What's you American Accent? (quiz! :D)

w*n*c*a*m

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

90%
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

69%Boston

65%The West

47%Philadelphia

46%North Central

42%The South

39%The Northeast

33%The Inland North

-------------
I don't really know much about American accents. I only speak what was taught to me. Although my current location is kinda influencing some changes in the way I pronounce particular English words. Like "marry"... I used to say it with the 'meh' sound but I just realized today that I say it like 'mah' now.

xDreamseller

I ended up with a Philly accent. I filled out the quiz using my "Tom Delonge" accent...doesn't sound Philly to me.

I'm not native english speaker but i tried this test :)

Your Result: The Northeast
86%
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey,
New York City,
Connecticut or Rhode Island.
Chances are,
if you are from New York City (and not those other places)
people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

85% The Inland North
81% The Midland
81% Philadelphia
73% The South
42% Boston
39% The West
7% North Central

AGR

I am from brazil,but I got curious,so here it is:
88%

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

58%
The West

55%
Boston

50%
The Northeast

46%
The South

45%
The Inland North

44%
Philadelphia

28%
North Central

Lamb

Your Result: Philadelphia
Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.
Result Breakdown:
93% Philadelphia
80% The Midland
76% The Northeast
65% The South
63% The Inland North
44% Boston
18% The West
5% North Central

Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz

:lol: I highly disagree. Not close to there. I do pronounce Coffee like "Kawfee" though.

Last edited:

cocorose

Your Result: The Northeast
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.
Result Breakdown:
94% The Northeast
87% Philadelphia
85% The Inland North
60% The Midland
54% The South
38% Boston
18% The West
2% North Central

Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz

OH YEAH. Jersey, baby! lol

drganon

Mine said inland north. I guess that kind of makes sense. I was born in long island, and raised in north carolina by parents who lived most of their lives up north. I also grew up in the triangle area where much fewer people have a southern accent than other parts of the state. I always thought I had a generic accent.

Your Result: The Midland 95%

92%The West
56%Boston
53%North Central
46%The South
26%The Inland North
20%Philadelphia
15%The Northeast

Interesting. I've seen arguments about the whole Midwestern/"not having an accent" thing before. From what I've seen, people usually agree that everyone has an accent, but it is just varying degrees of noticeable.

Also, people from Missouri definitely have accents. And people from Southern Illinois sound different from people in Central and Northern Illinois. To me they sound "southern." (Do these test peeps consider everything south of Chicago to be "Southern Illinois?" A lot of people do. It's really annoying.)

Last edited:

telepathine

ok, i had to take this quiz. i'm kinda sorry for bumping this thread 'cause it's old and all, but this stuff is interesting. :p

i'm surprised by my results. maybe i'm in denial?

The Midland - 85%
Boston - 81% (!)
The West - 80%
North Central - 59%
The Northeast - 39%
Philadelphia - 33%
The Inland North - 33%
The South - 27% (i thought this would be my highest percentage!)

i've spent most of my life in south central virginia, pretty much grew up there. i think i have less of a southernish accent than many people here, but i cannot completely suppress it. i spent a few years in california not long ago and several people remarked on my slight southern accent on certain words. i guess those words weren't on the quiz? :p anyway, i'm kind of baffled.

Marc7

Your Result: The Inland North

89%

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

76%
The Northeast

73%
Philadelphia

58%
The South

50%
The Midland

22%
North Central

19%
Boston

14%
The West

This is accurate for that the second because most of percentage was from the northeast and im from the northeast.

Last edited:

cowboyup

Yup, I was born in Michigan.
and I ask for pop

Your Result: The Inland North

85%

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

75% The Midland

65% The South

64% The Northeast

60% Philadelphia

29% The West

6% Boston

2% North Central

squidgee

Your result: The Northeast

Philadelphia: 87%
The Inland North: 85%
The Midland: 60%
The South: 54%
Boston: 44%
The West: 18%
North Central: 2%

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

I have no idea what any of this means.

MollyBeGood

Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Result Breakdown:
84% The West
72% The Midland
58% North Central
42% The South
34% Boston
8% The Inland North
0% Philadelphia
0% The Northeast

Roman Legion

The Midland 95%

The West 80%

Boston 63%

North Central 59%

The Inland North 48%

Philadelphia 40%

The South 38%

The Northeast 33%

My speech patterns come from the Metropolitan D.C. area and Ireland. I do not believe I have an accent and southerns always seem very hostile if they happen to hear me speak. When we first moved to this area, we were constantly called "Yankees". I am not sure I have a voice for radio, but I have the face for it. Having been to all the places the 'midland' accent approximates I am from, I can tell you those people all have accents and I do not sound like them.

Last edited:

5arah

The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Lol. Try small Western KY town.

ShyPrincess

Your Result: The West

96%

85%The Midland

50%Boston

46%North Central

46%The South

4%The Inland North

0%Philadelphia

0%The Northeast

True I'm a Florida Girl :)