why do people ask me if i ever talk?

CeCe

like whats the point?? all it does is hurt feelings. I can be having a great time doin my own thing not worrying much...and then out of the blue someone will ask me "do you ever talk?" in those exact words...and it hurts a little bit...like they see it as weird and unnatural...and after this comment...my self esteem will really go down. i beat myself up and feel like crying when they say it. i try my hardest to not have people notice it..and then they point it out. I get it basically everywhere i go...what should i tell them?? because after it i feel like everyone is watching me more closely.

People ask me that a lot, too. I also wonder what kind of response they expect to get. If you say "yes I talk", they wonder why you're not talking at that exact moment. If you say "no", then you're just "weird", and they're singling you out for it. If someone asks you that, either way, you lose. I usually ignore it, or sometimes I say "I don't answer stupid questions".

Phoenixx

I sometimes get this too, especially in new settings. I really hate the question, it's just really rude to me. Obviously everyone talks (unless they're deaf), but some just more than others. When someone asks me that question, I'm usually quite taken aback and hurt, so I just end up mumbling "Yes" or something.

IGotSeoul

Depending on the context, it could be an insult or a completely innocent and curiosity motivated question. If it's the latter, which normally in my experience it is, then they simply don't understand why some people are quiet. It's like me asking somebody on their IPad, "Why are you updating your twitter every 5 minutes?" In most cases, the question is not meant to be harmful. We see things from our perspective, to us, this is normal. To them, they are wondering why it's normal.

If somebody asks me if I talk I'll respond something like, "Yes but only when I feel I need to."

Or I'll smile and say "Not very much."

Honest and to the point. Don't lose confidence in yourself.

HeadFace

I hate this question so mch... It makes me feel like, if I start talking after the question, I'll seem fake like I'm just trying to be accepted, and if I don't, I'll just be even more miserable, and stuff.
As for a response.. I usually just say "yes.." Or tell them I dont have much to say at the moment. Either way you're singled out, and afterwards want to just leave even more.

Sprunk

I used to get asked that a lot.my usual response was "sometimes people talk too much".

LazyHermitCrab

Yeah asked twice by the same person at work... i just reply along the lines like not all people communicate the same way....

ridicule

Depending on the context, it could be an insult or a completely innocent and curiosity motivated question. If it's the latter, which normally in my experience it is, then they simply don't understand why some people are quiet. It's like me asking somebody on their IPad, "Why are you updating your twitter every 5 minutes?" In most cases, the question is not meant to be harmful. We see things from our perspective, to us, this is normal. To them, they are wondering why it's normal.

That's a very good point, not all the times it's meant to insult or annoy, some genuinely nice people try to understand. My normal reaction to the annoy, smarmy way is just to coldly look them in the eye, and then they stop asking, but I generally use that opportunity for a tirade about people filling the air with useless noise.

If someone is genuinely curious, answer honestly, but if they are being annoying or insulting, ignore them, and if it's at work/school, just tell them you are busy.

<ladybug>

I hate when people ask you that. I am also told/asked "how come you never smile?" it's so annoying cause people who i wasnt talking to or DONT EVEN KNOW will tell me that. You expect me to sit there smiling at nothing? Jeez...

But yeah the talking question I just smile and say that i'm quiet most of the time.

Srijita52

Yeah,a lot of ppl ask me that too,its really annoying...bt I guess sometimes they ask these questions without thinking or realizing how much they're hurting us.Also some talktive ppl find it hard relating to the fact that not everyone likes to talk so much.Its one thing that still gets to me though.

sucettes

I haven't got asked that in a long time, but if someone ask me that i'll ask them if they ever shut up

I have always had problems when someone has asked me questions like this. It's very annoying. But now I know what I can reply. Thanks, lol.

MaliceInWickedland

Because they simply don't understand the meaning of "social phobia".

People always ask me the same thing. They'll be like "how is it humanely possible for a person to be so quiet?" - Seriously, what the hell do you care? I'm just a naturally quiet person. I can't help it if I'm not an obnoxious little chatterbox like most other people my age. Does it really bother people that much to be different?? I mean seriously, why can't people get it into their thick f*****g heads that not everyone in this world has the capability to easily adjust to the public and be able to approach others and talk to them like they've known them all their life or something even if they're complete strangers. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

People have the nerve to call me "weird" simply because I'm quiet when to me it seems like they're the weird ones for being able to magically talk to every single person they run into and relish in the spotlight like it's no big deal. I guess some people just really love having all eyes on them while others like me abhor it.

Phew.. wow. Sorry about that little fit I had there... I can't help but get really worked up just thinking about people's inconsideration towards the antisocial population.

Last edited: