What makes you reply to a thread and stray from others?

Kat

It just seems like some people get more of a response to their post then others. Considering this is social phobia world you think people would be more receptive to that kind of thing. What are your thoughts and personal experiences? ::eek::

Last edited:

shore_of_glass

if I can relate, I reply
if someone is asking for advice and I can't give any (not good at that anyways lol), I don't reply.

Lonelykitsune

I tend not to reply to people asking for advice because i dont have any.I read peoples personal storis but cant really think of a reply to them.I also try to not gt involved in threads that have lots of debating(like religion especially) cause i cant come up with good enough answers.

I have yet to actually make a thread so ive no personal experiences

losttroy

I think it sucks when people don't reply to what I have said. I always look and look, and sometimes look again. Posting can be a wonderful feeling for someone who feels down at times, because when the threads a hit, it's like you've gotten your book on the Best Seller's List!!:) Definitely a confidence booster, and I so need that sometimes.::eek::

Honestly, the simpler and stupider a thread is the more likely I am to reply to it. I'm less likely to bother reading a long post and I'm less likely to be able to quickly come up with a confident response to a complex issue presented intelligently (compared to a simple issue presented badly where it's easy to disagree with the post). A good post often requires a more detailed response, which can be more than I feel like bothering with.

If somebody doesn't get many replies, it probably means they're writing good threads that make people think.

Last edited:

Krista

It just seems like some people get more of a response to their post then others. Considering this is social phobia world you think people would be more receptive to that kind of thing. What are your thoughts and personal experiences? ::eek::

Ha, you'd think so right. I have this same problem. If it's a thread I can't seem to find an answer or opinion for I usually don't bother but then in turn I don't think about how that makes that person feel. I know that it does make me feel bad posting something and seeing people read it but not reply. Makes my problems feel insignificant to others and that sometimes I'm not relatable or likeable. Especially if it's a subject someone else will post about later and get tons of answers to but what are you gonna do. People will do what they want.

mrb

lol iv been here for ages .. just go on chat box and talk ::p: you will soon get lots of responses .........

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I reply only when I have something productive to say, when I can relate to the post or have some advice to give.

Being the President of the United States really helps...

losttroy

You won't be when 2012 rolls around, bra. See that photo of me? That's your Republican. You better hope you can cure cancer.

hippiechild

If the topic is unique, I usually reply. If I can relate to or have experience with a certain topic, I tend to reply with longer, more thoughtful responses. A more lighthearted thread environment also makes me more likely to take part... seriousness is for Stingy Sallys.

Basically, if I think it's neat and haven't seen it twelve hundred billion times before, I'll reply... this thread on reasons for replying to threads is a perfect example, very neat.

edit* I realized that I am much more likely to reply to threads that focus on general concepts and abstract ideas rather than specific events and people... maybe the way that those events and people are much like other events and people, but nothing about particular people or things exclusively. Of course, this gives me the opportunity to say anything that I like without any obligation or commitment to it.. weasel words galore... but I also find the abstract ideas to truly be more interesting, which leads me to learn more about it, which gives me something to say, which helps me to end up replying

Last edited:

Kat

Yeah, this is great insight thanks, for the replies. I definitely can understand what you’re saying in terms of being able to relate to people’s posts and such and worrying as to why people haven’t replied to your posts . It is impossible to reply to everyone’s posts, I know! And even if we all do have a common problem we still have our unique interests. I try not to think the worst but I would be lying if I said it didn’t cross my mind.

I always think about this when reviewing threats/posts. Sometimes, I'll begin a new threat that I think is golden, warranting hundreds of replies. lol Not so. Some of my threads fizzle and die out, leaving me confused and somewhat dejected. I figured more people would have something to say about the Olympics, or what they dislike about society - oops. Also, I notice that I compare my questions to others, but I should quit that.

If I can't think of anything helpful or if it doesn't feel natural, I usually won't reply. I think about whoever started the thread and feel bad if I can't contribute. It has nothing to do with my shyness, though.

AGR

I dont really pick what I will answer,if I am reading something and feel like adding or have an opinion about it, I will post.

Luke1993

A very good question. There are a few things involved in this.

First of all when looking at other topics I tend to reply to them any way I can, so that I can become more liked and popular. If I don't reply to a certain topic it would be either because there are too many popular people posting and I'm fairly intimidated by them, (Because they're cleverer and more liked), or it might be because I don't actually have anything to say.

When I make a topic I spend around an hour contemplating topics which may or may not have been done before, and then I try to write it, sometimes I end up not creating the topic in the end, and sometimes I successfully make the topic.

I feel very down when people don't respond, because I feel as if I'm being ignored, or I'm not very well liked. But if I manage to get a topic to 3 pages then I feel very happy and I consider that a success.

I need to get a life lol.....