The unanswered questions of the universe

coyote

Why arent people nice to each other?
Why dont people realize that "we" is better than "me"
Why are people so indfferent to everything that doesnt immediately effect them?
Why do people say they admire traits like kindness, patience, tolerance and compassion when their actions show otherwise?
Why doesnt common sense take place over policy and regulation?
Why cant people understand that their own ego's are the source of the majority of their problems?
Why cant people admit when they are wrong?
Why is it people seem to take but are so unwilling to give in exactly the same circumstances that they once were in?
Why are people so rude?
How can anyone be sure of anything....ever?
How can people not understand the concept of fairness?
Why dont people man up and say what's on their mind rather than dance around the issue in a passive aggressive manner?
Why dont people who have the power to make a difference use it?
Why do people flock toward the popular, powerful and attractive?
Why is there so much stigma attached to the poor or mentally ill?
Why do people think they are such big deals?
Why is it that the weak get blamed for being weak?
Why is status becoming increasingly important and why dont people seem to want to acknowledge that it is?
Why cant I get a girlfriend? eh? eh? and lets face it thats the most important question of all...

if it's true that people are only what we think they are

then the reason for all of this is clear

it's because YOU think that's how they are

now, what happens if you didn't think all those things?

Lea

Banned
Oh wow how did I miss this one....

Why do people say they admire traits like kindness, patience, tolerance and compassion when their actions show otherwise?
Why cant people understand that their own ego's are the source of the majority of their problems?
Why is it people seem to take but are so unwilling to give in exactly the same circumstances that they once were in?
Why are people so rude?
Why dont people man up and say what's on their mind rather than dance around the issue in a passive aggressive manner?
Why is status becoming increasingly important and why dont people seem to want to acknowledge that it is?

Because people are on different stages of evolution and understanding I guess.

Rembrandt Broam

Oh wow how did I miss this one....

Kia, I think you deserve answers.

Some people are nice to each other.
Some people are nice to people who aren't nice in return.
Some people are nasty to people who are nice to them in spite of it.
Some people are just nasty to everyone.

Because sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you have to put yourself first.

Because it doesn't immediately affect them, and like most members of the animal kingdom humans tend to be naturally short term thinkers.

Because sometimes other traits outweigh the admirable ones. Because sometimes people know that they're expected by society to admire certain traits (and therefore say that they do) when in reality they prefer less admirable or noble traits.

Because there is no single definition of "common sense" for any given situation. It differs from person to person. What you may find a common sense approach, I might not. Policy and regulation provides a fixed standard of behaviour for everyone to abide by.

Because it's easier to blame others or outside influences than it is to blame ourselves. "Everyone else must change" is an easier concept to deal with than "I must change".

See the comments about "ego" above. :)

Because once they're out that situation they go straight back to looking out for themselves, and see no benefit to them in helping others who might be in a similar predicament.

Why are people so rude?

Oh shut up! ::p:

You can't. But isn't the unpredicatability part of the fun? :)

They understand it perfectly, but until the unfairness of a situation starts to negatively impact them they really don't have much motivation to do anything about it.

Because many people prefer to avoid confrontation. You never know where confrontation might lead, whereas passive aggressive behaviour allows you to feel better about having made your point while minimising any potential consequences.

See comments on "fairness".

Popular: because people think it rubs off. "John must be a pretty cool guy. I mean, he's always hanging around with Pete, and everyone knows how cool Pete is."
Powerful: because of what powerful people can do for them.
Attractive: because who doesn't like pretty things?

Because they are a reminder of how any of us could end up, and people would prefer not to be reminded. If we pretend that they brought their circumstances upon themselves, then we don't have to consider that we may one day end up in their situation, because we would never be so stupid as to let that happen to us.

Because if you don't think you're a big deal, why should anyone else?

Because weakness is seen as a negative trait, and many people wrongly consider it to be something that people could overcome if they would just "pull themselves together".

