Why are you so quiet?

Yukinari

I get asked this question sometimes, mostly by girls. I mostly respond with "I don't know." or I nod my head trying to end the moment. I feel really bad after that like I'm completely worthless. I just wanna say that I'm sorry so bad, but I just can't because of how scared I am. :(

mndigi

I laugh and tell them it's just the way I am. There's nothing wrong with simply being quiet. A ball can be red, yellow or white. People's natures are different.

mndigi

I get asked this question sometimes, mostly by girls. I mostly respond with "I don't know." or I nod my head trying to end the moment. I feel really bad after that like I'm completely worthless. I just wanna say that I'm sorry so bad, but I just can't because of how scared I am. :(

At least girls talk to you.

mndigi

to tell the truth when somebody asked me that i said : because i have social phobia and i'm on meds , and i tell the whole history , how sick is that ,uhn? then the person say something like : you r pretty and you look normal , and blah blah ,then i say but you dont get it .

I don't know how appropriate that is. One of my therapists had once told me to not tell about my issues to people. I didn't ask the reason for it and I never judged it. But I by myself don't tell people about my issues because I don't trust them that much.

Interzone

I tend to smile and shrug most of the time following by breaking eye contact with the person and making myself look uninterested in the question, in other words, I ignore them.

Nosey Biatch: Hel-o-o? You don't, like, ever, like, talk!?
Myself: *giggles nervously* Um...
Nosey Biatch: And like, all you ever, like, do is like, laugh when people ask you a question. Why are you so quiet? You're like the quietest person I know.
Myself: Um. I *giggle* dunno...

Kathryn

I say my English not to good, but no one really buys that... I wish I would have the balls and say coz you bore me to death haha

But what's even worse then being asked why are you so quiet is... Do you talk? Can you speak?.. It happened to me once and I felt like Iam appearing like a retard

I used to ride my bike to elementary school each day, and the crossing guard would ask me every day, " are you mute death? do you TALK??" I never replied to her, but just kept walking. it was always very painful for me, and I was so young =( it was very sad.

luck254

My god... It is the worst question for me, when i was in first grade of highschool if some guy im my classroom ask me this, i just answer "you don't care about it" but with girls i'm kinda diferent, i try to be more outgoing and confident, however if some girl ask me the same i answer her "i just wanna be like i am" :D

Errordotocx

I used to get asked this all the time back in school. The way I was asked was in general of some type of harassment form. I got told one time that "there is a conversation going on here and I could feel free to join in and talk at anytime I wanted to".

I would usually just shrug and say "I dunno". The best way I found to avoid this is try to enter the conversation in some form or another. I'm still known as the shy guy in certain situations and it doesn't always play out bad anymore either since I have stepped up my game. But i'm still the one in general that doesn't talk as much.

SteveW

I've been told in the past, many times, that I'm quiet/shy. I can't really remember what I've replied, but it depends who's asking.

Perhaps it's because I've had people take the piss out of me for most of my life and cannot trust people, therefore don't really want to attract attention to myself.

TheFreak

When people ask you why you're quiet, what do you tell them?

This question has always bugged the shit out of me, especially if it's from someone that I don't know, or care to. Do they actually expect an answer? I've heard this for years ever since I became a loner, and it just gets more annoying. Maybe one day I'll get so fed up that I'll answer with: "Oh, did I seem quiet? Here, let me get into a pointless conversation with you even though I don't really care what you have to say. How about that weather eh?"

But meh -I, as im sure many others do, just answer with the usual "I don't know..." and an annoyed look on my face.

user12053

ok actually i just thought about it. thats so bloody rude to ask that question?

why are you so quiet?

um f*** off why are you so nosey? you don't ask them why they are so loud/annoying whatever they are... it's pretty rude

people suck.

It IS rude! Its kinda like when people tell me Im very skinny... I just wanna reply with "and you're reaaally fat... you should join the gym as soon as possible"

Noca

Banned
I just act stupid and retarded to them followed by saying something witty that blows their mind of how intelligent I actually am thus making them look like a fool.

Perfidion

I have several stock responses to that irritating question:

"I'm not quiet. Everyone else is loud."

"I'm contemplating the imminent destruction of the world as we know it."

"Why are trees made of wood?"

I'm naturally contrary, and enjoy being deliberately vague, snarky and odd. That, and the fact that "Why are you so quiet?" is such a mind-numbingly dull question means that I'm forced to amuse myself... usually at someone else's expense.