Too Fat Polka

Silatuyok

I was appalled when I heard this song playing on my list of popular songs from the 1940's. Thoughts? Is this just wrong, or do we just need to lighten up as a society (no pun intended)? I know I would be offended by a Too Skinny Polka!
Too Fat Polka - YouTube

WeirdyMcGee

From the 1940's?
There are plenty of offensive songs from back then but they weren't considered offensive as there was no such thing as 'politically correct'-ness.

Then again-- most RAP and POP music of today offends me and yet; someone else may blast the music in their car and think nothing of it.

Starry

I actually found that hilarious... But political correctness doesn't wash with me... I don't think it's supposed to be offensive, just funny... Believe me, there are tons of offensive things out there and I definitely object to a lot of it... I have major issues with my weight and I am incredibly sensitive about it, and I am offended by certain things to do with being fat or too thin, but that wasn't one of them.

OceanMist

I agree. I can't believe this song was popular back then. I can't imagine what would happen if this song came out on the radio today. There would be women everywhere trying to end the radio stations that played it.

I do think too much weight on a person is something that can be resolved with all the losing weight programs and nutrition plans we have today, but I also don't agree with making songs about women being overweight and using that as a comedy hour.

I have been looking for women to date that are closer to my weight class, but I'm not making songs about it and using it as comedy. What's interesting is that that guy who made that song profitted big time from it I'm sure.

Brutal comedy actually does still go on though. Look at stand-up comedy. They will make fun of anything and everyone.

paperie

I was at an Austrian festival one time and the band started playing that song. I was looking around and I saw a bigger woman with an uncomfortable look on her face. It made me feel bad, I wish people were more sensitive sometimes....even if that does sound a bit uptight.