The poor (and even some middle class) can't eat well

Read this article. It's not very long so it won't take much time. It's from 2007 but it is still relevant today from what I can tell: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/DiabetesResource/story?id=4021965&page=1#.UWXZDoX4eOg

Basically the article is pointing out the problem of the rising cost of healthy, low-calorie, nutrient-dense food as opposed to the relative cheapness of high-calorie, low-nutrient food that causes a host of health problems when eaten too much or instead of healthier foods.

I know this dilemma all too well. My family is dirt poor. We can afford some produce, but it is the pesticide-laden stuff only, and not much of it. We certainly can't afford grass-fed beef and we NEVER buy fish, which really should be included in a healthy diet.

This makes me so angry it hurts. I want my family and myself to be able to eat well, and instead we're forced to buy cheap convenient foods that make you fat and unhealthy. White breads/pasta, frozen foods, unhealthy snacks, stuff packed with sugar and corn syrup and sodium. But hey, it's food right, so there's no real wrong being done. Yeah... right. I don't consider any of that truly food. Sure it's edible, but it isn't nutritious.

Why doesn't this issue come up in political forums? Why has no one bothered to speak up about this? I'd love to speak up, but I'm just one person and wouldn't know where to start :sad:

Healthy, nutrient-dense food (including CLEAN fish and meats!) should be available to everyone at a reasonable price. Obviously there are factors at play here, such as - I've heard - there is a shortage of fish worldwide. I guess we're depleting the populations of salmon, tuna, etc. I don't know how we're going to deal with that in years to come. Currently the price is ridiculously high - something like a $20 average for a salmon filet, and that's for a farm-raised salmon - not even wild-caught!

I guess I'm mostly just ranting about it. I really hope this issue is given more publicity. It's more serious than people realize. You are what you eat might be a cliche, but it's true in many ways.

It makes me incredibly sad that my family can't even enjoy fish once a week... never mind the recommended three times a week :( Guess I won't be able to eat a truly nutritious diet until much later down the road. And the rest of my family is stuck eating highly-processed crap and pesticide-laden minimal amounts of produce :(

Last edited:

nodejesque

Yes, opaline... I agree one hundred percent.

Its chaper to buy a cheeseburger from mcdonads than an organic apple at trader joes. The disparaties when it comes to the relative poverty most americans face today is heartbreaking. Sigh... but raising awarness such as what you are doing with this thread, is definitely a step in the right direction.

ImNotMyIllness

It's a shame, healthier foods are more expensive. But, if you shop really smart, you can cut you bill down substantially. (i.e coupons, waiting for sales). Usually, fruit and vegetables are reasonably priced (I now eat a lot of those). Chicken and beef is expensive but I buy that too. I also buy a 20lb bag of white rice. I'm a huge fan of it. I mix it in my salad and add seasonings, vegetables and chicken...It's very healthy and filling.

Cut up cucumber makes a nice and healthy snack. I also eat a little dark chocolate every day, which is good for you in small quantities as well.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I both agree and disagree with this article. Of course I think it's obvious that healthy food is often more expensive than unhealthy food. BUT the thing is, when you eat healthy, you eat a lot less. This is not a myth. I used to eat 3 not so healthy meals a day + cookies, sweet drinks, granola bars etc during the day. Now I eat 3 small to average healthy meals a day and, I drink only water... that's it. Sometimes, SOMETIMES, I eat a miserable cookie to last until noon. Other than that, I don't even think about eating. And for the record, I did not intend to eat less, it just happened.

Now you might say it's still more expensive. I doubt that - Munchies are expensive, you buy some chips and a pepsi and you just spent more than what a brocoli would have cost you - but let's pretend it's the case. I think it's our decision where we want to spend our money. Personnally, food is my #1 priority, and I live in an appartment, drive a car and chose my phone and internet provider according to the money I have left. Not the other way around.

Also, grass-fed beef is expensive because there is not much demand, AND because it's a lot more nutritive than "normal" meat, therefor, you need to eat less of it to be full. If grass fed beef becomes the norm, it will get cheaper. Fish is expensive because we killed all of them so there is no fish left in the sea. You don't need any of them to eat healthy. In fact, the most healthy part of the meat is often what they sell the cheapest, heart and liver especially, and the fat parts - since it is believed that what is fat is unhealthy, which is completely wrong in my opinion. If you eat fat, you won't need to eat much.

But I agree that the government should do something about it - I saw in a documentary that one of the reason why healthy food is expensive, is that most of the time, the permits and certifications needed to be "legal" are so much money and paperwork that they have to raise their prices or else they just go bankrupt... I think it was in "Food inc.".... Not sure... And I think a lot of the unhealthy food, especially meat, is subventionned ... at least where I live

Edit: I forgot the health factor - If you eat and live healthy, you don't get sick much. So you spare money on medication.

