The Undateables (UK TV programme on C4)

Waybuloo

The guy with Aspergers Syndrome has better social skills than me. :|
Interesting show, but hard to watch.

Yes I thought he was dead charming and attentive, so he came across more of an eccentric rather than 'disabled' or 'undateable'.

From looking at comments referring to that show on the net, I gathered that a lot of people find the show offensive because of the title, when you can't just say a person or a group of people are undateable because of a condition they have. I think it would've been more appropriate to have the title 'undateables?' instead.

bcsr

Oh geez, I couldn't watch that. If I see other people anxious, even on tv or in a movie, I get anxious in real life.

ありがとう

Found it on Youtube, not sure if other countries can view it.

The Undateables - The Undateables - YouTube
I just finished watching it. They all seem relatively normal despite their quirks. I found Richard to be kinda cute in a sweet way (but eating his date's food - oh dear ::p:), Luke seem pretty cool-headed, the girl, even though she was disinterested, she could have at least been more polite and showed a bit of enthusiasm, but maybe that's just me. Most of these seem quite common in dates though, such as being nervous and having nothing to say. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be but looking at the previews, I know some of them would be quite hard for me to take in.

Just watched the 3rd episode. Sam and his partner were so cute ::p:
And yeah the way C4 presented it makes it look like a freak show especially with the background music playing - which is really a shame. There are bound to be people who will make fun of it though and sometimes I feel like that's what C4 is trying to do, to get some reaction out of their audience with their 'extraordinary' documentaries :/

Last edited:

nightcrawler

The worst part when watching this is the start & end of dates - they always seem so awkward in what to say. Obviously it's usually like this in real life anyway, but the TV cameras certainly don't help. I thought the young couple in the last episode were quite cute - the ones that met at the zoo, went to the white cliffs at Dover etc. She was pretty cute with a nice smile, and it said they were still together after 5 weeks, which was nice.

They are cruel at my workplace. Some of the staff - in a mostly male dominated environment - have been watching it just to take the piss out of the people in the programme :mad:

twiggle

They are cruel at my workplace. Some of the staff - in a mostly male dominated environment - have been watching it just to take the piss out of the people in the programme :mad:

Yep, I can believe this. Perfectly healthy, able-bodied people who probably have no difficulty getting relationships mocking those who had no choice in being less fortunate.
This is Britain, where all too often people seem to thrive on the downfalls of others. It makes me sick.
That couple at the cliffs were very sweet. The guy lives near-ish to me and it said in our local paper, just a couple of weeks ago, that they were both very much still an item :)

Waybuloo

The worst part when watching this is the start & end of dates - they always seem so awkward in what to say. Obviously it's usually like this in real life anyway, but the TV cameras certainly don't help. I thought the young couple in the last episode were quite cute - the ones that met at the zoo, went to the white cliffs at Dover etc. She was pretty cute with a nice smile, and it said they were still together after 5 weeks, which was nice.

If I didn't have sa I would be mouthing off at these types to shame them. Are these bankers by any chance?

nightcrawler

That couple at the cliffs were very sweet. The guy lives near-ish to me and it said in our local paper, just a couple of weeks ago, that they were both very much still an item :)

That's nice to hear. She seemed like a sweet girl so I hope it works out for them. It made me laugh near the end of the show when they asked the guy what the future holds for them and he said "wedding bells" and the dad was like "huh? :eek:" lol

nightcrawler

If I didn't have sa I would be mouthing off at these types to shame them. Are these bankers by any chance?

No not bankers - postal workers! Due to my SA I'm not very confrontational so didn't say anything when they were taking the piss. Also, due to my quiet nature at work it would have been obvious as to why I was empathetic towards the people in the tv show, which in turn could have drawn attention to my own love life (not that I thought it all through before not saying anything!;))

Sartana

ありがとう;599365 said:
I just finished watching it. They all seem relatively normal despite their quirks. I found Richard to be kinda cute in a sweet way (but eating his date's food - oh dear ::p:), Luke seem pretty cool-headed, the girl, even though she was disinterested, she could have at least been more polite and showed a bit of enthusiasm, but maybe that's just me. Most of these seem quite common in dates though, such as being nervous and having nothing to say. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be but looking at the previews, I know some of them would be quite hard for me to take in.

Just watched the 3rd episode. Sam and his partner were so cute ::p:
And yeah the way C4 presented it makes it look like a freak show especially with the background music playing - which is really a shame. There are bound to be people who will make fun of it though and sometimes I feel like that's what C4 is trying to do, to get some reaction out of their audience with their 'extraordinary' documentaries :/

I watched all of the episodes thismorning too. I think that somebody at channel 4 has their heart in the right place, but like you I really don't like the music. It sounds like the stuff Danny Elfman would do for a Tim Burton film which just helps to make the people in the show caricatures. The exactly same type of music is used for An Idiot Abroad. Problem is that that series is a comedy show, here it's just used to create a freak show atmosphere.

Despite it all though it was pretty interesting and most of the people were sweet enough that it overcomes Channel 4's awful post production.

dyingtolive

just finished watching the link i posted : Richard

It was nice to watch. He did two pretty weird things, eating his date's food and flexing his muscles. But i really loved the way he rebounded after his 1st date. He just made fun of himself but didn't really take it seriously.

The 2nd date was nice to see. Too bad he didn't call his date back because he didn't find her attractive lol. That must've been hard for her

EscapeArtist

I feel like there can be a lot learned by watching one or two of these shows.
Anybody can find love, and the most attractive people are the ones that are open to all kinds
Also despite some awkward moments in some of them (like Richard) nobody ever got laughed at, or even when rejection did happen, it didn't look as scary as I ever imagined, it just looked like the wrong match. He took it very well, too.

A86

just an observation.
i think the fact that so many of the comments demonstrate an emotional response that it really shows the depth of empathy many of the people on this site feel. a very unselfish and admirable trait.