The unanswered questions of the universe

MikeyC

time doesn't exist

there is only this present moment

all things exist in constant transition from one state to another within this moment

time doesn't actually happen - only the transition of all things from one state to another

the concept of time is merely a device to order the states in which all things may or may not have existed or will exist

Maybe it's already happening every five seconds. Makes you think, doesn't it? ;3

Then again, how would one measure years when time ceases to flow? For that to be true there must be some kind of time when there is non.
Well, thanks for the phD answers, guys. I'll just go with aliens. ;)

KiaKaha

Banned
Well, thanks for the phD answers, guys. I'll just go with aliens. ;)

Aliens is the obvious answer for anything that doesnt make sense.
Why do girls flirt with me, are all over me and then I dont get a second date without being told why...?

tumblr_m4jmk10uhr1rpvofco3_400.png

psych

time doesn't exist

there is only this present moment

all things exist in constant transition from one state to another within this moment

time doesn't actually happen - only the transition of all things from one state to another

the concept of time is merely a device to order the states in which all things may or may not have existed or will exist

More mind bending stuff...
I can't quite remember where I read it, but it was probably a horror novel... I read a description of time as a river.
It was credited to an American Indian tribe in this fiction book... & I've come across a real comparison here, below...
Sometimes, when reading, I'll come across something that rocks me a little. Something I can't shake... A concept, or something...

Albert Einstein first proposed this idea 100 years ago that there should be places where time slows down, and others where time speeds up, notes Hawking. "He was absolutely right."

The proof, says Hawking, lies in the Global Positioning System satellite network, which in addition to helping us navigate on Earth, reveals that time runs faster in space.

"Inside each spacecraft is a very precise clock. But despite being so accurate, they all gain around a third of a billionth of a second every day. The system has to correct for the drift, otherwise that tiny difference would upset the whole system, causing every GPS device on Earth to go out by about six miles a day," Hawking writes.

The clocks aren't faulty -- it's the pull of Earth that's to blame.

"Einstein realized that matter drags on time and slows it down like the slow part of a river. The heavier the object, the more it drags on time," Hawking writes. "And this startling reality is what opens the door to the possibility of time travel to the future."
Full story here ->
Stephen Hawking's Time Machine : Discovery News

EitherOr

When added to cereal is milk a beverage, a broth, or a sauce?

Of those three, I would say it's closer to a brother. It's not really a beverage, since it's not in a separate container, and it's not really a sauce, because most people put so much of it in with their cereal. I would say it's closest to a soup sort of concept, so a broth.

EitherOr

Alleigha♥;631746 said:
Why is Kim Kardashian so famous?

Big butt, famous family, lots of money, sex tape.

Why is Paris Hilton famous?
See above, minus the big butt.

Why do poor people have so many children when they can't support them?

Sex is free. Care for children is not. Be safe, folks.

What happens after you die?

Can we ever really say for sure? Many people with near death experiences report seeing a bright light. It's theorized this is the brain trying to make sense of dying or damage to the brain. There's a lot of different theories. See Near-death experience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a more complete overview, definitely interesting.

What really happended on 9/11?
A bunch of hateful extremists crashed a couple of planes. People being people, conspiracy theories abound, but people I knew died in that, and it sure as hell wasn't a "controlled explosion."

Is god real? Is the devil real?
It depends upon what you believe. There's no evidence for either, though philosophers never can for certain rule it out. Some people have their own powerful experiences that lead them a certain way or another.

Do aliens exist?
It depends upon who you ask. When you look at the scale of the universe, it's sometimes difficult to imagine we are alone, but it is a possibility. See Scale of Universe - Interactive Scale of the Universe Tool for an idea of how big the universe really is.

Did the Kennedys kill marilyn monroe?
Certainly this theory exists, and we may never know for sure. Given her history of psychoanalysis, it is probable that it was a true suicide or potentially an accidental overdose. Her breakup with President Kennedy left her depressed. It's also alleged her mother was unstable--did she inherent mental illness?

Why do bad things happen to good people?
By chance, bad "luck," or just because some people are crappy.

Why are some people born with mental disabilites?
Genetic disorders...it's essentially pure chance when you think about how complex the human body is, from the sheer complexity of the brain down to the very tiny atoms and particles that make up our bodies.

Why is life so unfair?
As mentioned earlier, it's likely just pure chance. We have to do our best to get through negative things, because the positive things can make it all well worth it.

Keep your chin up!

NP88

What is beyond our universe? My guess would be a multiverse as in many self contained universes.... ideas?

Flanscho

What is beyond our universe?
Well, our universe is everything within the radius of the matter and energy that is expanding since the big bang. We can calculate the size of the universe, but we have problems seeing stuff that is very very far away, for obvious reasons. Our technology is currently to weak to see if there is anything outside our universe. As of now, there just seems to be emptyness. Maybe there are more universes, maybe not, we don't know yet.

What happens after you die?
The scientific part is this: your current "you", your personality, character and self-wareness, are the results of any information your brain acquired, stored, and how it processed it. Which means that everything you are is basically in your brain, in form of physical matter. When you die, your brain decomposes, and thus also the matter that makes you you. The logical result is, that then there is nothing, same as before you were born.
Some people believe that there is some other form of existence after you die. I personally have my doubts for various reasons. Like, to start, that there is no theory how that should work. If your brain is gone, so is everything that makes you you. Even if some part of yourself would continue to exist, it wouldn't matter much, since it would be a new persona of sorts. In addition, without a brain or sense or anything, how would you perceive anything? In short, to me, and to science, the most logical thing is that there is just nothing. Which has it's ups and downs. Downside is, that everything is over for good. The upside is: if there'd be something after death, it could be good or it could be bad. So "nothing" is better than bad already. What's interesting though is this: while you are dead, obviously, time does not pass for you. So, if for some reason, in a million years, humanity would still exist and would have progressed in matters of technology, they might build a device that could resurrect you. Or maybe in 10 million years. Who knows. If that would happen, and future humanity would resurrect you, then for you it would happen the instant you die, since, again, time doesn't pass for you when you are dead.
Of course there are many problems with this. Maybe they'd do that to torture you, or maybe they couldn't reconstruct your whole brain, so your personality would be gone again, in which case you wouldn't have gained anything. But, you will find that out the moment you die. It's quite unlikely though. That's why some people freeze their bodies or brains, to stop the decomposition. Currently, there is no way to freeze a body that way without harming it. But the people who do that hope, that many years in future, there might be a technology that enables the future humans to unfreeze and resurrect those who die in our present. Whether that will ever work out or not, nobody knows. But they got a better chance than people who let their body rot.

Is god real? Is the devil real?
That's a matter of faith, a personal opinion. For me, neither god nor the devil are real. For many many many reasons. There is a 0% chance for them to be real, for me. I can't believe in them. I'm 100% atheist. Explaining here why would probably be too much.

A Many Splendored Thing

What is beyond our universe? My guess would be a multiverse as in many self contained universes.... ideas?

I've thought that maybe black holes are an entirely separate universe.

So basically we're just a black hole within another universe. I've thought that since black holes slowly dissolve over time, that's why our universe constantly expands instead of retracting.

Our big bang was just a collapse of a sun in our 'mother' universe.

If black holes can somehow distort physics in our universe, then maybe our mother universe is completely different. Anything is possible really.