Because status is a measure that people use of their relative success. The car you drive, the clothes you wear, the house you live in, the job you do, the brand of phone you use - they're all outward signs to others of how successful you are. I don't think that status itself is becoming increasingly important, but the way in which people demonstrate it is perhaps becoming more shallow and superficial.

Why cant I get a girlfriend? eh? eh? and lets face it thats the most important question of all...

You can! You just have to ask. There's no guarantee that you'll get a "yes" on the first attempt, but the good news is that you can have as many attempts as you like and it won't cost you a cent. ;)

JuiceB

What are unanswered questions of the universe?

Post any unanswered questions you can think of, or answers that you know.

Anything from "Is there a god?" to "Why do men leave the toilet seat up? or down? or whatever it is we are doing"
This first post actually gave me a good laugh, one that I really needed. On the flipside there is a question that I would like to ask God. Why is it that women can't tell when the toilet seat is up? Is it in their blindspot or something?

Just kidding with you lovely ladies.

But I am curious...

KiaKaha

Banned
Well said Rembrandt.

Because sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you have to put yourself first.
Yes - overall though, consistent studies show that when society is more inclusive of all its citizens - everyone is better off. The only reason we have the 'me' society is because everyone believes that everyone else believes in the 'me' society.

Because there is no single definition of "common sense" for any given situation. It differs from person to person. What you may find a common sense approach, I might not. Policy and regulation provides a fixed standard of behaviour for everyone to abide by.

But even policy and regulation stems from someone elses idea of 'common sense' - by that logic whos to say that any rules put in place are correct?

Because it's easier to blame others or outside influences than it is to blame ourselves. "Everyone else must change" is an easier concept to deal with than "I must change".
Yes - this one is could be a little dependent on the context. By ego - I am suggesting that if people didnt think that were as smart/clever/interesting/dominant/self important etc and more humble and questioning then perhaps many problems wouldnt arise in the first place.

Because once they're out that situation they go straight back to looking out for themselves, and see no benefit to them in helping others who might be in a similar predicament.
I will never understand this - this is just sad.

You can't. But isn't the unpredicatability part of the fun?
Not according the majority of what I see and read. People are so sure of their assertions and have it "all figured out" - myself included.

They understand it perfectly, but until the unfairness of a situation starts to negatively impact them they really don't have much motivation to do anything about it.

Once again - sad.

Because weakness is seen as a negative trait, and many people wrongly consider it to be something that people could overcome if they would just "pull themselves together".

Yes - weakness is considered a negative trait. But sometimes people are weak - and they shouldnt be blamed for it. Instead people should ask themselves how they got into that position in the first place.

Because they are a reminder of how any of us could end up, and people would prefer not to be reminded. If we pretend that they brought their circumstances upon themselves, then we don't have to consider that we may one day end up in their situation, because we would never be so stupid as to let that happen to us.

Of course not - we are all too smart to for something like that to happen to us. If only they knew what we knew and were as clever as us then they wouldnt be in that position.

Because if you don't think you're a big deal, why should anyone else?
True - I guess being humble is one of those virtues that people say they admire but really dont.

Why do redheads have big boobs?
I dont know - but I intend to do some thorough research on this.

Last edited:
If everything was in reverse, would that mean everything would stay the same since ''in reverse'' would have the opposite meaning?

dyingtolive

ok heres something... i am getting an ad for this in SPW homepage
Load cell for weight- and force measurement
prod_m2428-01_d1.jpg

coyote

What if time stopped for years and years every 5 seconds? Would we all know about it?

time doesn't exist

there is only this present moment

all things exist in constant transition from one state to another within this moment

time doesn't actually happen - only the transition of all things from one state to another

the concept of time is merely a device to order the states in which all things may or may not have existed or will exist

What if time stopped for years and years every 5 seconds? Would we all know about it?
Maybe it's already happening every five seconds. Makes you think, doesn't it? ;3

Then again, how would one measure years when time ceases to flow? For that to be true there must be some kind of time when there is non.