The horror of the human sex ratio

I know quite a few men that are now in their forties or fifties and that never got married. Strangely enough I never met even a single unmarried woman. I figured that this was probably a coincidence and that I just happened not to know any unmarried women, but when I talked to others about this I found out that many people observed the same thing with their acquaintances: tons of unmarried males, but no unmarried females. So I googled the phenomena and found the wikipedia article on human sex ratio here.

To summarize it, it says that for every 100 women there are about 105 males. Males do die sooner, but this doesn't really begin to affect the ratio until at a very high age. So basically this means that about 5% of the males will not be able to find a life partner, because of a lack of females.

To make this even more depressing, the men that are going to be left standing are probably the socially less adapted type, that is: the men on this forum.

Of course, I am not saying this to depress anyone, but it is actually bothering me quite much. There was some sort of comfort in the fact that for every man without a girlfriend, there was a woman without a boyfriend. The problem was then just to find a woman. The above invalidates that view entirely however and shows that if a man doesn't enter the game soon enough, the odds of finding a partner begin to drop dramatically. Hence, there are many unmarried men and virtually no unmarried women.

Feel free to share your thoughts about this, I'd love to hear how others think about the matter.

dont let it bother you. its those losers in jail, the murders rapists and such that are locked down for life, that dont have a chance at finding a life partner. You on the other hand still have hope. Remember, there are gay men too. So dont discourage!

Mokkat

It's easy to put into statistics like that, reality is more flexible.
If you want an easier shot at getting a partner, move to a big city. Areas where the population is spread out alot tend to have more males than females (farmers, etc) while there are more females than males in the cities - at least in my country

Flowers-Of-Bloom

In my country, about 10% of the population is gay. Just putting that out there.
It's logical to presume that as you get older, the possibility of finding a suitable partner is going to drop. But people are getting married later in life than in previous decades (the average is around 30). Also, the divorce rate is going up. That shouldn't be a good thing, but... yeah.
Perhaps this is looking at it in a far too technical perspective.

Lea

Banned
Once I saw a documentary on TV about a town in Romania (or Bulgaria?), that's inhabited almost solely by females.

Bemzy

Why getting depressed/upset over a "stupid" theory?

Theory and practice are totally different worlds.

mikebird

Banned
Very well put

I'm in my standalone
loneliness
which never hit me so hard.

My sisters in law told me this when I was 10, and they were right

Dad alone for 7 years since Mum was gone. I became alone when I was 25

Lea

Banned
I am unmarried woman in my 40´s, but I am probably an anomaly. I don´t even know if I would want to get married. Maybe meeting someone nice wouldn´t hurt, but marriage is already a bit stretch.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I know quite a few men that are now in their forties or fifties and that never got married. Strangely enough I never met even a single unmarried woman. I figured that this was probably a coincidence and that I just happened not to know any unmarried women, but when I talked to others about this I found out that many people observed the same thing with their acquaintances: tons of unmarried males, but no unmarried females. So I googled the phenomena and found the wikipedia article on human sex ratio here.

To summarize it, it says that for every 100 women there are about 105 males. Males do die sooner, but this doesn't really begin to affect the ratio until at a very high age. So basically this means that about 5% of the males will not be able to find a life partner, because of a lack of females.

To make this even more depressing, the men that are going to be left standing are probably the socially less adapted type, that is: the men on this forum.

Of course, I am not saying this to depress anyone, but it is actually bothering me quite much. There was some sort of comfort in the fact that for every man without a girlfriend, there was a woman without a boyfriend. The problem was then just to find a woman. The above invalidates that view entirely however and shows that if a man doesn't enter the game soon enough, the odds of finding a partner begin to drop dramatically. Hence, there are many unmarried men and virtually no unmarried women.

Feel free to share your thoughts about this, I'd love to hear how others think about the matter.

My thoughts? This is poop.

The original poster did not even correctly read the linked article. The overall world average ratio is 101 males to 100 females. This might make a difference to 1 male person of that group, if people hooked up only with one person in their entire life and stayed with that person (and that person didn't die, etc etc).

You might get a slightly more accurate picture by looking at the list of countries by sex ratio, and specifically the age category of 15-65. For example, in the United States the ration is 1:1.

This is not horror. This is silly.

Last edited:

cowboyup

Apparently I am a rarity among women.
I am 43 and I don't want to get married nor have kids. I like my space, privacy, etc. In the past, before my anxiety hit me real bad, I had a couple bf's but still felt stifled.

I don't know, I guess it's just me but I have all but given up on even finding "a friend who is a boy"

Call me the Female version of Sheldon Cooper...lol

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

The original poster did not even correctly read the linked article. The overall world average ratio is 101 males to 100 females. This might make a difference to 1 male person of that group, if people hooked up only with one person in their entire life and stayed with that person (and that person didn't die, etc etc).

You might get a slightly more accurate picture by looking at the list of countries by sex ratio, and specifically the age category of 15-65. For example, in the United States the ration is 1:1.

Yes, the first thing I thought when I read was how if the data was correct it would be a prime example of how correlation does not equal causation.

MikeyC

Yeah, I was thinking that if a woman breaks it off with a man, that would mean that there's another man that has the chance to get married.

I don't buy it. Unmarried women exist everywhere.

Odo

Banned
It's really not so hard to get married... even if you're completely inept, you could travel to a very poor country and someone would want to marry you (not for love).

What's hard is to be happily married.

AGR

What I noticed is that some guys hog a lot of girls,some girls do too,but its more prevalente the other way around,so what was hard becomes harder.