When you say "SA" what do you mean?

What do you mean by "SA"

• Social Anxiety Disorder, or Social Phobia (the disorder).

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Social Anxiety in general. Not necessarily the disorder, just having anxiety to a degree.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • Shyness to some extent

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Symptoms or characteristics of Social Anxiety Disorder, such as avoidant behavior

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • Something not related to SA at all, like "Space Applesauce."

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • You interchange 2 or more depending on the context/desire to confuse me

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • None of the above. (explain please)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Hi, this is just a semantics question that has been bugging me since I first joined the forum. When you use the abbreviation SA, or say "Social Anxiety," what are you referring too? I know it can vary depending on context, so just in general.

WeirdyMcGee

When I talk about my SA in general, I'm talking about my Anxiety/Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia.

When I address other people's SA, I'm talking about any of their varied mental states; be they shy or depressed or anything else that limits their ability to socialize.

NP88

SA to me encompasses my depression, social problems, and avoidance issues. I dont know If I would consider it clinical social anxiety.

KiaKaha

Banned
SA to me means anxious around other people and having poor social skills, as well as feeling shy and not being able to relax to be myself. I am the typical awkward weirdo no one wants to talk to.

Last edited:

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Space Applesauce was it exactly. Then I thought hmm maybe Stinky Armpits. Then I found out it was Social Anxiety.

I think SA is a term broad esp on SPW. I guess ergo the poll. I kind of go with what Weirdy said, and add limiting yourself living your life, for I think SA to me goes beyond just socializing it's dealing with people period, performing, etc. And I realize SA to others is different, and encompasses a lot of things/issues.

Ms Cloud

Social Anxiety Disorder or Social Phobia, which is not the same as just being shy.
Yeah... I'm not shy at all. But I am a social phobic, meaning I avoid social interaction because I expect it to go badly from past experience, and because my anxiety manifests in physical symptoms, and because it has prevented me from developing social skills (whatever those are).

From what I understand, social phobia is when your avoidance extends only to things involving other people. The label is to distinguish it from pure avoidance, which can extend to anything and everything in life, including but not limited to the social aspects.

razzle dazzle rose

Social Anxiety Disorder or Social Phobia, which is not the same as just being shy.

I refer to SA to mean social anxiety disorder/social phobia. I am not shy. This goes beyond shyness. A lot of people use that abbreviation so I started using it too. To fit in and all.

Apotheosis

Generally when I say SA I'm referring specifically to social phobia, but I may group phobia with other disorders as well depending on the context (I'm primarily schizotypal - so my having social anxiety/schizoid traits is a kind of a 'what came first' question).

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I thought this was the case, it drives me nuts! I used to always say SAD or SP but now say SA meaning the disorder. When I say it out loud though I think Social anxiety, a common thing among people (like stage fright, or nervousness). But when I see the thread "would you date someone with SA?" I think Social Anxiety Disorder, because just social anxiety alone is a quality many people have in situations, and gives the question a whole different meaning to me. Ah it's just the semantics drives me nuts, sometimes I think one thing is being said but I'm totally on the wrong page about.

KiaKaha

Banned
I am confused. I always thought social anxiety meant feeling nervous/awkward around other people to some degree. Its now clear that its an umbrella term covering a range of anxiety problems.

Agent_Violet

I mean the more broad,general term... Not shy though. I'm definitely NOT shy but because of bpd I developed social phobia among other social issues. I still think of SA as an umbrella term that encompasses all aspects. Now if someone used SP I would automatically think social phobia which is more specific. SAD is the most specific way to put the actual disorder in my opinion...

Dead_on_Arrival

I see it as an umbrella term, till the D is added.

SAD, Social anxiety disorder.

Not to be confused with

SAD, Seasonal affective disorder.