Where did SPW go?

worrywort

Anybody else find socialphobiaworld.com replaced with an ad from godaddy.com to renew the domain name? or was it just me?!:confused:

Does anybody know who runs this website or have any contact with them? Does anyone know the costs involved in keeping this forum running? Server space, domain name costs etc? I'd be happy to contribute if needed.

it's just got me thinking. I'd hate to see this forum disappear for whatever reason, so I'm wondering how this website is maintained? Who runs it? How many people have the power to restore it?

mads

It must have happened to all.

The problem was that the webmaster had forgot to pay or they didnt get the money for some reason for the domain renewal. If you dont pay the fee each year which is about 10-15 USD as I know, the domain will be closed down and delete, but you have a couple of months to pay before it is completely deleted.

Now there is some google adds on the sites so there is probably an income here

If I should come with a guess in the price of having in running. I would say probably about 200-300 USD a month at least, because they probably have their own servers at the host. But total price I would have no idea about but dont think it is so much more.

philly2bits

As others have said it looks like the webmaster forgot to renew the domain name.

Considering the nature of the site it's unfortunate it's not community run and instead it all comes down to one person who doesn't really seem all that interested in it.

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy it. ::p:

awkwardamanda

I hadn't logged in for a couple of days and I came back to find it was gone!:eek: I was so disappointed! Good to see it was just a little glitch.::p:

mads

As others have said it looks like the webmaster forgot to renew the domain name.

Considering the nature of the site it's unfortunate it's not community run and instead it all comes down to one person who doesn't really seem all that interested in it.

I would suggest that e.g. Remus, as he has been mod quite a long time, asked the webmaster for admin rights for both the site and domain. Imo it is a problem is only one person has these rights and he/she is not in the daily management of the site

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

Any idea how much such a site would cost to run, or how to do it? I've seen a case of an entire message board population jumping ship to start a new one because the owner didn't care or maintain it more than minimally.

I was apparently one of a few people unaffected by this recent site problem. I also saw Remus online when almost nobody else was. I was under the impression he wanted to take a break from the responsibilities of this place though, rather than take on more.

philly2bits

Any idea how much such a site would cost to run, or how to do it? I've seen a case of an entire message board population jumping ship to start a new one because the owner didn't care or maintain it more than minimally.

I've heard it costs a few hundred a month to run. It makes just enough from ads to cover the costs.

I was apparently one of a few people unaffected by this recent site problem. I also saw Remus online when almost nobody else was. I was under the impression he wanted to take a break from the responsibilities of this place though, rather than take on more.

You would have to ask him about that.

Rembrandt Broam

It's easily done. I work for a fairly well known company here in the UK, and a couple of years ago they forgot to renew one of their domain names. Customers logging onto the site got something similar to the "Go Daddy" page seen here yesterday. A few people were called into various offices to explain themselves. Fortunately I wasn't one of them. ;)

coyote

While the rest of you were off somewhere, me and Midnightstar had a party.

We had wine and guacamole, listened to classic rock, and played Twister.

I'm still a little sore.