Who is your role model or inspiration in overcoming SAD?

twiggle

I guess my biggest inspirations are a few people I met abroad, people who have seen and experienced some terrible things and not only got through it, but got through it with their determination and spirit intact.

And anybody who ever followed their heart and wasn't afraid to do so.

Lexington

Banned
Jesus
Buddha
Gandhi
Anyone who had the courage to be true to themselves and choose their own path in the face of unpopularity.

KiaKaha

Banned
I am too old to have role models being the mature (ahem *cough cough splutter*) individual I am - but I have always been inspired by people such as Bob Geldof, Maximillen Robespierre (initially - till he went crazy with bloodlust due to his radicalism and paranoia - he is actually considered to be quite evil) Peter Benenson and Ben Metcalfe. Examples that a single thought or idea can revolutionize the entire world for the better.

Last edited:

Newtype

Something that I understood during my fight against SA is that you have to stop idolizing people. Role models only disappoint you eventually. Idolizing others takes the focus away from yourself, it prevents you from becoming the person that you were born to be, the person that can stand tall, with his/her own wisdom, purity, vision and strength.

lonely_drummer

Albert Einstein. Even when he could barely get his doctorate or even a decent job after he graduated, he still gave it his all. He never gave up while working in that patent office. He was somewhat cut off from the world of Physics which I do believe is why his ideas were so original and ahead of his time. Originality, that is one thing I will always admire and strive for.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Now that I'm pretty much out of my teen years, I don't think I rely on celebrities as role models as much anymore. But when I was growing up, Amy Lee was my biggest inspiration. She is a great musician and she is much different to a lot of the other women in the music industry. She also inspired me to learn how to play the piano and write music. I don't think it has anything to do with overcoming SAD, but Evanescence's music did help me through times of depression.

YellowBird

He's not a role model exactly..more like an alter ego,Kurt Cobain,i don't talk about it that much,people will think i'm a complete nut for thinking so and i don't like people talking about him either,it feels weird.Anyway,i think that if i knew someone like him,i wouldn't care about all this ****,it feels like i'm not complete,that's all.i'm a half person wandering around with my insides all bare and painful.

twiggle

People I know personally: My sister, my nephews and a few certain friends.

People I don't know personally: How sad, there isn't really any particular famous figure that I see as an inspiration. Maybe Ingrid Michaelson.

Iluv

He's not a role model exactly..more like an alter ego,Kurt Cobain,i don't talk about it that much,people will think i'm a complete nut for thinking so and i don't like people talking about him either,it feels weird.Anyway,i think that if i knew someone like him,i wouldn't care about all this ****,it feels like i'm not complete,that's all.i'm a half person wandering around with my insides all bare and painful.

I used to look up to Kurt Cobain too but my whole family decided to bully me until I stopped listening to Nirvana and took down the poster. But I still love him.

dancingintherain

ohh wait, I have another, johnny depp ;) I become I a fan like 6 years ago. It may sound stupid but he kept me from going insane. he made my life a bit better. Also helped to develop taste in movies, art, music and literature. It doesn't make sense does it? ;)
I admire him because he is interested in oddballs, outcasts. In which case he creates the most wondeful characters alive on screen :D

One of his quotes: "if there's any message to my work, it's ultimately, it's ok to be different, that it's good to be different and we should question ourselves before we pass a judgement on someone who looks different, talks different or is a different colour"

Entangled

I have been told I should find a role model, but it is difficult for me to find one. I usually just feel huge amounts of envy towards a person with better social skills than me, and I don't think that is the right thing to feel toward a role model. I am not sure what I should feel, which is probably why I don't have a role model yet.