What do you do when walking down a street?

Qurion2

i watch the way other people behave, walk, how they hold their arms, if women move their butt, how they do it, how men walk, while doing such listening to music that touched at least once something inside of me

dancingintherain

I usually daydream but when someone walks by I become self-conscious and don't know where to look! I dread it when they say hello, or good morning
just how it is, isn't it?

Foxface

I usually daydream but when someone walks by I become self-conscious and don't know where to look! I dread it when they say hello, or good morning
just how it is, isn't it?

People usually don't say anything to me, but when I do, I just reply Hi, in a cheerful way. Sometimes, I'm caught off gaurd when they do.

MikeyC

People usually don't say anything to me, but when I do, I just reply Hi, in a cheerful way. Sometimes, I'm caught off gaurd when they do.
I'm definitely caught off-guard when random people greet me. Just a simple "hi" and a smile will do wonders.

2QuietForThem

I walk as fast as possible, hoping that no one messes with me. I started my speed walking while in high school. One good thing about it is that co-workers always think I'm busy or going to handle some urgent busy. Heck, I'm probably just going to get something to eat!

hoddesdon

I put one foot after the other. Generally my first step is with my left foot, since I am left-handed.

Facethefear

I used to wear sunglasses all the time when outside and it helped to calm me down because my eyes were hidden. I would think they couldn't see me but I could see them.

razzle dazzle rose

I scan the area, I view and examine everything.

That is what I do too. I look at everything and everyone. I have to be aware of my surroundings that is why I could never walk in public with my ipod (though I used to at college. MEMORIES!) It is just not safe to do so. But if I could I would! I can get anxious walking...I try and distract myself by noticing the birds. Animals make everything better.

I used to wear sunglasses all the time when outside and it helped to calm me down because my eyes were hidden.

YES! Sunglasses are a must. But then it gets late or it is cloudy and I have to take them off :(

I'm definitely caught off-guard when random people greet me. Just a simple "hi" and a smile will do wonders.

This always happens to me. I can't get myself to react fast enough to greet them back. I try a smile but I am sure it doesn't look like it. Definitely need to practice smiling...

Foxface

That is what I do too. I look at everything and everyone. I have to be aware of my surroundings that is why I could never walk in public with my ipod (though I used to at college. MEMORIES!) It is just not safe to do so. But if I could I would! I can get anxious walking...I try and distract myself by noticing the birds. Animals make everything better.

When I walk, I take veverything in and notice everything, as if I'm suppose to. It helps not showing my emotions/weakness becuause I'm preoccupied., I find.

psych

I like to chew gum, if I have any, I might smoke... (no not addicted, is occasional thang) I feel better if my mouth or hands are occupied for some reason. I'm always carrying something, so that helps.

I tend to look at houses, & foliage, trying to keep a steady pace. I do tend to walk fast, so I have to remind myself to slow down. I prefer to drive, unless I have company, & it's not a hot day.

mrlonely1

If people are around, I get self conscious. I hate being conscious cause it makes me feel like people are just starring at me and judging me. So when I'm walking down the street my self conscious makes me start thinking of how I should be walking, how should I act, should I have one hand in my pocket or both, should I look up or down, and anything that has to do with self conscious

Last edited:
I don't look directly at the person or make eye contact once they get close to me (within ~6 ft of me). On narrow streets I usually yield and give the other person more than enough space to pass without touching me. If I'm walking behind a woman by herself I'm careful not to trail close behind her for long, or to follow the same route as her. I would often cross the street or take an unnecessary turn in order to avoid following!

THeCARS1979

If Im walking in Manhattan , I could be walking with Starbucks coffee, I ll glance, not look up a the sky, I may look at the people passing, the buildings, cars coming from left and right if at intersection. I maybe noticing girls walking by and admiring how hot they look. I maybe looking at ads in times square or the ads on buses as they pass. If Im at the mall pretty much relatively the same thing.

I suppose I focus in my head about the place I'm supposed to get to. I realise that I hardly pay attention to anything else that's not in my line of sight of my target destination!

KiaKaha

Banned
Mostly I just wonder what kind of people they are like and where they are all going...
I dont like walking in crowded streets. I feel uncomfortable... I find it interesting how people will go out of their way to ignore one another.

I_jailed_me

I constantly try to avoid eye contact and i am always thinking "does he know i am anxious, will he see my eyes freaking out, will that also get them anxious and judge me, will people think i am a douche or crazy because of that"

The same train over and over, Any one else have these thoughts?

Last edited:

SoScared

I constantly try to avoid eye contact and i am always thinking "does he know i am anxious, will he see my eyes freaking out, will that also get them anxious and judge me, will people think i am a douche or crazy because of that"

The same train over and over, Any one else have these thoughts?

Hi, I'm interested in your quote 'the same train over and over'. Have you ever tried to break this train of repetition? I ask because this is what I am trying to do now. This again and again element to my gaze direction whenever someone comes into view seems so unnecessary and unwanted. The consensus of this thread seems to be 'think about something else' and by doing so one loses their preoccupation with other people. Its working for me.

Agent_Violet

I stare through people. Look at something straight ahead in the distance. I've been told it's very unnerving and gives off a strong vibe of confidence...so i continue to do it;-)