What's you American Accent? (quiz! :D)

coyote

if you think the words 'tire' and 'fire' rhyme with 'bar'...

and the word 'I'm' rhymes with 'Tom'...

and the word 'wash' rhymes with 'marsh'...

and the words 'egg' and 'leg' rhyme with 'vague'...

congratulations, you're from Oklahoma!

Section_31

if you think the words 'tire' and 'fire' rhyme with 'bar'...

and the word 'I'm' rhymes with 'Tom'...

and the word 'wash' rhymes with 'marsh'...

and the words 'egg' and 'leg' rhyme with 'vague'...

congratulations, you're from Oklahoma!

you forgot to mention "roof" sounds like ruff :D

Phoenixx

Do you have rednecks in New York? Amazing. I'd of never guessed.
^ The part of NY where I live we do. I live upstate near PA, no where near the Big Apple. The population of cows exceeds the population of people around here I think.

Agent_Violet

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia

100%

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

90%
The Midland

78%
The Inland North

77%
The South

76%
The Northeast

31%
Boston

25%
The West

8%
North Central

Very cool quiz:) I've lived near Baltimore,MD most of my life

Gadfly

Your Result: The Midland

90%

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

87%
Philadelphia

65%
The South

64%
The Northeast

63%
The Inland North

44%
Boston

41%
The West

22%
North Central

1BlackSheep

I would definitely consider Pennsylvanians to have an accent - Western PA, anyway. I lived there and there was a distinct sound to their words that we don't have up here in New England.
I used to have a boss who was from Philly and he had a very distinct accent, different from that of someone from NYC or Boston. I definitely know the Philly accent when I hear it!

and New Yorkers don't pronounce that "r" either - at least not the way we pronounce it in New England (and California, and elsewhere in the USA...).

Probably other letters that are similar too, the "r" just sprang to mind.
Is it just the Boston accent where it sounds like they add an "r" on to a word if it ends with an "a". For example, they would pronounce "sofa" as "sofer".

Last edited:

Phoenixx

I would definitely consider Pennsylvanians to have an accent - Western PA, anyway. I lived there and there was a distinct sound to their words that we don't have up here in New England.
^ I've never been to Western PA, so I find this interesting. I'm assuming they sound different than those in eastern PA?

I used to have a boss who was from Philly and he had a very distinct accent, different from that of someone from NYC or Boston. I definitely know the Philly accent when I hear it!
^ Yes, Philly accents are pretty distinct and definitely different than those in NYC or Boston. My dad, since being born and raised in Delaware (and an hour from Philly), has that accent and will most likely always have it. My friends say he talks funny. I think they're crazy and that they talk funny. ::p:

twiggle

Strange, as a Brit, to read just how many American accents there are... I've only ever picked up on three that I can distinguish between...
I'm intrigued on how they all sound now :p

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Strange, as a Brit, to read just how many American accents there are... I've only ever picked up on three that I can distinguish between...

These are just the general accents, a lot of these accents have sub-accents in them too, like the New Yorker accent is different depending on whether you are from Brooklyn or Manhattan (like, really different). And some of the New england accents are a lot more posh and English (england english) sounding as opposed to a more french Canadian sounding accent.

There's a really good documentary on it, I think called "American Tongues" which addresses all the different accents and dialects in the US. I've had it shown in 3 or 4 classes through my schooling (so far), it really is interesting if it's the one I'm thinking of. Here's a link to it (it looks like the right video but if it ends up being really boring than it's not ::p:) American Tongues - Video

Is it just the Boston accent where it sounds like they add an "r" on to a word if it ends with an "a". For example, they would pronounce "sofa" as "sofer".

Hmm. I know what you're talking about - a family friend who grew up in Massachusetts used to say "soder" for soda (drove me bonkers). I'm really not sure what that is - maybe it's a specific part of Massachusetts. I don't think Bostonians generally say "sofer", but... maybe I'm wrong. I need to pay more attention next time.

^ I've never been to Western PA, so I find this interesting. I'm assuming they sound different than those in eastern PA?

I would say so. I went to high school in Eastern PA but I made several trips to Western PA and had some good friends from the Pittsburgh area. They have a slightly different sound to certain words than in Eastern PA. They're more "country" out there ;)

I feel the same way about English accents. I've always known there were quite a few but recently I've heard some I had never heard before. I love English accents :3

There's a really good documentary on it, I think called "American Tongues" which addresses all the different accents and dialects in the US. I've had it shown in 3 or 4 classes through my schooling (so far), it really is interesting if it's the one I'm thinking of. Here's a link to it (it looks like the right video but if it ends up being really boring than it's not ::p:) American Tongues - Video

Oooooo, I'll have to watch it. I love anything involving language/accents. It's kind of a passion of mine.

twiggle

These are just the general accents, a lot of these accents have sub-accents in them too, like the New Yorker accent is different depending on whether you are from Brooklyn or Manhattan (like, really different). And some of the New england accents are a lot more posh and English (england english) sounding as opposed to a more french Canadian sounding accent.

Hey, this video looks great :) I'll bookmark the link to watch it in full when I'm not about to go to bed, but in the first 5 minutes I've heard a whole array of different tones.
I honestly had no idea the accents could vary so much between 'south', 'new york' and 'the rest'. I've learnt something new today :bigsmile:

Insanewoman389

Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Result Breakdown:
88% The West
75% The Midland
73% North Central
50% Boston
38% The South
15% The Inland North
0% Philadelphia
0% The Northeast

Quiz URL: http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

I'm from Florida and while most of the time I don't think I have an accent I can sometimes hear a southern twang lol

Phoenixx

I would say so. I went to high school in Eastern PA but I made several trips to Western PA and had some good friends from the Pittsburgh area. They have a slightly different sound to certain words than in Eastern PA. They're more "country" out there ;)
^ Well perhaps that is why the people here where I live speak more "country" too. I mean, duh I live in a rural area, but it's right near the border of northern PA, and a lot of people here do have connections to the western side of PA moreso than the eastern side.

^ I love reading about accents. It's so interesting. Definitely going to make note of this documentary to watch later. The video itself though isn't working for me. Maybe I'm being too impatient for it to load... :thinking:

Your Result: The Inland North

93%
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Pookah

Accurate.

Your Result: Philadelphia

100%

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

90%
The Midland

78%
The Inland North

77%
The South

76%
The Northeast

31%
Boston

25%
The West

8%
North Central

teandtoast

Your Result: The Northeast

94%

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

87%Philadelphia
85%The Inland North
60%The Midland
54%The South
38%Boston
18%The West
2%North Central

paperie

Your Result: The Inland North 89%
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I don't say pop D: D:

lilmutegirl

Just as I suspected...

Your Result: The West 96%
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
95%
The Midland
75%
Boston
73%
North Central
33%
The Inland North
27%
Philadelphia
27%
The South