The Undateables (UK TV programme on C4)

nightcrawler

Anyone been watching this? I imagine a lot of people here on this forum (myself included) can relate to some of the people in this TV series. There was a guy in the first episode who had Aspergers Syndrome, which I guess is the closest thing to SAD/SP. Some of the first dates shown I have found really hard to watch though - they are so cringeworthy ::eek:: they are also putting me off dating even more than before! It's the last episode tonight and I really hope they go back and revisit some of the earlier people shown, as they didn't really show what happened after their initial dates. I liked the guy with Tourette's - and his dates seemed to go well. Would be good to know how it went after.

Meggy0001

I only watched one episode and I thought it was really sad ::(: like they where nice people and to be honest they deserve to find love more than some people in this world.
But I don't think that most of them will ever like really fall in love if you know what I mean, becuase they are not dating these people because they like them but becuase no one else will give them a chance and that is rather day but it's a really good show though :)

twiggle

I've found it a very eye-opening programme. I'll watch tonight's episode at 10pm when I'm in bed. It's so sad that these people find it so much harder to find love. The one last week with the guy with facial tumours was particularly upsetting, I think because there was so much emphasis on the idea that people would rule him out as a partner just from looking at him.
Nobody should feel as though they're 'undateable'. It's a shame that so many do.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I found eye-opening but ultimately depressing, as a disabled person myself. ::(: I mean, I admire Channel 4 for commissioning the series. But I think it's a topic that is still somewhat taboo, to an extent. And not really talked about.

Last edited:

coyote

Found it on Youtube, not sure if other countries can view it.

The Undateables - The Undateables - YouTube

meh-vflQF1ybI.png

Waybuloo

I found a few things to be interesting for me,

That they all had so many different personalities, just like normal people.

That first dates are cringe worthy not because of their disabilities (some of them have great personalities), but because most dates are like that, so it's just a reflection of the wider world.

That the ones who had the most success - i.e. able to secure a second date are either normal looking (the aspergers guy who looks quite cute), or are very humourous (the guy with tumours and the autistic/ocd man).

That despite having disabilities, people are still people underneath and can be just as judgmental or selective. The girl with the birth deformity who was in a wheelchair wanted a tall police man and didn't think her date was tall enough. I mean, she is judging other peoples appearances? Why not just get a guy and make him wear the uniform? The autistic man also didn't like the French woman, even though she was dead nice and down to earth. Not to mention the blonde in the wheelchair, who actually got on my nerves because had she not been paralysed, she would've just been an ordinary cheap looking slapper :p

dyingtolive

this will be interesting to watch.. i havent watched tv in ages.. its nice to see people that don't give up even if the odds are against them..

^ havent seen the stuff you were referrin to yet though :D

Waybuloo

Channel 4 has heaps interesting programs. I watched one where a mum eats placentas and makes a business out of making edible other women's placentas.

How_slow_the_Wind

It's an interesting premise for a show. I wish they didn't have that annoying quirky music underlying it though. It's quite condescending; it encourages the viewer to see it as a circus, something to laugh about rather than to try and empathise with their position. But I suppose that is what it takes for it too be broadcast to a large audience.

That first dates are cringe worthy not because of their disabilities (some of them have great personalities), but because most dates are like that, so it's just a reflection of the wider world.

That the ones who had the most success - i.e. able to secure a second date are either normal looking (the aspergers guy who looks quite cute), or are very humourous (the guy with tumours and the autistic/ocd man).

That despite having disabilities, people are still people underneath and can be just as judgmental or selective. The girl with the birth deformity who was in a wheelchair wanted a tall police man and didn't think her date was tall enough. I mean, she is judging other peoples appearances? Why not just get a guy and make him wear the uniform? The autistic man also didn't like the French woman, even though she was dead nice and down to earth. Not to mention the blonde in the wheelchair, who actually got on my nerves because had she not been paralysed, she would've just been an ordinary cheap looking slapper :p

Haha I must admit the blonde in the wheel chair did annoy me a little. I can sympathize to her condition but she was....a little too judgemental and picky.

Last edited:

doubleM

pretty interesting. my only problem with it is these people all have really obvious disorders or handicaps. there are also plenty of "undateable" people without handicaps. they are not handicapped, but are undateable because of social status, personality, interests, and/or appearance.

Last edited:

AGR

Well I didnt watch the show,I also dont know if it is the case,but in my opinion some people who are afraid to get hurt end putting up walls to protect themselves,even if they dont realize,I see that now, it may appear or it is judgemental to others,its just how some react.