The truth!

Do you agree with nomethinks?

• Yes

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

Kiwong

There's multiple variations in terms of loneliness?

Of course there is. A more fundamental requirement for human sanity is to feel like you at least fit in. The unkindness of some, like the bullies, and homophobes, can break you so much, that simply trusting people again becomes a mountain to climb. To fit in, to be accepted, that is hard enough, forget about romance.

Thelema

Love isn't about procreation necessarily , or old people and gay people would never be in love. Nature gives us the impulse, but nature doesn't give anything any meaning-that's something people do. There are many good reasons for love besides sex.

IGotSeoul

When you say you love your parents or a pet or any other dear thing of the like, does that mean you want to have sex with them and procreate? Absolutely not. It's a feeling of attachment - a connection.

How about things that are not living? Let's say you love money per se. Why do you feel compelled to say that you "love" it? What MAKES you compelled to say that you love it? A connection. Something about it makes you happy, fulfilled in a way.

What do you suppose differentiates the love of objects/things (i.e. money, art, travel, sports) in opposition to people (i.e. family, friends, significant other)? And upon separating that, what would thereon characterize romantic love from friendship love or familial love? The affix alone (i.e. familial vs. romance)?

I believe they all share love in the sense that love is associated with personal attachment and favourable disposition. But how is romantic love synthesized and how does it contrast with the other loves?

Love isn't about procreation necessarily , or old people and gay people would never be in love. Nature gives us the impulse, but nature doesn't give anything any meaning-that's something people do. There are many good reasons for love besides sex.

That's a really good point.

Last edited:

rbecca

Thanks for the response.

Would you agree that a presumed true love is that combined of close companionship (i.e. best friend, strong interpersonal connection) and physical & biological attractiveness?

If yes, would you agree that we, as humans, have adapted to the social idea of commitment, and through trueness, can mutually decide to limit ourselves to one person to express gratitude and respect through the system we call love?

It is combined with a lot of things. I see my boyfriend (for example) as a best friend but then with loving each other to it,and a lot more then that.
When you hug a friend, it's just a hug, sure it means something,but it's friendship-wise, when i hug my boyfriend.. (kk how do i explain this..) well i feel enjoyment,passion, it's like you ate trash your whole life and finally get to eat Ben&Jerry's or something. Can't explain it.
It's indeed combined with physical,biological,sexual attractions, close companionship etc.
So yes,
And i do agree, i think people can mutually decide to fully go for one another,as in love.
We can limit ourselves to one person.
Though good friends are always nice to have by your side :3

doubleM

You need only look at the Singles and Dating section in Yahoo! Answers to confirm my statements --how irrational are all these people? How miserable are they? Most of the threads posted are of a problem--one that often leads to unimaginable despair... confirm this for yourself.

i partly agree with what he is saying. its always "does this girl like me?" or "my boyfriend cheated on me should i stay with him?", etc. romantic love makes people irrational. anytime you are emotional, logical thinking tends to go out the window. they will endure the misery of being hurt just to keep the person they love. theres always some foolish girl who cant get over some jerk who didnt even love them. or some poor guy pining after some girl who wont give him the time of day. its a pointless waste of time. i wish people would realize that.
it always seems like you cant have a relationship without one person controlling the other to some degree.
love does exist. i was brought up to believe that love is not emotion, but it is what you do. a sacrifice for someone else unconditionally. even if they treated you bad or didnt return your feelings. it would take a strong person to do that. it seems most people are not capable of that.

da_illest101

I don't think that love is a myth, it's an emotion pure and simple. One thing i think is a myth is the one true love, the soulmate, to me that's just a fairy tail.

da_illest101

i partly agree with what he is saying. its always "does this girl like me?" or "my boyfriend cheated on me should i stay with him?", etc. romantic love makes people irrational. anytime you are emotional, logical thinking tends to go out the window. they will endure the misery of being hurt just to keep the person they love. theres always some foolish girl who cant get over some jerk who didnt even love them. or some poor guy pining after some girl who wont give him the time of day. its a pointless waste of time. i wish people would realize that.
it always seems like you cant have a relationship without one person controlling the other to some degree.
love does exist. i was brought up to believe that love is not emotion, but it is what you do. a sacrifice for someone else unconditionally. even if they treated you bad or didnt return your feelings. it would take a strong person to do that. it seems most people are not capable of that.

