The poor (and even some middle class) can't eat well

Kiwong

I think Some of the reason for poor American eating is proabably cultural. The are other European, African and Asian countries that are not rich (eg China) that have healthier diets. Part of the reason for poor diet is choice, or perhaps the marketing of unhealthy foods in the west. In America and Australia people still choose to eat poorly regardless of affluence.

There is evidence to show that the perfomance of Kenyan athletes is related to diet. An inexpensive diet that is vegetable based.

My diet could be better, and it is my choice to eat the way I do.

Starry

I spend around £50 - £60 per week on food for my husband, myself and my dog (I cook her meals). We eat only healthy food (other than chocolate for my husband) and we're all 100% vegetarian. We don't buy any processed rubbish, (or any brand foods for that matter) and have tons of fruit and vegetables - some of which are organic. We also grow organic vegetables and fruits to add to our intake. You don't need to spend a lot to eat healthily, you just need to be careful and discriminating.

However, I do still think that governments should play a role in encouraging healthier eating and in reducing the cost of organic foods.

ukmale

I spend around £50 - £60 per week on food for my husband, myself and my dog (I cook her meals). We eat only healthy food (other than chocolate for my husband) and we're all 100% vegetarian. We don't buy any processed rubbish, (or any brand foods for that matter) and have tons of fruit and vegetables - some of which are organic. We also grow organic vegetables and fruits to add to our intake. You don't need to spend a lot to eat healthily, you just need to be careful and discriminating.

However, I do still think that governments should play a role in encouraging healthier eating and in reducing the cost of organic foods.

Maybe it helps that the EU subsidize farmers for growing ... But so shocked to hear that our American friends are being forced to get crap surely fresh veg fruit and meat/fish anit that expensive ... I could never be a vegetarian but il tell you want I would never eat any processed food stuffed full of chemicals again ... Maybe its down to time not having time to sit down and cook so more and more processed foods are being made and less plain fruit and veg are being grow so in turn or more expensive in the states .. I for one am glad I live here (uk) cheap local farmers markets

rosewood

i know how you feel. :kickingmyself: this is an idea i was considering.

tower aeroponic plant growing
https://www.towergarden.com/what-is-tower-garden

and heirloom seeds from CA
http://www.heirloomseeds.com/catalog.html

i live in an apt right now, so gardening outside is not an option. plus, i noticed when we did use a local community garden the results were strange. there was a weird white coating on most of the plants. so if i had my choice, i would seal my plants up inside of a greenhouse and include lights.

if i cant do that, then try to get to the farmers markets when they open.

(don't get me started on Monsanto, FDA, and all the family farms being run out of business, and all the arable land being devoured by monsanto....) :eek:mg:

thegunners21

i know how you feel. :kickingmyself: this is an idea i was considering.

tower aeroponic plant growing
https://www.towergarden.com/what-is-tower-garden

and heirloom seeds from CA
http://www.heirloomseeds.com/catalog.html

i live in an apt right now, so gardening outside is not an option. plus, i noticed when we did use a local community garden the results were strange. there was a weird white coating on most of the plants. so if i had my choice, i would seal my plants up inside of a greenhouse and include lights.

if i cant do that, then try to get to the farmers markets when they open.

(don't get me started on Monsanto, FDA, and all the family farms being run out of business, and all the arable land being devoured by monsanto....) :eek:mg:

If I were asked to draw what evil looks like, I would draw a Monsanto logo.

That is precisely what I think about when I eat wild game that I hunted myself. Very low fat, better taste, no chemicals or steroids. Cheap? Lets see, $150 for a state hunting license, To get a 175 pound deer processed at the butcher shop costs me $40, and one whole dollar (seriously) for the rifle bullet used to collect said game with that will take WEEKS to eat every bit of. That equates to roughly $1.10/pound of meat. And those figures are just for one single deer/bear/pig. It's an absolute shame that eating healthier costs so much. I offset costs by the aforementioned hunting and planting a big garden every summer. All kinds of wild game and home grown vegetables to feed myself, my wife and 2 children.

MollyBeGood

That is precisely what I think about when I eat wild game that I hunted myself. Very low fat, better taste, no chemicals or steroids. Cheap? Lets see, $150 for a state hunting license, To get a 175 pound deer processed at the butcher shop costs me $40, and one whole dollar (seriously) for the rifle bullet used to collect said game with that will take WEEKS to eat every bit of. That equates to roughly $1.10/pound of meat. And those figures are just for one single deer/bear/pig. It's an absolute shame that eating healthier costs so much. I offset costs by the aforementioned hunting and planting a big garden every summer. All kinds of wild game and home grown vegetables to feed myself, my wife and 2 children.

ditto to all this! Ah we want to get an elk though.:bigsmile:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
It's been a while since I shot a deer. That post is sort of making me hungry for one. There may be some hog left in the fridge though. :thinking:

I don't think everyone has the opportunity to hunt their own game, though. You need a place to hunt it on, which can be expensive. You need to be able to get there, too.

coyote

It's been a while since I shot a deer. That post is sort of making me hungry for one. There may be some hog left in the fridge though. :thinking:

I don't think everyone has the opportunity to hunt their own game, though. You need a place to hunt it on, which can be expensive. You need to be able to get there, too.

BM205_1.jpg

MollyBeGood

I think you need to go to Canada or Russia to legally hunt griz...they are on the endanger species list here. Bear meat is not my cup of tea, but elk is fantastic, and there are a lot of them in my area so yeah we are gonna try for one this season. There's so many deer here though, mule deer and white tail, they are easy pickins-out the door literally. Can always have venison. I have had wild boar a few times from the south-it was really good. Yep getting hungry!

I think you need to go to Canada or Russia to legally hunt griz...they are on the endanger species list here. Bear meat is not my cup of tea, but elk is fantastic, and there are a lot of them in my area so yeah we are gonna try for one this season. There's so many deer here though, mule deer and white tail, they are easy pickins-out the door literally. Can always have venison. I have had wild boar a few times from the south-it was really good. Yep getting hungry!

I love wild hog! Love the hunt even better than deer hunting, I'm drawn more to hunt a species that can cripple/kill me, I feel it is more sporting that way. I would love to go to canada and go on a bear hunt. If you take bear meat and bake it, then pull it like bbq pork and then bbq it thats some good eating! I ate elk chili a couple times and really liked it.

Rawz

^ Squirrel does taste good.

My dad has always loved fishing, so we eat a lot of fish from that. A friend of my dads loves to hunt, so we've gotten a lot of deer from him. My dad also has always liked gardening a lot, so we grown a good amount of vegetables for ourselves. Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Snap Peas, Peppers, etc.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Not everyone has land they can grow things on, or access to land they can hunt on. This thread is about the poor and lower middle class, remember.