new people because people are only nice because they want something from you I only want to meet people who are real and not afraid to speak their mind I don't believe anybody understands me Im not charming or fake so people dont like me I always speak my mind I dont kiss *** and I never will I dont care what they have to offer I'm not the norm I'm never in one place I have no place in society and thats okay Im going to do what makes me happy

I am quiet and conversations with me are not enjoyable, so this makes being around me awkward. Knowing that someone will feel awkward and not comfortable talking or being around me is not a nice feeling either, so I decided it's not worth it to try being social because I just can't. This leads me to avoiding people and any other social situation, I try to chitchat for a few minutes if I unintentionally meet someone I know or like today a classmate sat next to me for the second time during lecture so I try to be nice and say a few things, but I still wished he didn't sit next to me. It's not that I want to be alone all the time, I do want to talk to someone that I can feel comfortable to talk with but it seems impossible. It feels as if to feel comfortable with someone, that person has to know and understand everything about my anxiety etc because they'll understand then if I'm being awkward or weird right, less anxiety then. There is no one around me that I can see as potential friends and relationships, other than people that I know online, particularly here. This is why I'm alone.

OceanMist

As BSammy has said, people like me don't have much to offer. That's a big reason why I'm alone.

Stimulating conversation is something that must be provided by someone in order for them to "fit in" and be liked. I normally can't provide that type of conversation.

My life is unattractive. I sit around by myself a lot and enjoy doing stuff alone like watching sports on tv or playing video games or watching movies. I am a boring person, and am seen as a loser by a lot of people because I don't hang out with anyone.

I'm not fun. My personality is very introverted, and I don't talk enough to be seen as someone that is socially "in style."

If I had to simplify all of this it's I'm not an interesting person. People that aren't alone are in the position of social abundance because they are interesting people. They make themselves interesting because of how much they talk and the fun way in which they talk and carry themselves.

Regret93

Half my own fault, half other people's fault. Circumstances and reactions. I've learned to be content with it just enough to not go crazy haha. Coping mechanisms are fun

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
By choice an' circumstances.

Ma life's quite mundane. Plus, ah don't exactly huv that outgoing, charmin', charismatic personality that people want tae spend time wi'. The doonside o' bein' an introvert, ah suppose. Ma physical disability hinders things as well. :sad:

I WAS alone. I didn't have friends, zero. ZERO ZERO!

But now i got friends, not a lot, but still. it's worth it.
I think i was alone because i had street fear, i didnt go out of the house.
not even the ****ing mail box.
now i realize how stupid that was, but yeah, its been what its been.

i now face ppl, i found them on the internet and now became friends with them....so thats how i did it.

online friend making. the best for shy ppl

ImNotMyIllness

I WAS alone. I didn't have friends, zero. ZERO ZERO!

But now i got friends, not a lot, but still. it's worth it.
I think i was alone because i had street fear, i didnt go out of the house.
not even the ****ing mail box.
now i realize how stupid that was, but yeah, its been what its been.

i now face ppl, i found them on the internet and now became friends with them....so thats how i did it.

online friend making. the best for shy ppl

Wow, you really came along way. That's awesome. Congratulations!

monchy

I'm alone because I'm quiet and because I'm not making a conversations with people. They can't understand why I can't talk with them, so they're asking me:"why are you always so quiet?", so I say:"I don't know".

Conclusion: they don't hate me, they're just acting like me :) They have no reason to hate me, because I haven't done anything bad to them...

Alienated

I can't stand LIARS, IDIOT'S, and Childish immoral behavior in adults..

That's why I am alone, I don't want anything they have to offer.