Who is your role model or inspiration in overcoming SAD?

montejocarlo

Who is your role model or inspiration?

Using a role model works for me. There are people who exude so much confidence and cheerfulness that those who see them feel confident and cheerful too. Wise and positive people are very inspiring too.

My favorite role model is Kelly Clarkson. If you know her, you'll figure why she's a perfect role model.

How about you? Do you have a role model? Who is it and why? :)

Last edited:

MikeyC

I know who Kelly Clarkson is, but why is she a role model for you?

I don't think I have a role model. I would choose my brother or my best friend but they don't always have the best attributes. I need to be my own role model sometimes.

Shyangel

Kelly Clarkson is a great role model. I admire her some myself.

I honestly don't try and model myself after people, strangely enough. I probably would be better off if I did.

I kind of admire Angelina Jolie, because she goes to other countries to help needy children and also adopted some. That's admirable. I don't know much about her aside from that.

I also admire Jessica Biel. She's a strong, beautiful confident women. I admire women who kick butt.

Tomasso

I'm probably going to catch a ton of flack and/or hate for this but hopefully people will understand it in a distanced way that I do.

I don't consider him a "role-model", but I'm inspired by Hitler in overcoming my SA. Oh no everybody freak out! Ok, now before everybody flips out, I don't support any Nazi ideology or support Hitler's actions whatsoever. Now I will explain why I am inspired. First, some background information: last semester I had to write a 15 page paper using only library books about his life before he joined the Nazi party. As you can imagine I learned quite a lot about him. Many people, including childhood friends, his physician, etc, who knew Hitler before he fought in WW1 described him as shy, socially awkward and unwilling to stand up for himself. He had a few close friends but was largely solitary, preferring to work on his art alone (Painting was his hobby). For me, this sounds a lot like social anxiety.

But back on topic, it really surprised me to see that this man who has been described as one of the most confident, charming and charismatic politicians in history could have lived his first 20-something years with social anxiety. It really inspires me in the sense that maybe I can come out of my social anxiety, and emerge as a confident and charismatic person.

Last edited:

MikeyC

That is certainly an interesting choice, Tomasso. I only know Hitler for his more widely-known atrocities but I do know he was quite a broken man mentally, particularly after WW2. I suppose if you just look to his anxiety side, you will find some similarities, as you have done after researching him.

montejocarlo

I know who Kelly Clarkson is, but why is she a role model for you?

She's beautiful without pretense. She's that person who can say something silly and laugh at herself. She's the most spontaneous and natural person I know of. & She has conviction in everything she is and everything she does, like nobody can ever intimidate her. Sometimes, when I feel bad, I would remember her and realize that I'm overreacting. It helps me loosen up.

Yeah, i read a book on him years ago, and i can sort of understand how he became how he became, due to his problems growing up. In my REAL bad down-times, years ago, i would sometimes look to such "bad" people as him for some kind of "sharing" & as a possible source of answers to my painful existence .. i even at one point had convinced myself i was his reincarnation, thinking why else would i be suffering the unbelievable pain i was in on a regular basis, i must have done something REALLY bad in a previous life. But like Tomasso, Hitler wasn't my role model, just a tool for understanding some stuff.

Although i for some reason don't have role models now, i used to have a few, and one of the main ones was Mr Bean, but i wasn't trying to be like him, i was kind of already like him in a number of ways. I can still talk like him (hehe)

Edit: I now realise that this thread is about "...overcoming SAD". Oops. Oh well, too late, posted now

MikeyC

She's beautiful without pretense. She's that person who can say something silly and laugh at herself. She's the most spontaneous and natural person I know of. & She has conviction in everything she is and everything she does, like nobody can ever intimidate her. Sometimes, when I feel bad, I would remember her and realize that I'm overreacting. It helps me loosen up.
That's fair enough. :) I'm glad she's someone you can look up to.

Hmm I don't believe in having role models. To have a role model is to set limitations. Really our possibilities are infinite. Why not be your own role model. Aim higher and you'll go further.

montejocarlo

Really our possibilities are infinite. Why not be your own role model. Aim higher and you'll go further.

I agree. It's just that there are moments when you feel lost and you don't know where to start. It's always nice to have some foothold.

MrJones

I don't take celebrities as role models, I don't know them so they don't inspire me. I can be inspired by people I know, and it's not very usual.

Lonelykitsune

Don't really have any role models I look up too but I love Florence and the machine's singer (Florence welch) sense of style and expression.

Hopefully she'll bring capes back.

Invisibleman

I suppose if I had to pick a role model id have to pick one of my old boxing coaches.

Hes in the Canadian boxing hall of fame,hes fought all over the world and stuff. Now with that boxing has left him in pretty bad shape,hes old and crippled with deteriorating health,yet he would still drive an hour every single night to go to the gym.

He was always told to stay home but he refused and said he does it for the kids. One time all in the same night he was layed off from his job and
his house had burned to the ground,all of the thousands of his trophies and pictures were completely destroyed.

He still had the audacity to get in his car and make the hour journey into the gym that night with a smile on his face. We all kept asking
what happened and he just said dont worry about me.

Then one day he gave me a necklace with a golden boxer on it from the 70's, it was the only thing he managed to save from the fire,the only thing he had left to remember all those years that consumed most of his
life.

I dunno,just how he could still smile after all of that... But the necklace really stayed with me, how he was able to just let go of all those cherished memories and move on so quickly. I think he knew very well not to dwell on uncontrollable misfortune..

He was the only person who ever thought highly of me,He had so much belief in me. If,rather when he passes, im highly considering a tattoo in his honour.

Feathers

Aww, Invisibleman, that's really a touching story about your boxing teacher...

(I'm against tatoos in general, for health reasons and such, I can understand how you want to honor him in some way though :))

hmm, MANY people inspire me.. some on this site too!! :)

Otherwise, let me see... Oprah, Whoopi, Cher, Maria Montessori, Albert Schweitzer... Mother Theresa (lol) and others... Barbara Streisand was a big inspiration when I was younger too :) They are all strong people who lived their beliefs, even when it wasn't easy... They are not 'perfect' or 'perfect-looking' but they really made a difference... (Mother Theresa hated to be photographed too lol)

Style-wise etc other people (& even book characters :)) have been an influence too

These have been my inspiration in other things too...

Section_31

John Wayne
Clint Eastwood

Patrick Stewart
Darth Vader (not joking)
Brent Spiner

A few videogame characters im not gonna mention cause im too embarassed to say a fictional character inspires me, LOL