That remind me of my former best friend, her bf paid no attention to her while she was miserable, wanting him doing stuff with her. All he did was playing his video games while she just stood there watching doing nothing. She broke with him a 1000 times but always went back to him. She sent me some convos they had and all i could tell her was to leave him because it was going nowhere but downhill. She wanted to be with me but instead of giving it a shot she pretty much used me. She used me once,I left, came back to her just to try to be friend, she didn't want to so i left for good. I'm even dissapointed in myself for trying to be friends with her again. At least I didn't ruin my health for love, just wasted my time

Srijita52

I know its a bit outta topic bt can two people of totally different interest be in a healthy relationship?There's this boy that I like & i think he has something for me too,bt we're soo.. different,can it work?also,can two ppl of 90% similar interest only be best friends?

I believe there has to be something else other than just the continuation of the species.
I don't think however that we are puzzle pieces that need to find the matching piece. In this sense i believe we mold to fit each other in exchange for a sense of security and protection from the fears that haunt us.
What I'm saying is we don't love before experience, the same way we don't know what the future holds for us; a reproductive instinct, however, is aimed towards immediate fulfillment, so it's sensed before experience.

Love is the result of reflection, like a checks and balances; procreation is the result of our fulfillment of that basic natural instinct.

da_illest101

I know its a bit outta topic bt can two people of totally different interest be in a healthy relationship?There's this boy that I like & i think he has something for me too,bt we're soo.. different,can it work?also,can two ppl of 90% similar interest only be best friends?

I'm wondering the same thing. Currently me and this girl are interest in each other, we were classmate. At school we had related interest in our prgram and we work well together. Now in vacation our conversation are rarely longer then an hour and it's always about the same topics. We have really good chemistry though

Number32

This guy has recently asked me out but not sure if I should go for it....

Few options:

- You are open for a relationship, and like him = DO IT
- You are open for a relationship and think you might could start liking him sooner or later = DO IT
- You are open for a relationship but don't like him and most likely never will = DONT DO IT
- You are not open for a relationship but like him = Say its all going a bit to fast
- You are not open for a relationship and don't like him = (suprise!) DONT DO IT

Srijita52

Few options:

- You are open for a relationship, and like him = DO IT
- You are open for a relationship and think you might could start liking him sooner or later = DO IT
- You are open for a relationship but don't like him and most likely never will = DONT DO IT
- You are not open for a relationship but like him = Say its all going a bit to fast
- You are not open for a relationship and don't like him = (suprise!) DONT DO IT
I am open for a relationship & I like him too.I think I'm gonna do it,thanks.

Before I can really estimate that, I need to know what the current definition/measure of a illusion is. ::p:

I don't think that love itself is an illusion. I do however think that there's a lot of socially generalized rules revolving it that aren't there on a pure natural level. I think it's a guided/manipulated version of something that isn't an illusion.

But, the feeling itself is generated by chemicals in the brain, so technically that's an a illusion in itself as far nature goes.

Hope. That's all it is. Nothing more nothing less.

We all have right to fear it. We all have right to say it is a risk.

Do not follow through blinded. Be you and what your mind demands not your emotion.

upndwn

I answered no but my answer would probably be both yes and no. I truly believe that love serves a social and biological purpose. But I think it is far to simple that we only feel love because we have to procreate. Love is born from other purposes such as the need for security, companionship and nurturing. I have no doubt in my mind that you can love someone in a non-sexual way. I consider the caring and instinct to protect a child a form of love. The bond between family members is a form of love. The respect and care we have for our friends is a form of love. What we call romantic love usually includes a sexual component, but that is not necessarily the defining factor. I do not think that love has any mystical properties as it is clearly proven to be created by chemicals in the brain. That does not mean that those feelings are meaningless and they most certainly serves a purpose in our society and survival as a species.

A friend

After doing some research, I believe that it is an actual emotion of some sort, except it seems to fade and degenerate over the years. The once happy couples eventually stop caring about their significant other and consider them to be no different than roomates.

That is what I have observed and read online. So...In a way, I do agree with nomethinks.
Although love is an emotion, it's not worth all the work that people put into it. If the feeling of being in love goes away, then I consider it to be worthless.

(sorry if I sound rude or have a bad attitude)