Last edited:
I also buy a 20lb bag of white rice. I'm a huge fan of it. I mix it in my salad and add seasonings, vegetables and chicken...It's very healthy and filling.

Not necessarily. There is a huge and ongoing debate about the health merits of grains. Some advise cutting them out completely. But those who advise keeping them seem to universally agree that if you're going to eat grains, make it whole grains. White rice is not whole, brown rice is supposedly more healthy. Yes, some populations eat a large amount of white rice, but that doesn't mean brown rice isn't healthier (if, indeed, grains are healthy to eat at all; and I've become very skeptical lately but can't decide for sure! I think the best way to find out would be to cut them out completely for two to four weeks and then add them back into my diet and see what happens).

I both agree and disagree with this article. Of course I think it's obvious that healthy food is often more expensive than unhealthy food. BUT the thing is, when you eat healthy, you eat a lot less. This is not a myth. I used to eat 3 not so healthy meals a day + cookies, sweet drinks, granola bars etc during the day. Now I eat 3 small to average healthy meals a day and, I drink only water... that's it. Sometimes, SOMETIMES, I eat a miserable cookie to last until noon. Other than that, I don't even think about eating. And for the record, I did not intend to eat less, it just happened.

Now you might say it's still more expensive. I doubt that - Munchies are expensive, you buy some chips and a pepsi and you just spent more than what a brocoli would have cost you - but let's pretend it's the case. I think it's our decision where we want to spend our money. Personnally, food is my #1 priority, and I live in an appartment, drive a car and chose my phone and internet provider according to the money I have left. Not the other way around.

Also, grass-fed beef is expensive because there is not much demand, AND because it's a lot more nutritive than "normal" meat, therefor, you need to eat less of it to be full. If grass fed beef becomes the norm, it will get cheaper. Fish is expensive because we killed all of them so there is no fish left in the sea. You don't need any of them to eat healthy. In fact, the most healthy part of the meat is often what they sell the cheapest, heart and liver especially, and the fat parts - since it is believed that what is fat is unhealthy, which is completely wrong in my opinion. If you eat fat, you won't need to eat much.

But I agree that the government should do something about it - I saw in a documentary that one of the reason why healthy food is expensive, is that most of the time, the permits and certifications needed to be "legal" are so much money and paperwork that they have to raise their prices or else they just go bankrupt... I think it was in "Food inc.".... Not sure... And I think a lot of the unhealthy food, especially meat, is subventionned ... at least where I live

I wish I could convince my family that eating healthy would mean eating less. My mother and especially my stepfather are both convinced that items such as frozen burritos, highly processed breaded chicken patties (is there even any real chicken in those things!?), Cheez-Its, etc. are good to have in the house because they're "fillers" (this is their favorite term to throw my way when we talk about why we're buying crap food). And how are they going to convince picky children to eat things like spinach and asparagus? They barely even eat the few vegetables they do like.

As for fish... of course no one needs to eat fish to survive, but the main reason is to consume the Omega-3s found in them that are purportedly essential for optimum health. I know you can take Omega-3 supplements, but it's better to get it directly from your food, of course. Are there other foods high in Omega-3s? I'll admit I haven't done much research. I don't even really know what role it plays other than keeping your heart, skin, and hair healthy... apparently. Definitely need to do more research.

squidgee

There's nothing wrong with some frozen foods. I find that frozen vegetables are slightly cheaper than fresh and have more or less the same nutritional value. If your family are struggling with meeting nutritional requirements, maybe you could try supplements, though they can be pricey as well.

There's nothing wrong with some frozen foods. I find that frozen vegetables are slightly cheaper than fresh and have more or less the same nutritional value. If your family are struggling with meeting nutritional requirements, maybe you could try supplements, though they can be pricey as well.

We do buy frozen veggies when possible, but some of them just aren't very tasty after they've been frozen. I got some Brussels sprouts frozen once, steamed them up, and boy were they disgusting - soggy and had a very odd taste. Same thing happened to some snow peas I bought frozen. I think the freezing process turns some of the veggies to mush. Some, like broccoli, hold up very well. Just depends.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
As for fish... of course no one needs to eat fish to survive, but the main reason is to consume the Omega-3s found in them that are purportedly essential for optimum health. I know you can take Omega-3 supplements, but it's better to get it directly from your food, of course. Are there other foods high in Omega-3s? I'll admit I haven't done much research. I don't even really know what role it plays other than keeping your heart, skin, and hair healthy... apparently. Definitely need to do more research.

