Social Anxiety Idols - George Costanza-Seinfeld

UnOccupied

Wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes...My social anxiety idol is:

The character of George Costanza, from Seinfeld :). I recently started watching the show and love it. My favorite character, and my new idol is George. I love the way he lets his anger out, so seemingly effortlessly. He does it so relaxed, and it seems like he doesn't hesitate to speak his mind in ANY situation. Not to mention, he's hilarous.

Please feel free to share your SA, or social phobia idol, and if you don't have one, it's fun and uplifting to look for one.

Tiercel

"I'm unemployed, and I live with my parents." In too many ways, I feel like I am George Costanza.

SA or not, Lord Timothy Dexter will always be one of my idols. Especially that bit about the ghost at his wife's funeral (if you bother to read the Wiki article). And I really don't know why, because ignorance is usually such a turn off for me.

nightcrawler

Seinfeld - love it! :D Have all 9 seasons on dvd, am always watching it. Yes George Costanza is a great character.

My personal idol for social anxiety - though she's just more shy than anything - is Amelie. Brilliantly played by Audrey Tautou, if you're shy or have SP then chances are you love this film. I know I do.

Meisiemel

Rocky's girlfriend (& later wife), Adrienne.
The scene where he kisses her for the first time in the original Rocky movie blew me away. I watched that scene over & over. It made me believe a shy woman can find romance.

mads

Seinfeld - love it! :D Have all 9 seasons on dvd, am always watching it. Yes George Costanza is a great character.

My personal idol for social anxiety - though she's just more shy than anything - is Amelie. Brilliantly played by Audrey Tautou, if you're shy or have SP then chances are you love this film. I know I do.

I agree. Amalie is a fantastic movie. One of the best non english movies there is.

overcome.

I love Seinfeld. George is also my favourite main character by far. Coming to think of it, he is confident in his own right.

Pookah

Fitzwilliam Darcy from Pride and Prejudice. Socially anxious but possessing great integrity and willingness to grow.

Idols change, right now its this guy.
bronson.jpg

dexter morgan :) from 'dexter' of course... he's not really socially phobic, he is just 'different', i guess, lol

i'd vote for dexter too...i think he is based loosely on a social phobic character, he's quiet, shy, keeps to himself a lot..hates small talk and idle chit chat. is sensitive and a keen people observer. dexter is my idol

Last edited:

harlseq

George sure gets a lot of pretty girls. For a fat, bald, habitually unemployed ******* he sure knows how to reel em in.

There's no celebrities that actually have social anxiety though, right? And I don't mean the characters that they play :p. I think oprah used to or has social anxiety.... but I don't really look up to her :/

OH yeah, raj from the big bang theory does have social anxiety... rofl. I guess for fictional characters, he's my favorite (I think hes the only character on tv that I've seen with sa :D)

Iseesky

Amelie for sure!

Also, Seymour in Ghost World, Charlotte in Mermaids, Marcus in About a Boy, Mary Katherine Gallagher in Superstar...

None of which really have social anxiety, but which are shy and/or have problems they need to deal with. :)

Iseesky

There's no celebrities that actually have social anxiety though, right? And I don't mean the characters that they play :p. I think oprah used to or has social anxiety.... but I don't really look up to her :/

OH yeah, raj from the big bang theory does have social anxiety... rofl. I guess for fictional characters, he's my favorite (I think hes the only character on tv that I've seen with sa :D)

Umm...I think there's a few that have had social anxiety but have worked through it or are able to manage it. Barbra Streisand, Kim Basinger, Donny Osmond...