Social Phobia: Genetic or Environmental?

kyle

Banned
I was wondering when people on the forum were afflicted with Social Anxiety/Phobia? Is it genetic- meaning you were born with it, or did a life experience cause you to have Social Phobia?

apollo

I think it can be both genetic and/or environmental. My mom seems to have social anxiety as well. But stuff that happened to me along the way also contributed to the way I am right now. SA peaked when I was in high school but I have been slowly getting better.

market.garden

I'm not really sure. My Mum isn't that outgoing but my Dad will talk to anyone. I think my environment has been a bigger factor for me personally.

Devrium

I think I already wrote a whole long post on this on a different thread that was really similar.. so instead of repeating my long story xD I will just say, I think that for me it's both. But mainly it was environmental. I also think that it differs for everyone. But it is my belief that nothing is just one or the other. It's the age old nature/nurture debate... I think no matter what it is that we suffer from, we all have a little of both that contributes to our problems and issues. But that's just imo ^^

LadyWench

For me, I think it could be a mixture of both. Anxiety and depression run in my family on both sides. I also think my mother has borderline personality disorder. So, needless to say, people related to me are pretty f*cked up. I'm sure that contributed quite a bit.

I also think I inherited (or at least learned) a lot of my mom's negative characteristics. Not her borderlineness, but severe depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, constant worrying and obsessing. Things of that sort. My mom is totally psychotic and paranoid about many things. Whether it be about health, well-being or expired dates on food. She refuses to eat anything that's a day over its expiration date. Logically, I know it will most likely still be fine to eat, but she won't touch it. Over the years of having to put up with that, I've started to wonder and question if certain foods are safe to eat.

Blah blah. Pointless sh*t. Yeah, I think my issues are environmental and genetic. I'm just messed up.

weokoz

The answer is either one of them or both of them. I think in most cases if there is a genetic predisposition, it is often made worse by environmental factors such as bullying.

dooby-duck

I saw a tv programme a few months ago about genetics and twin studies. I think they found that it was a bit of both. You can be genetically prone to some things but your environment may not trigger it.

Lost Girl

I am quite sure that my brain was wired all wrong to begin with, but environmental factors absolutely played a big part as well.

Predacon

I'm inclined to think its genetic, I mean if it was environmental I'd imagine my brothers and sister would display it to to some degree.

Silvox Black

Ah the age old question...nature or nurture. To be honest, SA and other disorders tend to be a combination of both. The genetics aspect can allow people to be more susceptible or more likely to have it, however the nurturing is what I consider to be more important. It is how the family and friends you have, if any, raise you and bring you up to shape you into who you are. They can cause you to live a life of free happiness or a life of torture, regret, and pain. To answer your inquiry, social phobia is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. This is of course, my opinion based on my research and what I have witnessed.

lyricalliaisons

I think it can be either, it just depends on the person. For some people, like me, I think it's some sort of genetic/biological/hereditary thing. For others, it's environmental. For some, it can be a combination of both.