I think omega-3 is highly overrated, I mean yes you need it, but not more than anything else. You find omega-3 in eggs, raddish, winter squash, a lot of nuts, peas, beans, flaxseed oil.... In fact, I just googled it, and you have more than twice the amount of omega-3 you need per day in a single tbs of flaxseed oil. You also have about the same amount of omega-3 in 75 g of a wild salmon than in half a cup of squash. I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with fish....

ukmale

Read this article. It's not very long so it won't take much time. It's from 2007 but it is still relevant today from what I can tell: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/DiabetesResource/story?id=4021965&page=1#.UWXZDoX4eOg

Basically the article is pointing out the problem of the rising cost of healthy, low-calorie, nutrient-dense food as opposed to the relative cheapness of high-calorie, low-nutrient food that causes a host of health problems when eaten too much or instead of healthier foods.

I know this dilemma all too well. My family is dirt poor. We can afford some produce, but it is the pesticide-laden stuff only, and not much of it. We certainly can't afford grass-fed beef and we NEVER buy fish, which really should be included in a healthy diet.

This makes me so angry it hurts. I want my family and myself to be able to eat well, and instead we're forced to buy cheap convenient foods that make you fat and unhealthy.
White breads/pasta, frozen foods, unhealthy snacks, stuff packed with sugar and corn syrup and sodium. But hey, it's food right, so there's no real wrong being done. Yeah... right. I don't consider any of that truly food. Sure it's edible, but it isn't nutritious.

Why doesn't this issue come up in political forums? Why has no one bothered to speak up about this? I'd love to speak up, but I'm just one person and wouldn't know where to start :sad:

Healthy, nutrient-dense food (including CLEAN fish and meats!) should be available to everyone at a reasonable price. Obviously there are factors at play here, such as - I've heard - there is a shortage of fish worldwide. I guess we're depleting the populations of salmon, tuna, etc. I don't know how we're going to deal with that in years to come. Currently the price is ridiculously high - something like a $20 average for a salmon filet, and that's for a farm-raised salmon - not even wild-caught!

I guess I'm mostly just ranting about it. I really hope this issue is given more publicity. It's more serious than people realize. You are what you eat might be a cliche, but it's true in many ways.

It makes me incredibly sad that my family can't even enjoy fish once a week... never mind the recommended three times a week :( Guess I won't be able to eat a truly nutritious diet until much later down the road. And the rest of my family is stuck eating highly-processed crap and pesticide-laden minimal amounts of produce :(

I am sure a few bags of cheap frozen chicken breast and a bag of mix veg and a bag of cheap brown rice anit that expensive where you live cook up a curry healthy don't have to be expenses .. eggs veg healthy omelette stop buying the junk and try and buy frozen plain chicken frozen veg rice potatoes sweet potatoes ect

thegunners21

I think omega-3 is highly overrated, I mean yes you need it, but not more than anything else. You find omega-3 in eggs, raddish, winter squash, a lot of nuts, peas, beans, flaxseed oil.... In fact, I just googled it, and you have more than twice the amount of omega-3 you need per day in a single tbs of flaxseed oil. You also have about the same amount of omega-3 in 75 g of a wild salmon than in half a cup of squash. I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with fish....

Easy to cook and is lighter on your stomach.

ukmale

It's a shame, healthier foods are more expensive. But, if you shop really smart, you can cut you bill down substantially. (i.e coupons, waiting for sales). Usually, fruit and vegetables are reasonably priced (I now eat a lot of those). Chicken and beef is expensive but I buy that too. I also buy a 20lb bag of white rice. I'm a huge fan of it. I mix it in my salad and add seasonings, vegetables and chicken...It's very healthy and filling.

Cut up cucumber makes a nice and healthy snack. I also eat a little dark chocolate every day, which is good for you in small quantities as well.

wow I am really shocked as a European I though usa was cheap for food always thought why Americans was always fat but to say its cheaper to buy a burger than a apple what the Hell .. I did here that smallest mcdonald's drink in the states is the englands largest sounds like Americans can't eat right if all posessed food for chemicals is the only ones you can buy for the money

Thank god I live in Europe I buy big cheap bags of frozen chicken fish veg bags of Brown rice fruit veg pretty cheap over here ... but how expensive is it to cook a curry .. or a salad .. $20 for salmon really I bought one whole side of alaskan cought salmon for £5 at the exchange rate don't think that's more than $8 for a half of a bloody fish so big I cut it up into smaller slices .... Sad to hear that you are forced to eat unhealthy because of only money and not because you don't like eating heathy ...... Il be sticking to my cheap very cheap food from my local farmers market than some unhealthy processed food stuffed full of chemicals ..... Damn over here for like $1 you can bag a stew pack all the veg you need in a box feeds a family just add the meat .... So sorry to hear how bad you guys have it out in the great land if the free there buying junk is cheaper than buying a apple wow shocked

ukmale

Eat Brown rice so much more healther for you

thegunners21

Not necessarily. There is a huge and ongoing debate about the health merits of grains. Some advise cutting them out completely. But those who advise keeping them seem to universally agree that if you're going to eat grains, make it whole grains. White rice is not whole, brown rice is supposedly more healthy. Yes, some populations eat a large amount of white rice, but that doesn't mean brown rice isn't healthier (if, indeed, grains are healthy to eat at all; and I've become very skeptical lately but can't decide for sure! I think the best way to find out would be to cut them out completely for two to four weeks and then add them back into my diet and see what happens).

Actually, brown rice isn't that much healthier than regular white rice. I mean, sure it is healthier, but it doesn't make any significant difference as long as you're not eating rice everyday.

evelyn9

I eat a vegan diet. I shop at a co-op so the produce is mostly organic and local. I don't buy much processed food except for tofu and almond milk. My grocery bill is about $50-100 a week and that includes feeding my two rabbits and my 8 year old.

I don't know what your budget looks like but invest in your health. Eat mostly vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans. Food cannot be more healthier and more filling than that. If you substitute beans/tofu for the meat and fish you normally buy, you are already saving a lot of money, I think. I think I read that somewhere that meat is very expensive compared to a vegetarian substitute. I wouldn't know, personally, how much meat costs. I became a vegetarian before I started buying my own groceries.

MikeyC

I eat nothing but kangaroo fur and desert sand, washed down with deadly spider venom. Nutritious Australian meals. :thumbup:

AGR

Rreally I wouldnt think this would be a problem in the US.
Going a bit off topic, I love eating healthy,I dont spend much with anything else so I can afford it.
I feel much better and full,it was always hard to keep a strict diet,but I am doing it really well now,I was weighting 87 kg in new ears eve,today I was 80.9 kg:).

Thankfully in the market near I can buy quinoa,it was my substitute to rice and brown rice,I dont believe I spend more as I eat less,couldnt do it without grains also,believe me you wont keep a strict diet without those and makes you feel full and energetic.

Also lately I finally ate rye bread and it was wonderfull,at first I didnt like,but after you put stuff on it its delicious,I dont even feel like buying burgers and stuff it is much better and I can make it at home.

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

There's no more middle class. Fish is full of mercury. Grow your own veggies if you can and avoid all processed foods since it's all GMO poison now thanks to the FDA approving them to be allowed in all foods and they, GMo's basically are proven to cause cancer. The FDA is not your friend. A good rule of thumb is buy nothing that has a commercial since it is probably full of processed sh&t. I am leaning a lot about all of this kind of thing as of the last yr and it's positively frightening!

here's some info about Monsanto and GMo's incase anyone is in the dark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xpNa22UBc

Last edited:

this_portrait

Supposedly, companies put stuff in all that convenience store junk food (especially the chips) that provokes kind of an addictive response in many people (especially kids).

Sugar is another thing that is like that on its own. I feel like I've been experiencing that lately, where I'll eat something high in sugar and I'll just want to keep eating it 'til it's gone or I'm full. I need to quit that, because it's not being kind to my lower stomach at all.

Remus

Staff member
You are what you eat....

tumblr_l9hc319GNU1qar86bo1_500.jpg

Liquidised whole chicken (yup bones and skin). Enjoy your mcnuggets.

My family spends about £100 on food a week for the three of us. ($153)
We eat fresh food and no processed so it's slightly cheaper. We do not eat meat everyday. We have done it cheaper than this (£60) when needs be.

I find it odd that fresh veg, meat and fish is so expensive in the US, you're a massive farming nation after all, in the UK we import most of our food apart from fish.

Last edited:

gazelle

I think you should listen to your body regarding what to eat and what not to eat.
Like white rice for example, if you don't have diabetes and don't experience any bloating or uncomfortable feeling after eating it, I don't think you should eliminate it. I come from a culture that's been eating white rice with all their meals for hundreds of years and many people in our relatives have made it to over 90!
I got obsessed with brown rice last year and replaced it for white rice and as a result I started loosing my appetite and unhealthily loosing lots of weight, now I've switched back to white and feeling much better.
A study has recently revealed that brown rice contains more arsenic and more pesticide residue. Plus it also contains lots of phytic acid which (even after soaking) prevents some minerals from being absorbed in your body... So really I think we should listen to our bodies as well before having to wait for the next study to tell us what some things we thought were good are actually bad for us or vice versa.
Don't know about the States, but I think bone broth is a health food that's affordable in most countries. It's been a few months that I've added it to my diet and seeing the difference. The bio-available minerals that you can get from it are priceless!